New Firmware v3.1 for Slim Phatty, LP Stage and Tribute

Everything Phatty.
djfood

Re: New Firmware v3.1 for Slim Phatty, LP Stage and Tribute

Post by djfood » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:43 pm

Hi !
The last version still don't fix my problem with Analog Tracking mode when "Pass Thru" option is select...
I have some knobs that are simply don't working (leds and sound parameters don't move when i turn the knobs)

I also notice that only specific pots are affected:
LFO amount, OSC Wave 1+2, EG Filter sustain, plus all knobs on Filter section minus the KB amount...

1. Is there a relation under these knobs that can give a chance to identify this bug???

2. Can this be relate with the fact that i experiment a little problem when i upgrade to bootloader to version 1.1 (the first time i upgrade it simply erase the old bootloader and OS but i had to try more times until it finally work for my system...)
I ask this because having no other ideas i think about erasing all the LP softwares (bootloader and OS) in order to re-upgrade after , hoping to write a fresh encoding of the readable memory

PAss thru was my go-to mode, now Track option don't have the same precision, as i think...

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:47 pm

All the specific pots you mention except lfo amount are listed as the parameters in the stage manual that fall under the RAC (real analog control).

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:41 pm

mini_kmart wrote:
Spaace wrote:It's not working. Connected USB.

"On the LP, you should see "USB UPGRADED" on the LCD screen".

I don't see it. The screen isn't changing. The computer does say "Sysex sent. Monitor device activity light for completion".

I tried the next step and FW Update is on and it says "On the Little Phatty LCD screen, you should see RX FIRMWARE". I don't see that either. "When the Little Phatty boots up, you should now see "WRITING NEW BOOTLOADER" on the LCD, followed by "BOOTLOADER WRITTEN" Nope, I tried restarting it. LCD isn't showing anything different. :evil:

I have 2.2. Stage II, Win 7.
I am having the same problem USB connection and cant install the bootloader. The computer says its transfered, but nothing comes up on the LP.

HELP!
mini_kmart Are you making sure to set FW UPDATE: ON (Master menu, system utilities) first? If not, the LP won't see the step 1 firmware update.
If this isn't it, maybe the Phatty's USB just isn't working. On the Master Menu, System Utilities, does the version number show up as two numbers (e.g. "467/30") or only one number (e.g. "467")? If only one number, USB definitely isn't working. If two numbers, USB is present and I don't know what the trouble is, offhand...
Last edited by Amos on Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:46 pm

electronicpoison wrote:Hai Amos, what do you change in your latest update from 671 to 672 :?:
1) fixed subtle droop in pitch when moving the mod wheel on Little Phatty
2) fixed arpeggiator transpose bug (if you stopped the arp while it was playing transposed +/- octaves away from normal keyboard pitch, the transpose would persist after arp was turned off)
3) set default Arp Rate for old (pre-v3) presets to 120BPM
4) added "SEND CUR PANEL" option to SysEx Menu - this sends a SysEx of the current panel settings, NOT the saved version of the current preset. When you load a "Panel" SysEx back to the LP, it's loaded to the panel buffer only and is not saved to memory (you need to manually save to memory or settings will be lost when you change presets).

I think that's all...

Assar

Post by Assar » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:52 pm

Amos wrote:4) added "SEND CUR PANEL" option to SysEx Menu - this sends a SysEx of the current panel settings, NOT the saved version of the current preset. When you load a "Panel" SysEx back to the LP, it's loaded to the panel buffer only and is not saved to memory (you need to manually save to memory or settings will be lost when you change presets).
:D
That is an absolutely great and very useful function for us who use our phatty together with a daw!
Very much thanks!
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:54 pm

djfood wrote:Hi !
The last version still don't fix my problem with Analog Tracking mode when "Pass Thru" option is select...
I have some knobs that are simply don't working (leds and sound parameters don't move when i turn the knobs)

I also notice that only specific pots are affected:
LFO amount, OSC Wave 1+2, EG Filter sustain, plus all knobs on Filter section minus the KB amount...

1. Is there a relation under these knobs that can give a chance to identify this bug???

2. Can this be relate with the fact that i experiment a little problem when i upgrade to bootloader to version 1.1 (the first time i upgrade it simply erase the old bootloader and OS but i had to try more times until it finally work for my system...)
I ask this because having no other ideas i think about erasing all the LP softwares (bootloader and OS) in order to re-upgrade after , hoping to write a fresh encoding of the readable memory

PAss thru was my go-to mode, now Track option don't have the same precision, as i think...
It sounds like maybe RAC is not working? This is very unusual. There is something unique about your synth; I don't have the same problem here, using same firmware. Maybe there's something funky about the way you installed the bootloader but the bootloader seems to be working, so that is not my first suspicion. I wish I could do some tests myself.

Does SNAP mode work? If so, try setting SNAP mode and turn resonance to maximum (if you can) and then select Filter Cutoff... turn filter knob really fast... do you hear any stepping, or is it smooth?

If it's smooth, RAC is working. If you hear steps, RAC is not working. Make sure you are not on PRECISION MODE page while you do this, as PRECISION MODE disables RAC anyway...

