New Firmware v3.1 for Slim Phatty, LP Stage and Tribute

Everything Phatty.
Sigue Sigue Huil

Re: New Firmware v3.1 for Slim Phatty, LP Stage and Tribute

Post by Sigue Sigue Huil » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:50 pm

I'm also getting a problem of notes dropping out on the ARP.

Happens very rarely, but the ARP will be going and then just miss a note.

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:30 pm

unhappy news! things that happen rarely are some of my least favorite to troubleshoot, too.

if you notice the arp skipping notes, take a moment to let me know what the arp settings are (order, pattern, mode, octaves), whether it was latched or not, if you were just holding a steady set of notes or if you were moving around on the keyboard... at least that might be a start.
You could also just tell me / email me the preset you were using when it happened, if that would be faster.

also: when it misses a note, does the note drop out of the pattern permanently, or does it play again on the next go-round?

Thanks!

kamilof

Post by kamilof » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:57 pm

Amos wrote:Oh, I almost forgot... here are the final (I hope they're final) v3.1 files:

I will post complete update packs for folks still on Little Phatty OS 2.1 and below, later this week.

Cheers,

Amos
OS build v667 seems rock solid!! With OS 667 version tonight I'd been having non-stop fun playing in POLY mode (STAGEx1 + SLIMx3). ARP mode seems fun and I don't see any drop-notes (sending ARP to other Phatties). In my opinion 667 is ready for prime time 8) !

bealtown

Post by bealtown » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:04 am

I can't get the new 667 file to load into the SysEx Librarian app on my Mac – it doesn't recognize the file as containing any information. Is the .hex file written for pcs only?

Sigue Sigue Huil

Post by Sigue Sigue Huil » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:09 am

It happened once or twice on build .663, but I though it was just a fluke, but when testing it on .665 it happened another couple of times.
Amos wrote:if you notice the arp skipping notes, take a moment to let me know what the arp settings are (order, pattern, mode, octaves), whether it was latched or not, if you were just holding a steady set of notes or if you were moving around on the keyboard... at least that might be a start.
The last time it happened the patch was 93 - Agrosync bass on the SP - the preset arp settings have not been modified. The midi clock was internal, mod wheel was set to zero. (i need to check the global arp settings, but am at work, will check when I get home)

Latch was on, tempo was set to tap - running at around 134BPM. Had pressed a single note, moved up a couple of notes - still only one note at a time, when I went back to the 1st note it struck about three times then dropped a note.
Amos wrote:also: when it misses a note, does the note drop out of the pattern permanently, or does it play again on the next go-round?
Didn't happen again for a solid 30 min jam on the arp.

tagirov

3.1.667 Strange behavior while saving LFO SYNC setting in pr

Post by tagirov » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:06 am

To Amos:

LP STAGE II, 3.1.667 OS

BUG: Strange behavior while saving LFO SYNC setting in preset when CLK SRC=MIDI
1) Go to MASTER / LFO SYNC menu
2) Set CLK SRC: MIDI
3) Set CLK DIV to any value using VALUE pot.
4) Press PRESET, STORE, set OVERWRITE:YES and STORE again to store the preset
5) Go back to MASTER - you will see that CLK DIV value is saved in previous state (not the value you have just set in step 3).

BUT if you go back to step 3, and use the alternative way to set the value: press/enable LFO RATE button in Modulation section and set CLK DIV value with Modulation pot, then save the preset (step 4), you will see that the CLK DIV value is saved as expected.

ALSO, if you set CLK SRC: INTERNAL in step 2, the CLK VALUE setting will be saved in preset, regardless of the method (pot) you use to set this value (VALUE or LFO RATE+MODULATION).

Friends, please check this bug on your devices and report here.
Best regards, Ruslan Tagirov.

Toyz: MBPro+Live 9.x+LogicProX, Moog: LP StageII/Sub37/Grandmother/MF-104m/MG-105m, Nord: Stage2 SW73/ModularG2Engine, Roland: MC909/TR-8, Korg: MS-20, R-3, OTO: Bisquit/BIM, etc.

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:08 am

bealtown wrote:I can't get the new 667 file to load into the SysEx Librarian app on my Mac – it doesn't recognize the file as containing any information. Is the .hex file written for pcs only?
SysEx Librarian can't handle .hex format files, only SysEx. To load any v3 files, you need first to be running the new Bootloader on your LP, then you need to use the Moog PhattyLoader software to send the hex file.

