New Firmware v3.1 for Slim Phatty, LP Stage and Tribute

Everything Phatty.
geoscience

Re: New Firmware v3.1 for Slim Phatty, LP Stage and Tribute

Post by geoscience » Wed May 25, 2011 10:10 am

Thank you kamilof! I'll go home tonight and re-load the newer build, and try again. I see you have the same combo ( Phatty + slim ) as I do.

-Geoscience

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed May 25, 2011 10:52 am

christopher1966 wrote:
kamilof wrote:WOW :D ! With 662 OS the POLYPHONY (slim + stage) is woking so much better! Awesome work Amos!
can we do it with Voyager and LP II?
thanks
Unfortunately not...
The changes I made to improve polyphonic playing on the Phatty series actually break compatibility with the Voyager's polyphonic mode. The Voyager uses a "note slot" system where the first key pressed will always play Voice 1, and voice 2 will only sound if Voice 1 is already playing a note... voice 3 will only sound if voices 1 and 2 are already playing... this will not work correctly in combination with a Phatty which is playing in the new "round robin" polyphonic mode.

I'll need to ask Rudi if he can update the Voyager to behave the same as the Phatty... then all instruments will work together again, much better than they did before. :)

Regarding the notes hanging if Gate Mode = CV in the new build (662) - I see this; I'm fixing it now. Thanks to everyone who has tested this so far and given me feedback. It's a tremendous help.

-Amos

trexcat

Post by trexcat » Wed May 25, 2011 11:58 am

I'll need to ask Rudi if he can update the Voyager to behave the same as the Phatty... then all instruments will work together again, much better than they did before.

Yes-- please! I would love for my Voyager and LP Stage II to work together in a poly mode (directly via MIDI) that is easily expandable with other SPs.

Thanks for all your hard work on this Amos-- I've been following the thread and can't wait for the official OS release...

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed May 25, 2011 2:05 pm

Dumb question maybe but if Poly has changed, does this mean that Taurus as an Nth member of a Poly arrangement is broken?

Anyway to have the algorithm switchable so that we can continue with current code of Voyager and Taurus until it's consistent all around?

Thanks
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

denoiser

Post by denoiser » Wed May 25, 2011 3:28 pm

The Phatty functionalities are increasing and incresing and it's becoming a very powerful machine. The GATE IN HOLD looks like something useful when using the Phatty as a processor, if it works as I understand. And also, the general responsiveness has increased, or it seems so to me (build 660).

Very great job, Amos.

May I ask for something easy? What about a plain mod source? Sometimes, it's a bit annoying to rely on the filter envelope if you want to use the mod wheel for adding a manual sweep.

Benjaminam

Post by Benjaminam » Wed May 25, 2011 4:38 pm

Amos wrote: NOTE: This is an interim update, I know that the arpeggiator in Poly mode is still a bit buggy. Seems to work fine in Mono mode, so if you have only one Phatty this version should be fine. Really working on the poly stuff at the moment.

NEW FEATURE: MIDI HOLD function using a pedal plugged into the Gate Input jack on the Phatty.
You can use this as a regular CV Gate, and/or you can generate MIDI CC 64 (hold) on/off messages and sustain the MIDI notes generated by the LP keyboard. This is super fun, especially in poly modes. Look for GATE IN: (CV, CV/HOLD, HOLD) on the MIDI SETUP menu.
This seems to not be working correctly on my SEII even in mono mode. To test, I used the a reliable momentary pedal that I've used with my Phatty for the last 2 years. The notes seem to stick on all modes for me. With my pedal plugged in ,it seems to randomly/frequently occur while playing the keys in CV and CV/HOLD mode. With that said, In both of these modes the pedal functions as it originally did. Also, an amazing thing happens in both of these modes. When I depress the pedal it seems to be initiating the filter envelope and holding it at the sustain level until I release. That is, the filter seems to be ignoring Gate CV from the Arp until released. As for the Hold mode, it seems to only be sticking while using the Arp. While in the "A" mode of the Arp, there will be no stuck notes until the momentary pedal is depressed. Seems to functioning correctly, until I release, then it still keeps running. It is as if I changed it into the "L" function . I assume that this is a malfunction and the Arp should have been running as long as the pedal was held down. That's all that I have.
LIttle Phatty SEII, Rogue, CP-251, Soldering iron

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed May 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Update: Apologies for the bugs in GATE IN / Hold functionality in build 662. This was a work in progress; it's much better now.

I'm just working on some fine-tuning of the poly arpeggiator and I can release an update with much better note handling and no stuck notes.