Also for this test, make sure LOCAL CONTROL is ON and there is no MIDI (regular ou USB) connected to the LP

mico

Post by mico » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:29 am

Is there any chance we will see user-configure scales (to summon from built-in memory) on the SP/LP series?
Moog Sub 37 (#0133), Ibanez M80M, & Doomy Bow
MF-102 • MF-103 • MF-105m • KE Kommander • MHI B:a (Germ. w/EQ mod) • Strymon Timeline
Previous: Model D, Taurus, Taurus III, Little Phatty SE II (Solar Edition w/CV Out mod), Sub Phatty

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:09 pm

Edit: Figured it out

Is there a CC to adjust the global arp rate? If a preset is set to arp source global, does CC114 adjust the global arp clock division or just the preset division?

Edit: No Global rate. No, they are 2 seperate settings.

Does CC115 value 127 do the same thing as CC114 value 86?
Do they both set the arp clock to source to global? Or if the arp source is set to midi, does the preset arp rate change to match the global arp rate?

Edit: no, no, and no

Sidewalksurfer1385

Post by Sidewalksurfer1385 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:13 pm

How do actually upgrade the LP Stage II v3.1? I have installed the software on my IMAC, but how do I update it on the LP hardware itself? I am sure its though USB just like everything else I own, but having a hard time connecting the LP to my Imac useing USB cable. Hope you can Help me out.

denoiser

Post by denoiser » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:22 pm

Has anybody been able to sync the LFO to the ARP?

It has been perfectly possible when syncing to an external clock signal but not when syncing to internally.

I'm quite sure I did this in the past with the firmware 2.x.

Am I doing something wrong or is it just that is not possible any more? A firmware issue? I've search in the forum but I found nothing related to the 3.1 version.

TIA.

Johnny_Cradle

Post by Johnny_Cradle » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:21 am

Hi all, so I'd updated my LP SII with the beta os3.1 & all I've tried so far seems to work as expected, but now I've since downloaded the final version on the Moog front page & when I try following the same steps of updating my LP (thinking it will overwrite the beta version) nothing happens. Can anyone help if I'm missing anything here?
http://www.johnnycradle.com/ | Little Phatty SII | Fender Rhodes 88

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:13 am

If you went from v2.x(something) to v3.1(beta) as you said, part of the process was to install into Phatty's memory, a new boot loader algorithm.

Rather than 'listen' for SysEx or require a submenu item to be enabled to accept an update, it now requires what I refer to as a "bare metal initialization action". Which is to turn your Phatty on while holding the Master button, then to respond to the prompt to confirm. NOTE: that I am not a Moog employee; I just made that up : ) In truth, it's not bare metal because the code that is in the Phatty is, too, code that can be overwritten; but that's a different story. It is very much akin to the boot executive that allow modern operating systems to boot over the network or be updated remotely.

The new process ensures the absolute best chances of a proper update (regardless of the code that was there prior, non-volatile RAM is wiped out and Phatty is in listening state for the new Phatty Loader (PC or Mac app) to send in new code.

If you are having some other problem and knew the drill, I apologize for this elementary explanation. Either way, it would be good to hear from you how this was resolved.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Benjamin AM

Post by Benjamin AM » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:36 pm

denoiser wrote:Has anybody been able to sync the LFO to the ARP?

It has been perfectly possible when syncing to an external clock signal but not when syncing to internally.

I'm quite sure I did this in the past with the firmware 2.x.

Am I doing something wrong or is it just that is not possible any more? A firmware issue? I've search in the forum but I found nothing related to the 3.1 version.

TIA.
Yeah I just noticed this today. The option to sync the Arpeggiator to the LFO has been removed from the Advanced menu. I found this a few pages back.
Amos wrote:what arp functionality are you looking for? To the best of my knowledge, it's all still there, except for LFO as a clock source for the arp (which never worked very well to begin with, really). Let me know what you're trying to do with the arp and I will do my best to help.

The only way to downgrade is via a USB Debug Adapter from silicon labs... there's no way to downgrade via MIDI.
So if the LFO source doesn't work to well, is there a way to take the Phattys LFO clock and loop it back into the Midi in port to use it as a Midi sync source for the Arp?
(EDIT)I was semi successful in replicating this function. To do it, I plugged a short midi cord from the output into the input. Disabled send CC's in Midi scene and made sure that the Arp was only sending clock. I set the LFO to be controlled by MIDI CLOCK and had the Arp run off the internal clock. It seemed to work quit well while the Arp was running. The Arps rate can be adjusted with the rate knob if the cursor is under the BMP and LFO division can be adjusted if the cursor is not under the BPM(if the rate button is selected,of course). The only problem is trying to use this setup while not in Arp mode. LFO divisions cannot be adjusted once the Arp clock is gone. Also, you get stuck notes while switching between the two mode. For this reason, this setup is not useful to me. IS there an easier way to do this?
Little Phatty Stage II, Rogue, Cp-251, Soldering Iron

laza

Post by laza » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:37 am

Hi! Please help me... I have a LP stage 2 version 2. I done all the steps for the update to version 3.1 and it doesn't work... The panel don't show me the names of the sounds and the sounds does not work. I did again and again firmware update but nothing Please help me
thanks!

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:54 am

Has anyone else experienced an issue with renaming presets? Since updating to 3.1, I have only been able to edit the first letter of each preset. I know its not a functionality issue, but it is pretty irritating. If anyone can redirect me or give me some advice, I'd appreciate it.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30