If your LP is still on OS 2, start at the very beginning of this thread. The update files in the first post will get you from OS 2 to the OS3 bootloader, then there are full instructions for how to update the firmware, v3-style. :)
Last edited by Amos on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amos

Re: 3.1.667 Strange behavior while saving LFO SYNC setting i

Post by Amos » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:13 am

tagirov wrote:To Amos:

LP STAGE II, 3.1.667 OS

BUG: Strange behavior while saving LFO SYNC setting in preset when CLK SRC=MIDI
1) Go to MASTER / LFO SYNC menu
2) Set CLK SRC: MIDI
3) Set CLK DIV to any value using VALUE pot.
4) Press PRESET, STORE, set OVERWRITE:YES and STORE again to store the preset
5) Go back to MASTER - you will see that CLK DIV value is saved in previous state (not the value you have just set in step 3).

BUT if you go back to step 3, and use the alternative way to set the value: press/enable LFO RATE button in Modulation section and set CLK DIV value with Modulation pot, then save the preset (step 4), you will see that the CLK DIV value is saved as expected.

ALSO, if you set CLK SRC: INTERNAL in step 2, the CLK VALUE setting will be saved in preset, regardless of the method (pot) you use to set this value (VALUE or LFO RATE+MODULATION).
This is not exactly a bug; it's just a confusing implementation. Let me explain what is happening, and then, if you can think of a better way to do it, you tell me. :)

To begin with, the global LFO SYNC->CLOCK DIV parameter is never really saved per-preset. It's a global parameter.
However, when LFO SYNC->CLK SRC = MIDI, then the global CLOCK DIV parameter is overridden by the preset's own LFO RATE. That is to say, the LFO RATE is used as an index into the array of CLOCK DIV settings. This is the mechanism by which you can sweep through the Clock Divs using the LFO Rate knob. When you load a new preset, the global Clock Div value is updated according to the preset's LFO Rate. This is why it seems like you are saving the Clock Div value per preset.

So here is what is happening in your examples:

Step 3: Set CLK DIV to any value using VALUE pot. -- You are editing the global CLK DIV parameter directly; this does not change the preset's LFO Rate parameter.
Step 4: When you STORE a preset, it reloads the preset from memory after the STORE; same routine as if you'd changed to a new preset.
Step 5: when you Store/reload or change presets, if LFO CLK SRC = MIDI, the global LFO CLK DIV is updated according to the preset's LFO RATE. Because you didn't change the LFO Rate in Step 3, the same CLK DIV value is loaded as before, so it looks like your change was lost

If in Step 3, you use the LFO Rate + Modulation pot, you are actually adjusting the LFO Rate, which *is* saved per preset. When you STORE the preset and it reloads, the changed LFO Rate is loaded, this LFO Rate is used to set the CLK DIV, and it seems as though you've saved the CLK DIVs per preset. As long as LFO CLK SRC = MIDI, you effectively have saved the LFO clock divs per preset, because it will consistently load the new clock divs with the preset.

Now, if LFO Clock Source = Internal, then LFO "Clock Divs" doesn't really do anything. You can adjust CLK DIV using the Value knob, and you're adjusting the global parameter value. This has no effect on the current preset, and the current preset has no effect on the LFO CLK DIV parameter. So, saving/reloading the preset has no effect on the CLK DIV, and your changes persist.

Once again, this is a place where a more ideal solution would probably be to have a complete global + per-preset implementation, the same as other parameters such as Arp CLK SRC, KB Priority, Tuning Scale and so on. This is another case where there was not enough code space to do everything in the best way. So, the current implementation is a compromise which I thought offered the most playable set of options.

I am happy to make changes if you can think of a better way to do it.

For example, I can make it so that you can adjust the CLK DIV while in MIDI Sync using the LFO Rate knob, but I can remove the code which automatically overrides the current Global LFO CLK DIV parameter when you load a new preset. This would make the global LFO CLK DIV parameter seem more consistent, BUT it will remove the way in which you can sort-of save the LFO Clock Divs "per preset" as you can now. I thought that this behavior of updating-the-clock-divs from the preset LFO Rate would be useful.

