New Firmware v3.1 for Slim Phatty, LP Stage and Tribute

Everything Phatty.
Assar

Re: New Firmware v3.1 for Slim Phatty, LP Stage and Tribute

Post by Assar » Mon May 09, 2011 2:20 am

Amos wrote:1) not exactly the bug you think it is. Each preset gets a "tuning number" (in advanced preset) - looks like older presets get "0" as the default tuning number per preset. When you change preset, it loads the Tuning as specified by the new preset. This is why it resets to "Equal Temp" when you change preset.

2) There are two real bugs though. One, you can change the Tuning Number in Advanced Preset, but when you save the preset, it does not save the new tuning number! I already fixed this. Second bug, the global Tuning Scale page shows the global tuning number, even when preset has loaded a different tuning. It's too confusing; I'll fix this tomorrow.
Oki.

Any comment on the arp 'staccato' issue?
(http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... 276#p83262)
Assar wrote:- It doesn't play legato, just staccato notes. If you put it on 1/4 it plays like: 1/8 note, 1/8 pause, 1/8 note, 1/8 pause, 1/8 note, 1/8 pause
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

joe_moog

Post by joe_moog » Mon May 09, 2011 3:01 am

I think I am experiencing a bug post-upgrade regarding the 1>2 Sync control. My setup is LP Stage II > SP > SP. When I change presets TO one with the oscillators synched, the light on the Slims indicating this comes on (as expected). However, on SOME presets, when I go to one that is not synched, the light on the LP correctly reflects this (i.e., it is OFF) but it stays ON on the two SPs. Despite the SPs showing that sync is on, it clearly isn't; in fact, when you press 1>2 Sync on one of them, it stays ON and the sound changes, but Preset indicator turns yellow and "PANEL ACTIVE" is shown on the display.

I'm not sure I articulated that very well...
Sub 37 • Voyager Select Whitewash/Lunar White • VX-351 • Little Phatty Stage II w/CV out • Slim Phatty (x3)
MF-101 • MF-102 • MF-104SD • MF-103 • CP-251 • MF-108M • MF-105M
Moog Pocket Protector

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon May 09, 2011 7:23 am

joe_moog: Yes I think you're on to something with sync - your report rings a bell, I think someone else mentioned this but I haven't noticed it myself yet. Will look into this today. Meanwhile have you checked out the new Poly behavior? It's so much more fun, at least I think it is...
There's at least one small bug in poly mode as well, which I also hope to fix today if I can.

Assar: Yes the behaviour with the Arp note length is intentional. It's exactly as you observed: the duration of the note "on" is exactly half the Clock Division setting, so if clock divisions = 1/4, the LP plays 1/8 on, 1/8 off. The reason for this is so that you can use the Gate output (if your LP has CV outs) as an analog clock for sequencers and such. Before, when the note length was 100%, the Gate CV output was useless (always on) when the arp was running.

I have found that if I turn up the volume envelope Release parameter, I can get arpeggiations that sound legato/smooth pretty easily. If you don't like this solution, let me know. Maybe I can find a better one, or allow more options.

nikola

Post by nikola » Mon May 09, 2011 7:28 am

would it be possible to have duo phony on a single LP ? (arp odyssey stile)

it is probably a pretty dumb question, but it cant hurt to ask :)
was i pushed or did i fall ?

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon May 09, 2011 7:35 am

nikola wrote:would it be possible to have duo phony on a single LP ? (arp odyssey stile)

it is probably a pretty dumb question, but it cant hurt to ask :)
Sorry, can't do it - in the LP hardware, there's a single pitch CV which is common to both oscillators.

nikola

Post by nikola » Mon May 09, 2011 8:06 am

ok. thanks
was i pushed or did i fall ?

Assar

Post by Assar » Mon May 09, 2011 9:01 am

Amos wrote:Assar: Yes the behaviour with the Arp note length is intentional. It's exactly as you observed: the duration of the note "on" is exactly half the Clock Division setting, so if clock divisions = 1/4, the LP plays 1/8 on, 1/8 off. The reason for this is so that you can use the Gate output (if your LP has CV outs) as an analog clock for sequencers and such. Before, when the note length was 100%, the Gate CV output was useless (always on) when the arp was running.

I have found that if I turn up the volume envelope Release parameter, I can get arpeggiations that sound legato/smooth pretty easily. If you don't like this solution, let me know. Maybe I can find a better one, or allow more options.
That explains it.
I must say I am not all satified with that, even if you can do an override solution by turning up the volume release. It work as long as the arp is running, but when you want to stop it messes things up a bit.
Also, it retriggers the filter envelope, even if gate legato is on (especially sad to not be able to use that in latch=A mode, with a long filter sweep and running notes, without the last note is sustained...)

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Mon May 09, 2011 9:10 am

Yeah,
I think there definately need an arp gate amount parameter. Even if, the only choices are 50% and 100%. I have been using the arp a lot lately with filter keytrack all the up to produce complex waveform sweeps to process external audio. 50% gate will mess things up, especially for people who have already written music to a sequencer.

