New Firmware v3.1 for Slim Phatty, LP Stage and Tribute

Everything Phatty.
Amos

Re: New Firmware v3.1 for Slim Phatty, LP Stage and Tribute

Post by Amos » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:47 pm

geoscience wrote: I also noticed when I record an envelope change in Live, say like a filter envelope sweep. I am not getting a smooth curve, and there seems to be a "tick" at even increments throughout the filter sweep. This is the same for 14 bit on or off. And of course during playback these "ticks" are audible. Here is a picture of this. (I hope!)
This had me very worried so I checked it out immediately --
So far, I am not seeing the same behavior.

This is a picture of a filter cutoff knob sweep recorded via DIN MIDI out from my LP Stage II, into Ableton Live 8.2.2 running on my Windows 7 PC. I was merging MIDI notes, CC automation and clock (DIN in->DIN OUT) at the same time, and I did not see any glitches.

I also tested USB MIDI and saw the same.

What is your setup like? What were you merging, what model LP do you have, what firmware version... what type of computer, what MIDI interface, what version of Live? Anything else? :) That's probably enough for now...

also you might try recording the same knob sweep in another DAW like Reaper and see if you get the same result... that would be a sure indicator it's the LP's fault...

thanks!

-Amos

geoscience

Post by geoscience » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:15 pm

Thanks for checking on this Amos! I'll check my setup and report back to you tonight. I am running a Quad Core I5, and Ill have to check the versions but everything is up to date Including Live. I am using a MOTU micro lite as my usb/MIDI interface. MIDI merge being off seems to alleviate this problem a bit better. I will have to do more research when I get a moment tonight. Also I have a Phatty Stage II (really It's a Tribute with Stage II guts on the inside that Rosser set up for me because of some other issues). So It's kind of like a new Stage II, a couple of months old. Also I bought a slim phatty and have them poly-chained.

-Geoscience

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:37 pm

Just ran update into my Tribute, and everything went smoothly. Good instructions! The scale editor works like a charm. Thanks for your hard work, Amos.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

geoscience

Post by geoscience » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:42 pm

Amos,

Are you sending and receiving midi data on a different or the same channel? Also my Tribute with Stage "guts" does not have usb. So I do not have Midi in:din, Midi out:din to select in the menu like the slim. I suspect this is normal?

Amos

Post by Amos » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:48 pm

I was sending and receiving on the same channel.
If you still have the Tribute jack board, then it's a slightly different configuration than what I'm testing... I'll have to check it on a tribute or stage I tomorrow. Meanwhile tested my SEII on a Mac using Live 8.1.3 and had no problems. Trying to update to Live 8.2.2 but Ableton's website is being flaky; my download keeps failing for some reason. Let me know if you have a chance to try recording automation into something other than Live, to see if you get the same glitches...

geoscience

Post by geoscience » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:38 pm

Thanks Amos,

I'm not sure about the jack board. You will have to talk to Rosser about that one. What I have found so far is that these glitches go away if I transmit and receive on different channels. But of course I can't polychain the Phattys on different channels right? At least I have tried polychaining on other channels other than 1 and this does not seem to work. What is strange is when I use different channels, say 1 and 2, and record my filter sweeps on the Stage/Tribute I can hear the glitches in the audio, but they are not being recorded to the envelope in Live, which works well but is a bit annoying when recording, but plays back fine. :(

geoscience

Post by geoscience » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:12 pm

Amos,

I have updated to Live 8.2.2 and are still having these issues. I don't think it is my midi interface because I have other analogue synth hardware that is not showing this behavior when recording. Also with the Slim Phatty independently recording, not in polychain mode has the same glitch issue as well when recording knob tweaks. I'm sorry to be such a pain about this . I wish some other folks would chime in.

EDIT
Now for an update. It seems that Live is sending some kind of Midi time signal to the Phatty that it does not like. If I unplug the Midi in cable to the Phatty this all goes away! Live records all audio and midi perfectly like this. If I speed up or slow down the tempo, the glitching of the phatty does the same! Any feedback would greatly be appreciated. And I have used another midi interface (an m-audio uno) and still having the same problem.

-Geoscience
Last edited by geoscience on Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amos

Post by Amos » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:37 pm

sounds like maybe you have a midi feedback loop of sorts. If you put all units on the same channel and turn off Local Control on the LP, does that work?
I'll test this some more on Slim Phatty and other combinations, tomorrow.

geoscience

Post by geoscience » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:43 pm

Thanks Amos I'll try your suggestions. I added to my last statement above. I just think that if I had a feedback loop it would affect the other synth hardware similarly?

tagirov

Post by tagirov » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:38 pm

Hi Amos.
I've found an error in the manual addendum for OS 3-1.