What do you think?

Edit: I think I found a way to explain more succinctly. Here is what I've written for the user's documentation:
LFO MIDI Sync - when you load a new preset while LFO CLK SRC = MIDI, the LFO Clock Division (CLK DIV) is reset according to the new preset's LFO RATE parameter.
NOTE: This means that if you are working with the LFO in MIDI SYNC mode, it's useful to pay attention to the way in which you adjust the LFO CLK DIV parameter.
If you want to set an LFO MIDI Clock Division that is reloaded to the same value every time you load a given preset, adjust the preset's LFO RATE parameter to set the LFO Clock Division, and save the preset.
If you don't want to make any changes to the preset and you just want to adjust the global LFO CLOCK DIV, go to the master LFO SYNC menu, select CLK DIV and adjust it using the Value knob. This sets only the global value and is not saved with the preset.
Does that make sense? Again, is the implementation OK or can you suggest a better one?
Last edited by Amos on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

bealtown

Post by bealtown » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:26 am

Loaded OS3 vers 667 successfully, using bootloader not SysExLib, as per your suggestion; thanks, Amos.
Now the question remains: does the Phatty Tuner soft work with the LP St2? I can't find a manual for using it. I am very anxious to get into the alternate tunings on my Little Phatty!

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:18 am

bealtown wrote:Now the question remains: does the Phatty Tuner soft work with the LP St2?
Yes, definitely!
http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... =15#p84642

tagirov

Re: 3.1.667 Strange behavior while saving LFO SYNC setting i

Post by tagirov » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:45 pm

Amos wrote:
What do you think?

Edit: I think I found a way to explain more succinctly. Here is what I've written for the user's documentation:
LFO MIDI Sync - when you load a new preset while LFO CLK SRC = MIDI, the LFO Clock Division (CLK DIV) is reset according to the new preset's LFO RATE parameter.
NOTE: This means that if you are working with the LFO in MIDI SYNC mode, it's useful to pay attention to the way in which you adjust the LFO CLK DIV parameter.
If you want to set an LFO MIDI Clock Division that is reloaded to the same value every time you load a given preset, adjust the preset's LFO RATE parameter to set the LFO Clock Division, and save the preset.
If you don't want to make any changes to the preset and you just want to adjust the global LFO CLOCK DIV, go to the master LFO SYNC menu, select CLK DIV and adjust it using the Value knob. This sets only the global value and is not saved with the preset.
Does that make sense? Again, is the implementation OK or can you suggest a better one?
Thanks Amos for your explanation. Now I see how it works. I understand the limitations you have to implement the whole bunch of settings.
Maybe could you do a special GLOBAL menu section or add a special mark/sign to realise which setting is active now - global or preset value?
Best regards, Ruslan Tagirov.

Toyz: MBPro+Live 9.x+LogicProX, Moog: LP StageII/Sub37/Grandmother/MF-104m/MG-105m, Nord: Stage2 SW73/ModularG2Engine, Roland: MC909/TR-8, Korg: MS-20, R-3, OTO: Bisquit/BIM, etc.

kamilof

Post by kamilof » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:23 am

Hanging notes on 667 in POLY mode :? ?!

Tonight while playing I experienced hanging notes (?!) using OS 667. First I try to modify some settings but couldn't figure it out what would be the best setting for Midi Setup->Gate IN... So I reverted to OS 662 :( but at least I don't have the hanging notes...

EDIT: trying out again 667 and so far is good, not sure what triggered the hanging notes....
Last edited by kamilof on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

A_WOLF

Post by A_WOLF » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:26 am

Amos,
You are doing a very great job! The best support i've ever seen!
I still have a 2.1 firmware on my LP2, but can't wait to get a full package with final release to go to the version 3.1 - the new functions are very cool.
Thank you!
Practical Senses

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:11 am

Maybe it should've mentioned somewhere that the PhattyLoader is not compatible with Mac OS X 10.4. Now one of my LPs hangs with the message "Please send firmware". Is there going to be a version of the PhattyLoader for 10.4 anytime soon?

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:53 pm

Well, I bought a new MacBook Pro instead (that was due to happen anyway). It's all working, now I'm going to test my 3 voice polymoog system and hope it works good.