New Firmware v3.1 for Slim Phatty, LP Stage and Tribute

Everything Phatty.
Assar

Re: New Firmware v3.1 for Slim Phatty, LP Stage and Tribute

Post by Assar » Sat May 14, 2011 4:28 am

Amos, I am impressed. Hope you have a well deserved and really good weekend by now.
Will try build 656 later today ...
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

spin

Post by spin » Sat May 14, 2011 5:39 am

Hi! testing the 656 :D

- tuning scale preset works fine for me!
- global LFO SYNC to external midi clock works for me! (i am using cubasae 6 to send midi clock message)

- some problems with the arpeggiator: global ARP SETUP mode = midi clock and clock = 1/4; ADVANCED PRESET ARPEGGIATOR clock source = global, clock division = global; i can't get it in sync with cubase clock, seems like the arpeggiator is still working on internal phatty clock (in fact if i change lfo rate knob the clock change like in internal mode...i think this should be bypassed in midi clock mode?)

- Another strange problem: if i set ADVANCED PRESET ARPEGGIATOR clock source = midi, while i am sending midi clock messages from cubase, it seems in sync but strange things happen like knobs that move by themselves, and strange creacks in the audio....it seems like there are midi conflicts between global arp, preset arp and external midi clock.

- global ARP SETUP mode = internal -----------> if i set ADVANCED PRESET ARPEGGIATOR clock source = internal the arpeggiator will not work, it will go in midi clock anyway. The internal clock works if global arp = internal and preset arp src = global

Hope this helps!
cheers :D

Assar

Post by Assar » Sat May 14, 2011 6:29 am

First test (Tribute) ...

The Tuning scales works fine, except for one thing.
When you look at the global tuning scale for a patch, it shows the preset tuning scale (but it plays correct).
It's a cosmetic thing but a bit confusing.

When I set the preset arp "CLK SRC" to "INT", saves the preset and the turn on the arp, it says "MIDI CLOCK".

Love the clock sync divisions ... triplets are beautiful ...
:D

Assar

Post by Assar » Sat May 14, 2011 6:38 am

More test results ...
If I have the arp running (for testing: choose a long run, a cycle with many tunes) with an not-changed preset and then tweak a knob (f.i cutoff), the arp starts it's cycle from the beginning.

Sore_Knee

Post by Sore_Knee » Sat May 14, 2011 7:49 am

i went straight from 653 to 656 today and started experiencing midi problems.

similar as above with the arp, will run off the internal clock but won't sync to midi.

actually, it doesn't respond to midi at all, not even notes.
*edit*
the display does indicate the reception of midi data with that little arrow thing in preset mode but it is just silent.

went back to 655 and the same issues. wound it back to 653 and midi was good again.

LPII using midi over USB. only v24 of the USB/MIDI firmware though as I don't have a PC handy. i'm not sure if that has anything to do with anything.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sat May 14, 2011 8:14 am

I would like to thank the moog music exec. that turned amos loose on this and allowed the posting of the beta OS. Obviously, his talents were being used elsewhere. Giving him the time to make these code improvements has made a lot of phatty users happy.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat May 14, 2011 8:32 am

I sent a quick note in email about this but best to have all the comments here.

Ditto on what Spin said (cracking when ARP is running with certain combinations of settings). If you move the clock div and other settings just enough the cracking noise stops.

But I found that if you choose the Advanced clock to be Midi that clock runs with no midi coming in. Also if you have Advanced clock to be INT with no Midi coming in the clock is stopped (likely it's backwards).

First time into some patches, the Clock Mode was "1", likely because you shifted the bits around as far as what piece of the patch memory was used for what (our prior conversation).

Also the top level mode ALWAYS says: Midi.

And fwiw, I'm a Tribute.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Amos

Post by Amos » Sat May 14, 2011 9:25 am

OK, all of the clock sync problems seem related...
(1) I think INTERNAL and MIDI got switched somewhere and are indeed backwards now.
(2) the "cracking" sounds when arpeggiator is doing MIDI sync... I did some experiments with MIDI sync (at a very low level) to see if it was related to the stuck-notes issue a couple of people were having. I thought I'd put everything back as it was before, but it looks like not.

