Dropped and stuck notes even with new firmware

Everything Phatty.
tele-pet

Re: Dropped and stuck notes even with new firmware

Post by tele-pet » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:43 pm

For me it's pushing the arpeggiator button twice very quickly. That seems to stop the hung note. My setup includes a MonoMachine, MonoTribe (w/ MIDI mod), all routed through a MOTU MIDI Express Xt. The problem was happening a lot until I switched the channel on which the LP an MonoMachine talk to each other (to 14, from 16), which seemed like it remedied it for a sec. But, then it came back. It hasn't been too bad lately. Hopefully the issue is continued to be looked into.

Polop

Post by Polop » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:31 am

it's a big bug of phatty, all my others units (arturia origin, prophet 08 rack) work fine.

gibby

Post by gibby » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:27 pm

Posted some great results today but i guess it didnt go through.
So if this is a repeat my bad.I use an EWI4000s as a controller and stuck notes were a huge PITA I actually gave up on my SP.I was trying to remember how to adjust some parameters so iwent back into ewi manual ,accidently flipped to wrong page and saw control protocal(sends sytex messages) off/on .I turned it off and have just stopped playing my SP for a coffee.I have been noodling for 8 hrs or so with no stuck notes. :D :D :D

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:28 pm

Big news, I have a fix for this now! 100% fixed when using MicroKorg as controller; I don't have some of the other hardware to test but in theory most/all similar issues causing stuck notes are also fixed.

The not as good news, I don't have any solution for Mac users to install this update yet. There's a technical problem to do with the way that CoreMidi handles sysEx data (it breaks it automatically into 256-byte packets, which makes this particular update not work).

So, I'm working on this issue... for anyone who has access to a Windows machine, I'll post update files this week.
It's an update not to the main firmware, but to the firmware on the USB board (which runs its own little processor).

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:45 pm

Hey Amos,

I'm not sure if my midi problem is related (however it may be as it uses a Korg device also):

I'm simply trying to use my Korg KP3 Kaoss Pad as a Midi Clock for my LP and SP chain (for LFO and Arp) using a DIN Midi cable from KP3 Midi Out to LP Midi In.

The problem I get while trying to control the LFO tempo (on just my LP) is that the Rate control in the Modulation section of the LP is still able to be moved, yet changing the KP3's tempo also effects the speed of the LFO - so I experience some offsetting from the tempo I actually want as there are two controls controlling the tempo between the two devices.

The LP manual states that the Rate control in the Modulation section should be unusable when the rate is being controlled by Midi In, so I'm unsure of what is going on here..

Sorry to derail from the midi keyboard controlling issues, however with the Korg-Moog midi problems, I think mine could possibly be related.

Thanks for any help!

<<<<<EDIT>>>>> This was not in-fact a problem and is explained in posts on page 6 of this thread :D

Regards,
David Smyth
NZ
Last edited by David Smyth on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:14 pm

Amos wrote:Big news, I have a fix for this now! 100% fixed when using MicroKorg as controller; I don't have some of the other hardware to test but in theory most/all similar issues causing stuck notes are also fixed.

The not as good news, I don't have any solution for Mac users to install this update yet. There's a technical problem to do with the way that CoreMidi handles sysEx data (it breaks it automatically into 256-byte packets, which makes this particular update not work).

So, I'm working on this issue... for anyone who has access to a Windows machine, I'll post update files this week.
It's an update not to the main firmware, but to the firmware on the USB board (which runs its own little processor).

Even though I don't own a LP/SP, it's good to see you're constantly working hard on finding solutions to software bugs, Amos! :D

As for the Mac issue, I don't know much about programming but, couldn't you send the sysex file directly to a usb port (as a file transfer) on the Mac and not use CoreMIDI ? (maybe this is not the way it works, but who knows? Sometimes any suggestion helps. Even the silly ones... :wink: )
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:50 am

Amos wrote:Big news, I have a fix for this now! 100% fixed when using MicroKorg as controller; I don't have some of the other hardware to test but in theory most/all similar issues causing stuck notes are also fixed.
This is great, can't wait for the new release! :D

I was able to fix the problem since I stopped sending MIDI Clock information to the SP, so I do think is related to what David Smyth says
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:46 pm

OK here is the update USB firmware which should fix all stuck note issues with Korg (and possibly some other) controllers.

The problem was happening due to these controllers sometimes inserting MIDI clock messages in the middle of other messages (like note on and off) - when this happened, the Phatty would keep the clock data but throw away the other message that was interrupted by the clock. If this other message was a Note Off, then you'd get a stuck note. Now this special case is handled properly and everything seems to work just as it should.

USB Update for Little Phatty Stage/Stage II

[Slim Phatty - update not working yet, I'll post a working version as soon as I can... 17 feb]

Again, these are Windows-only updates. Apologies to the Mac users but there is a CoreMidi issue which is currently preventing this update from being sent from a Mac. You'll have to get together with a Windows-using friend, or of course we can update the firmware here at the Moog shop if no other solution presents itself.

Cheers,

Amos
Last edited by Amos on Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi Amos,

Thanks for the update. I followed the instructions on the text file attached, but the SP doesn't seem to react at all. Should I do something on the Phatty itself before sending the firmware?
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

pt.

Post by pt. » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:34 pm

Same thing here with the SP. Tried it a couple of times; powercycling the SP. The SP is also hooked up to an AMT8 which is connected to a Mac. I can see the SP sending a lot of data when the update utility is running. Also tried it with the AMT8 off, didn't work as well.

It worked like a charm with my LP Stage II though, no problems with that...

Patrick.

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:27 pm

Yea same here - My SP's didn't update, but my LP Stage II did..

Regards,
David Smyth
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

vertibration

Post by vertibration » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:39 pm

I have an Arturia Factory Experience controller hooked up to my Mac Mini OSX Lion. I hooked up the SLim Phatty USB/MIDI to my computer. I get stuck notes, and drop outs. I have the latest update. I also tried straight midi from my controller, to the Slim Phatty. Same problem. The Slim Phatty is sending audio through the audio Jack into my FireWire Solo.

Dave Smith Instruments Mono Evolver didnt give me any problems, and I had it set up the same way.

So it must be the Slim Phatty OS.

I just bought my Slim Phatty, and this really sucks cause it isnt a cheap Synth by all means.

vertibration

Post by vertibration » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:39 am

Yea just so I could be completely positive..... I tried everything. I turned my slim phatty on after I opened Live. Connected the midi cable after as well. Disabled all other tracks before I opened an audio track for the Slim Phatty. I have the latest update.

No matter what, the Slim Phatty "WILL" initially work ok for about 5 minutes. Then once you do anything else, the Slim Phatty totally glitches out. I have it set up exactly perfect. My buddy and I have the same interface, and I tested out his interface, and I get the same problem. Like I said in my last post, My Mono Evolver works perfect, so it must be something wrong inside the Slim Phatty. I just bought this from a retailer, and I really want to integrate it into my work flow, and purchase the VST. I cant see how this is going to work for me though. Please release a new update for Mac/PC users as soon as possible.

vertibration

Post by vertibration » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:26 am

I also brought my Slim Phatty to my friends house to try the update on his PC. It did not work at all. The Slim Phatty didnt have any screen that came on.

degas

Post by degas » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:17 am

The SP is the buggiest analog synth ever.
It's almost useless on stage and in the studio.
The Voyager and the rest of my synths are dreamlike in comparison.

Redo the OS and make it work without DAW-interference, hanging notes etc.