Wolfgang Gartner

Everything Phatty.
darkartois

Wolfgang Gartner

Post by darkartois » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:07 pm

The whole reason I got myself a LP was based on his recommendation a few years back. He said the basslines in these three tracks were all LP, and played in dry with no further processing bar eq and compression. Does anyone know how he got there on any of them? I always find to get my desired results, I have to spend days resampling, and add such a long fx chain in the end it takes all the LP's character away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm3J9yL17Yw&sns=em
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTsY9U1B9qo&sns=em
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL-1UFAZhqA&sns=em
www.myspace.com/darkartois

Amos

Re: Wolfgang Gartner

Post by Amos » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:28 am

I recommend getting cozy with the LP's MIDI implementation (which CC's control which parameters) and try adding crazy wild CC automation to your MIDI tracks. Jump around with glitchy extreme CC values... that's a great way to get sick modulations without post processing :)

also, you can do a LOT with EQ... take a rich bassline with a lot of harmonics and then do several variations using a multiband parametric EQ at some extreme settings... then edit back and forth between the different EQ'd copies... that could be a useful production technique.

djfood

Post by djfood » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:58 am

i only check the first song but for me there is nothing analog into these sound, do you talk face to face with him or do u believe all the bullshit you read on the html pages?
Every synth (freeware, soft or hard) can do it ... there is not one bass it's multiple layers ... for me the LP is the last tool i will use to recreate this motion... instead take a soft which give a rich mod matrix where u can assign every parameters as source or destination and just modulate what comes under ... a mix max nothing really technical or a special technics will do the trick just randomly make a motion and layering the sounds... try Massive , or Trilian there is a lot to modulate
when u have different layers that wil complement export as audio and make some edits §... for example select short audio parts and print some crazy effects on the file (destrutive audio rendering and the likes)
or take the demo of effectrix plugin it will be the same ///

when there is analog signal it's not the same level Gartner is a pawn he make commercial songs for beat^port top 10 ! GARTNER IZ NOT REAL!!!! HE I s NOT EXITING !!!
<<< all iz elektrik >>> there is no god there is no devil its only energy on the real side
life is not here!! sorry , sir ! there s nothing who cares about ! just a stupid frequency make it all happend !
there iz more details on the dvd moog documentary made by plexifilm avaible on audio community

synth and fx are just tools but a real producer is able to reproduce anything with any synth ... the most important device u must have isds the Ear (try for example to open ur ear with the software call Ear Master it's ear training drills
like this u will underqtand what is sound and not only hear like anybody u will see the color of sound and going morfe deeper

i recommand for analog worms to listen this (or start collecting stamps:-)):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV8eiSA4vqc

there is a diference with Gartner !!!! this is techni cal level !! not the soap: I feel something special in the air ? t bigger than words, the human sound

filtersweeperVCO

Post by filtersweeperVCO » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:57 pm

djfood wrote:i only check the first song but for me there is nothing analog into these sound, do you talk face to face with him or do u believe all the bullshit you read on the html pages?
Every synth (freeware, soft or hard) can do it ... there is not one bass it's multiple layers ... for me the LP is the last tool i will use to recreate this motion... instead take a soft which give a rich mod matrix where u can assign every parameters as source or destination and just modulate what comes under ... a mix max nothing really technical or a special technics will do the trick just randomly make a motion and layering the sounds... try Massive , or Trilian there is a lot to modulate
when u have different layers that wil complement export as audio and make some edits §... for example select short audio parts and print some crazy effects on the file (destrutive audio rendering and the likes)
or take the demo of effectrix plugin it will be the same ///

when there is analog signal it's not the same level Gartner is a pawn he make commercial songs for beat^port top 10 ! GARTNER IZ NOT REAL!!!! HE I s NOT EXITING !!!
<<< all iz elektrik >>> there is no god there is no devil its only energy on the real side
life is not here!! sorry , sir ! there s nothing who cares about ! just a stupid frequency make it all happend !
there iz more details on the dvd moog documentary made by plexifilm avaible on audio community

synth and fx are just tools but a real producer is able to reproduce anything with any synth ... the most important device u must have isds the Ear (try for example to open ur ear with the software call Ear Master it's ear training drills
like this u will underqtand what is sound and not only hear like anybody u will see the color of sound and going morfe deeper

i recommand for analog worms to listen this (or start collecting stamps:-)):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV8eiSA4vqc

there is a diference with Gartner !!!! this is techni cal level !! not the soap: I feel something special in the air ? t bigger than words, the human sound
What a joke this reply was. The first time I heard that track I instantly thought it sounded like my slim phatty. Do you produce music at all? Doesn't sound like it. The bassline sounds exactly like the slim phatty/LP. It's a patch with a distorted layer (higher-passed a bit with some verb) over top for grit and some 8-bit crushing at certain parts in stereo. Just like someone else said, there is some CC automation going on like on the quick pitch-bending parts at the end of the 8 bar. Also Skipping quickly between octaves gives it the glitching sound. Nothing out of this world. You're a pawn in the game of talking bleep.
GEAR: Moog Voyager, MF 102, VX-351, Roland JX-3P, Roland Juno 106, Waldorf Pulse +, Waldor Micro Q, emagic AMT8, MPC 1000, Sherman filterbank 2 (rack) Korg Kaoss pad 3, MAM ADX1 drum machine, and Yorkville LS 800P
http://soundcloud.com/filtersweeper

darkartois

Post by darkartois » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:21 pm

Yeah, djfood, there's quite a lot of your post I have to disagree with. I don't understand how you can bash WG but praise deadmau5. Without starting yet another WG vs. Deadmau5 debate, WG is a lot better at electrohouse IMO. He manages the blend so many basslines together while still maintaining a structured progression in his tracks. Each to their own though. His words to me about the LP were over myspace. He said if he could only have one synth in his studio, it would be the LP, hence me buying one. I already use a lot of efx plugs and resample countless times but just wanted ideas on how he gets there with the LP alone.

darkartois

Post by darkartois » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:30 pm

@filtersweep yeah that's all I got my head round, quick octave changes and lfo. Now I've finally made the switch to midi I'll have more fun with messing with cc's.:-)

osirus23

Post by osirus23 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:03 pm

Yeah, Joey (Wolfgang Gartner) talked me into buying one too. I have known him since his Joey Youngman days. He first got his little phatty, he was sending me tracks and sound examples with the LP in it. Once I bought one, I found that I could never make sounds so complex. Any tips on LFO automation in Ableton? What kind of 'glitches can you do with the Mod that you cant do by twiddling knobs?

darkartois

Post by darkartois » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:29 pm

Yeah I've been trying and trying but getting nothing close :-( he's just a genius when it comes to getting the biggest and cleanest basslines out of the LP. Any step by step from Amo's would be awesome ;-)

osirus23

Post by osirus23 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:31 pm

So, here is something that I cooked up in a few minutes...

It is like his newer basslines. It is a patchwork of Moog bass Samples and random noise samples.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11941193/Glitch%20Bass.wav

Gene

darkartois

Post by darkartois » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:28 pm

Sounds awesome man. How'd you do it? All LP? Sounds like a bit of dbglitch on there.

kdaddy

Post by kdaddy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:49 pm

darkartois wrote:The whole reason I got myself a LP was based on his recommendation a few years back. He said the basslines in these three tracks were all LP, and played in dry with no further processing bar eq and compression. Does anyone know how he got there on any of them? I always find to get my desired results, I have to spend days resampling, and add such a long fx chain in the end it takes all the LP's character away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm3J9yL17Yw&sns=em
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTsY9U1B9qo&sns=em
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL-1UFAZhqA&sns=em
Hi i know I'm kind of late to the party but did anyone ever figure this out? I would love to know how wolfgang made those juicy basses with just the little phatty.