So if all of these particular symptoms are OK in v653, then it should be easy for me to compare the two versions and find/fix these new issues.
Apologies, it will have to wait until Monday. I'm going camping and will be off the grid until then.

Cheers,

Amos

PS) these more obvious rough edges are the sort of thing I do try to clean up before posting a release... I was in a bit of a hurry with this one as you can see. My apologies for the mess! :)

PPS) Sore Knee, make sure you turn the power off and back on after doing a firmware update... MIDI won't work properly until you do. The symptoms you describe are similar to what happens when you finish a firmware update and try to use MIDI without turning the power off/on first.

keef321

Post by keef321 » Sat May 14, 2011 2:36 pm

Amos,

Thanks for the update, it sorted the octave bug out :-)

kamilof

Post by kamilof » Mon May 16, 2011 7:49 am

Amos, is it possible to enable "note stealing" in poly-mode? I have a stage + slim and when performing in poly-mode, sometimes I play fast and when I hit a key I get no sound because 'note stealing" is not permitted. "note stealing" could be optional, but I think it would permit faster performances when in poly-mode. Thanks!

Johnny_Cradle

Post by Johnny_Cradle » Mon May 16, 2011 7:56 am

Thank you Amos & team. I installed this over the weekend & funny enough I wasn't worried when I saw the ERROR terror the 1st time i installed because i was sure the how to fix it would be simple & work and it sure enough did. Haven't gone through all the updates but I was sold with: LFO reset on key trigger. Props!
http://www.johnnycradle.com/ | Little Phatty SII | Fender Rhodes 88

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon May 16, 2011 8:52 am

kamilof wrote:Amos, is it possible to enable "note stealing" in poly-mode? I have a stage + slim and when performing in poly-mode, sometimes I play fast and when I hit a key I get no sound because 'note stealing" is not permitted. "note stealing" could be optional, but I think it would permit faster performances when in poly-mode. Thanks!
I've been thinking about note stealing... what I would like to do would be to make it so that when you are out of notes, the last (most recently-played) voice plays like a mono synth. Then you could hold a chord and solo on top of it a bit more easily. Alternatively, "note stealing" could steal the oldest note; I think this is how the old Roland poly synths behaved... there's probably a third way (or more) that I'm not thinking of.

So, as you can see, it's not completely simple to implement. In the interests of having a "final" release version of OS 3.1 soon, I may have to wait and work on the note stealing option in a future update. It's already an improvement over the previous poly mode, I think... but could always be better :)

Sore_Knee

Post by Sore_Knee » Mon May 16, 2011 3:23 pm

you were right Amos, it took a power cycle.

653 forced the power cycle, the next releases went straight to the preset menu.

djfood

Post by djfood » Mon May 16, 2011 3:50 pm

LO!
im having a problem of pots that not responding even after the upgrade to 3.1 build 556
In fact the pots is not working in the "Pass Thru" mode (Osc 1 + 2 wave, Mod amount, Filter all pots, EG filter sustain...

>>> the problem only occur when i select the track with the LP to be active on cubase !!!

when i start the sEII the screen dislay Little Phatty Boot v1.1 and after 3.1 Os s656...
has anyone having the same problem with win 7 x 64 and cubase 5??

Last edited by djfood on Mon May 16, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kamilof

Post by kamilof » Mon May 16, 2011 4:30 pm

Amos wrote: I've been thinking about note stealing... what I would like to do would be to make it so that when you are out of notes, the last (most recently-played) voice plays like a mono synth. Then you could hold a chord and solo on top of it a bit more easily.
When performing in poly mode if I play a sustained note on the left-hand (need more SLIMS to play a full chord :) ) and try to do a solo with the right hand, the notes of the solo sometimes are just muted, specially if I play fast. So maybe is easier to have two poly-modes: round-robin and FIFO (similar to the original implementation of poly mode 8) )....