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon May 09, 2011 9:13 am

OK maybe I can add an arp "gate length" parameter to allow you to adjust this. Even if it only had two settings (50% and 100%) then you could still choose between the old way (arp notes at 100% of step duration) or the new way.
Seems like there was some other feature I wanted to squeeze into the last remaining space but I can't remember what it is right now...

Edit: I think I was typing at the same time as Sir Nose... :)

Also, sounds like maybe we need three settings minimum: 50%, 100% and ">100%" meaning truly overlapping (legato) notes. This last option might be difficult as it's never been the case... from the beginning, each arpeggiator note has re-triggered the envelopes. (Unless my memory is going faulty...) In any case, I can see the utility of "legato" arpeggiations, although in Latch mode it could cause some difficulty as the envelopes would never re-trigger... hmm.

Assar

Post by Assar » Mon May 09, 2011 10:23 am

Amos wrote:... sounds like maybe we need three settings minimum: 50%, 100% and ">100%" meaning truly overlapping (legato) notes.
Yes, yes Yes YEs YES! :D

:wink:

Sore_Knee

Post by Sore_Knee » Mon May 09, 2011 10:25 am

I've got an issue i just noticed after i upgraded, but am unsure if it existed before the upgrade and am unsure if it an issue with my unit.

anyways, when adjusting the volume knob while playing a note, it goes louder momentarily before setting the new volume level. I noticed it with the BouncySeq preset with the filter wide open when adjusting the volume. it's there on other presets, but it is hardly noticable to the ear.

can anyone else see this problem?

edit:
i should have said "can anyone else hear this problem"

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon May 09, 2011 11:27 am

Sore_Knee wrote:I've got an issue i just noticed after i upgraded, but am unsure if it existed before the upgrade and am unsure if it an issue with my unit.

anyways, when adjusting the volume knob while playing a note, it goes louder momentarily before setting the new volume level. I noticed it with the BouncySeq preset with the filter wide open when adjusting the volume. it's there on other presets, but it is hardly noticable to the ear.

can anyone else see this problem?
check that preset, Advanced Preset menu, and see if the "Vol Sens:" parameter is nonzero.

application note: Because the Little Phatty did not originally support volume velocity sensitivity, I had to add this feature by "mapping" note velocity to the Master Volume parameter. This means that if you play a soft note (with Vol Sens: >0) and you adjust the Master Volume while the note is held, the volume will jump to maximum as the volume knob movement overrides the volume as set by Velocity. It's the same as if you sent a MIDI CC to set filter cutoff to 50% and then you move the Filter knob; the knob overrides the MIDI control. So, it's best to move the volume knob "between" notes in a performance, rather than during a note. When the "Vol Sens" parameter = 0, this should not be an issue... in that case, note volume is always the maximum as set by the volume knob, so there should be no jump in volume as you move the knob.

Sore_Knee

Post by Sore_Knee » Mon May 09, 2011 11:43 am

ADVANCED PRESET
VOL SENSE: 4

ok, so not a bug per-se, but a byproduct of a new feature. agreed, it shouldn't be an issue in most cases. i noticed it with the headphones on when adjusting the volume to the filter so I didn't blow my head off.

good to know that at least my LPII isn't faulty.

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon May 09, 2011 12:18 pm

Assar wrote:
Amos wrote:... sounds like maybe we need three settings minimum: 50%, 100% and ">100%" meaning truly overlapping (legato) notes.

:wink:
OK which would you rather use: global arp gate length, or per-preset arp gate length?

and ANOTHER question... while I am making last minute changes...

Some folks have requested Triplet values for LFO (and maybe Arp) MIDI sync. I guess this is crucial for dubstep now :)
Other folks have said that it is hard to change LFO sync values in real time performance if there are triplets in the list, as this throws off the rhythm (if you land on a triplet and then switch back to a non-triplet sync division). So... what shall I do? Add triplets or no?
Please note also that if I change the number of sync options, it can mess up preset compatibility. You'd need to re-program a lot of your clock division settings, most likely, as the parameter value that corresponds to a particular clock division would change. I hope this question makes sense... I'd really like some feedback. Thanks!

Assar

Post by Assar » Mon May 09, 2011 12:31 pm

Amos wrote:
Assar wrote:
OK which would you rather use: global arp gate length, or per-preset arp gate length?
Both?

No ... just kidding ...

If I have the opportunity to choose, I prefer per preset.
Can you see anything that speaks against that?
Amos wrote:and ANOTHER question... while I am making last minute changes...
Some folks have requested Triplet values for LFO (and maybe Arp) MIDI sync. /...
I think triplets would be a very elegant (yes!) and useful possibility. Dubstep or not.
If that means I have to reprogram some patches, it's pretty easy done.
Just for the LFO or for the arp as well?

EDIT: Misleading wording ...