There is an incorrect CC number in the MIDI CC's table for GLIDE parameter (CC #94 in the table).
The correct CC number for GLIDE ON/OFF parameter is 65 (at least on my LPSEII OS v.3.1S 671)

I've found it yesterday while making TouchOSC control surface for the iPad.

Please correct it before posting the final version of OS on the website.

p.s. For those who interested: I'll try to finish the TouchOSC for the iPad control surface for the Little Phatty this week and post it here for testing.
Best regards, Ruslan Tagirov.

Toyz: MBPro+Live 9.x+LogicProX, Moog: LP StageII/Sub37/Grandmother/MF-104m/MG-105m, Nord: Stage2 SW73/ModularG2Engine, Roland: MC909/TR-8, Korg: MS-20, R-3, OTO: Bisquit/BIM, etc.

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:35 am

geoscience wrote: It seems that Live is sending some kind of Midi time signal to the Phatty that it does not like. If I unplug the Midi in cable to the Phatty this all goes away! Live records all audio and midi perfectly like this. If I speed up or slow down the tempo, the glitching of the phatty does the same! Any feedback would greatly be appreciated. And I have used another midi interface (an m-audio uno) and still having the same problem.
OK, looking into this. Thanks for the update.

joe_moog

Post by joe_moog » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:38 pm

Hey, Amos...saw the walkthrough vid and the official release of 3.1 on the Moog home page. Just wanted to extend a thank you on this -- I've never seen the level of involvement you guys have with the people who use your products, and I think it's great!

I am loving the poly features this update brings. So much so that I ordered two more SPs to add to my setup. Now I just need to get everything organized and into a consolidated set up. The criminal thing is that I own three Moogerfooger pedals plus the CP-251, and I've never used them in conjunction with the Phatty setup! I hope to remedy that Real Soon Now...

Thanks again!
Sub 37 • Voyager Select Whitewash/Lunar White • VX-351 • Little Phatty Stage II w/CV out • Slim Phatty (x3)
MF-101 • MF-102 • MF-104SD • MF-103 • CP-251 • MF-108M • MF-105M
Moog Pocket Protector

tagirov

Post by tagirov » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:43 pm

tagirov wrote:Hi Amos.
I've found an error in the manual addendum for OS 3-1.

There is an incorrect CC number in the MIDI CC's table for GLIDE parameter (CC #94 in the table).
The correct CC number for GLIDE ON/OFF parameter is 65 (at least on my LPSEII OS v.3.1S 671)

I've found it yesterday while making TouchOSC control surface for the iPad.

Please correct it before posting the final version of OS on the website.

p.s. For those who interested: I'll try to finish the TouchOSC for the iPad control surface for the Little Phatty this week and post it here for testing.
Hi AMOS once more. New note on the GLADE parameters:

As I understand, there are two GLADE related parameters:
CC#65 is GLADE ON/OFF button state (0=off, 64=ON)
CC#94 is GLADE Always on / Legato only mode switch (0=Always; 64=Legato)

Please note this in manual addendum
Best regards, Ruslan Tagirov.

Toyz: MBPro+Live 9.x+LogicProX, Moog: LP StageII/Sub37/Grandmother/MF-104m/MG-105m, Nord: Stage2 SW73/ModularG2Engine, Roland: MC909/TR-8, Korg: MS-20, R-3, OTO: Bisquit/BIM, etc.

izzymonkey

Post by izzymonkey » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:05 pm

Amos, I have to say thank you for all your hard work putting out these updates, not to mention your attention to user feedback and testing!

I just picked up my SP today, and (thanks to the inclusion of the PowerPC version of the Loader) I got my new rig updated to v3.1 without a hiccup. :D I visited this thread as a potential buyer and followed your beta releases and user comments prior to purchase. Your support here, attention to detail and commitment to your users made my buying decision that much easier.

Color me impressed with the Slim Phatty (that goes for the LP Stage II, too), Moog and its staff. I'll have to save up my pennies for an Electric Blue Voyager now!

Cheers,

Brian

Benjamin AM

Post by Benjamin AM » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:12 pm

Where there any changes between 671 and the official release?
Little Phatty Stage II, Rogue, Cp-251, Soldering Iron