Possibly I can add a "plain mod source" although I keep running out of room in the code...
my recent changes to the note stack have freed some more room; I will see. Adding menu text and UI stuff takes much more code space than just adding new functionality, frustratingly for me... :)

edit: I would like to make the POLY mode switchable between the old way and the new way, but this also would require more code space than I have available. I'll keep trying to optimize... every time I do, though, I end up adding new features and using the space again.

gabestigmatic

Post by gabestigmatic » Wed May 25, 2011 5:28 pm

Hey Amos, I would like to try out the new firmware. I'm wondering how I would get it to up to my Phatty. I tried to hold down the button while powering up in order to get it to go into the boot mode or whatever. Which didn't do anything. What am I doing wrong?

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed May 25, 2011 6:20 pm

gabestigmatic wrote:Hey Amos, I would like to try out the new firmware. I'm wondering how I would get it to up to my Phatty. I tried to hold down the button while powering up in order to get it to go into the boot mode or whatever. Which didn't do anything. What am I doing wrong?
If you are still on OS 2.something, start with the first links in the first post of this thread. Be sure to read the instructions in the zip file carefully, and then also read the first couple pages of this thread for other people's feedback and suggestions about the initial v2 to v3 update. That's how to get the v3 bootloader installed on your LP. At that point, you can go ahead and load the latest v3 hex file from here at the end of this epic thread. I am about to post another update this evening which fixes the gate/hold bugs in yesterday's build.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Wed May 25, 2011 8:55 pm

Hi,
I noticed a hard bug with version 662 on LP Stage
The LP is playing a note every time : the do 1 oct down...very strange...
I tried to load 660, it works fine, then 662, and the same problem happens.
when i play this note, the LP is quiet... but when i push an another, the LP is playing this do.

And the troubles of ground loop (I had several months ago) re- appear.....bleep....don't understand
seems to come from the jack input, when I plug it; the leds/pots on my LP are moving alone...

So i stay in 660 version, but there's somenone who had these bugs ...???

ps = scuse my worth english, french guy...
windows 7 (64 bits) / Ableton Live 9 / Moog Sub 37 & Slim Phatty / soundcard Presonus Audiobox 1818 VSL

christopher1966

Post by christopher1966 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:24 pm

[email protected] wrote:Hi,
when i play this note, the LP is quiet... but when i push an another, the LP is playing this do.

And the troubles of ground loop (I had several months ago) re- appear.....bleep....don't understand
seems to come from the jack input, when I plug it; the leds/pots on my LP are moving alone...

salut
peux tu m'expliquer ton probleme en francais?
je n'ai pas encore installer le 662.
merci
chris de montreal

joe_moog

Post by joe_moog » Wed May 25, 2011 11:15 pm

Amos wrote:Folks with LP and Slim: Please test poly playing. It should be much better now. If you encounter bugs, please let me know about them.
Wow -- I like this Poly mode much better!

I still get the "abandoned" voice I mentioned earlier but not nearly as frequently...

I *did* note that when I made a change to a preset and saved it on my LP, when I sent the Sysex for the current preset to my SPs, both of them showed the "Glide" LED on, even though it's not set that way on the LP (incidentally, it doesn't sound like it's actually ON on the SPs, just that the LED is lit).
Sub 37 • Voyager Select Whitewash/Lunar White • VX-351 • Little Phatty Stage II w/CV out • Slim Phatty (x3)
MF-101 • MF-102 • MF-104SD • MF-103 • CP-251 • MF-108M • MF-105M
Moog Pocket Protector

cliffman

Post by cliffman » Wed May 25, 2011 11:56 pm

[email protected] wrote:Hi,

Yes, I have this same bug, I am about to revert to 660 -
The LP sustains 'D' - I can kill it with MIDI all notes off, or
by pressing the D key, but
when I hit another key, it starts sustaining 'D' again.

point.source

Post by point.source » Thu May 26, 2011 12:46 am

Hi there, i want to update my slim phatty.

When i launch the editor librarian, there's two options: Little Phatty Tribute or Stage, no slim phatty.

Wich one i choose?

thanks

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Thu May 26, 2011 2:03 am

Amos wrote: Possibly I can add a "plain mod source" although I keep running out of room in the code...
my recent changes to the note stack have freed some more room; I will see. Adding menu text and UI stuff takes much more code space than just adding new functionality, frustratingly for me... :)
Why not remove the lower case and special characters to free space? I'm sure people will understand and actually prefer new functionality over lower case characters. My other synth doesn't even let me name patches, it just has default numbers. I know I'd gladly trade being able to name presets for something like a step sequencer (half my presets are named calibration anyways). Also, I know it would be a lot more work maintaining two sets of code, but you could have two versions, one with more letters and a refined UI and one with a stripped down UI and no preset names, but more experimental features.

Thank you for the improvements you have made to what was already a fantastic instrument. Keep up the good work, it is much appreciated.
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff