Slim Phatty Problem - Midi

Everything Phatty.
rager8

Slim Phatty Problem - Midi

Post by rager8 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:44 pm

Hey all,

I just got this slim phatty a couple days ago and you can imagine my reaction when it just started having issues a few hours ago.

The module will not play notes from the keyboard:

- I double checked the midi cable is transmitting
- The midi channel is 1
- I checked the audio cable is setup properly
-I tried 2 different keyboards to send midi notes
- The "play note with enter " function works
- I did a master reboot
- I did a factory reset
- I did a master reboot

I'm not sure what could be going on, I'm at a lost.

Sir Nose

Re: Slim Phatty Problem - Midi

Post by Sir Nose » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:47 am

Did you try the output button below the volume knob?

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:26 pm

did you actually turn the power off and back on? If there's a problem with communication between the MIDI board and main board (each of which uses its own microprocessor) a power cycle may be needed in order to get them back in sync.

Out of curiosity, when it "just started" having issues, was it more like it was working fine via MIDI and right in the middle of using it, it stopped working? Or more like, it worked fine one day, and when you went to switch it on and use it the next day it started out not working?

If you want to take this offline you can always email me. In any case, I'm here and happy to help.

Cheers,

Amos
(at moogmusic dot com)

rager8

Post by rager8 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:33 pm

Thank you all for the prompt response. My heart dropped when my Slim stopped responding. However, I did another set of reboots/restores this time without the midi connection in the input channel, proceeded to power cycle the Slim and all was well afterwards. Huge sigh of relief!

So in case anyone should run into this, be sure to remove the midi cables from the channels when power cycling!

Thanks All!!

rager8

Post by rager8 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:47 pm

Thank you all for the prompt response. My heart dropped when my Slim stopped responding. However, I did another set of reboots/restores this time without the midi connection in the input channel, proceeded to power cycle the Slim and all was well afterwards. Huge sigh of relief!

So in case anyone should run into this, be sure to remove the midi cables from the channels when power cycling!

Thanks All!!

lamantine

Post by lamantine » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:57 am

I'm having the same problem with my slim phatty, but booting without the MIDI-cable is not sovling the issue every time. It seems completely random when it works. Sometimes a boot will solve it sometimes it wont... Any ideas?

jd303

Post by jd303 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:35 pm

rager8,
Thanks dude! I was having the exact same problem and power cycling without the MIDI in connected works (then connecting it after it boots up). I noticed this problem regardless of where the Phatty was in the MIDI chain, and it also gave me some very strange arpeggiation results when "synced" to the MIDI clock. No notes on any channel, either. Your suggestion fixed it.

lamantine,
Along with removing all the MIDI cables, power cycling, and then plugging in, you might want to try changing the arpeggiator from using the MIDI clock as it's source if you have that set (maybe set to LFO as the source - thats what it gave me after I booted it up with no MIDI cables).

On another note, after fixing it and rebooting with MIDI plugged in, it went back to the strangeness. But removing MIDI and power cycling again worked. Also, powering the Phatty on before the MIDI clock source is turned on (with MIDI plugged in) worked, but the arpeggiator wont stay saved on MIDI if you do that (it defaults to LFO). I guess I'll have to get used to that not saving.

jd303

Post by jd303 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:36 pm

P.S. v 2.2.1 - purchased the Phatty last week. :)

Digit62

Post by Digit62 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:22 am

Hey,

Just go a brand new SP. Connected it to my Nord G2 with midi channels set to 1.
Not a sound to be heard.
Tried, tried, tried ....
Did a little surfing and found this post.
Booting without the midi cable in and having the arpegiator set to internal works but CANNOT believe
this is the way this should work.
Out of the box on standard settings you should be able to operate the unit without going through this ritual.
Why is this? NExt I'll need to kill a goat each time i want to use it.
I'm not impressed and really disappointed. Not sure if Bob would approve.
Is there an OS update to fix this?

D62

Digit62

Post by Digit62 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:13 am

Hi,

I got exactly the same issue with my SP which I got yesterday.
Set it up connected it to my Nord G2 and got no reaction at all fm the SP.
Booting up the SP without the midicable inserted works but cannot believe this to be normal behaviour.
At least it works this way and it really sounds great but still find it a bummer it behaves this way.

D62

Nobl1v1on

Post by Nobl1v1on » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:54 pm

I have had these exact problems regarding MIDI and powering up the unit.

If I leave the MIDI in plug in when I power up it will not respond to any notes messages ect NOTHING ... My signal chain is a Elektron MDUW+ MK.II to a Access Virus TI|2 62 key to the Slim Phatty

Really a kind of BIG issue ... I mean if I rack tha thing how the bleep you supposed to get around that .... anyone had any discussions with Moog HQ about this thang

Lars

chancanasta

Post by chancanasta » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:23 am

HI,
So glad I found this thread - I thought I was going mad...

I recently got a Slim Phatty and have the exact same problem,
regularly - the thing simply would not respond to MIDI, didn't matter where I put it in the MIDI chain.

Sometimes it would be come back to life after a System Reboot - but turn the thing on and off
and it would be "dead to the world" again.

After a lot of expirmenting, I found the following seems to work and avoids unplugging MIDI leads:

I know have the SP connected to the MIDI thru of my Micro Korg, I turn the SP on first - let it boot up
THEN turn on the Micro Korg. Doing this seems to kick the MIDI into life and it (so far) always responds.

Like everyone else, love this sounds from this box - but can't believe that the SP is a 'buggy' as this.

I'm actually thinking of moving it over to CV/GATE as that might be more reliable - only trouble with that
is - I don't think there would be anyway of getting modulate (no MIDI mod wheel signal)

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:20 pm

ATTENTION ALL:

There is a fix for this bug now. It requires an update to the firmware on the USB board (not the main firmware).

for Windows users, you can download this file to apply the update:

http://seamslikereality.com/moog/Slim_USB_v31.zip

connect USB to your Slim, and launch the file Slim_USB_v31.exe.
type the number corresponding to your Slim Phatty ("usb audio device" under win98/XP) and press Enter to send the update. When it's complete, you should see USB UPGRADED appear on the Slim LCD. you can press Master or Preset to clear this message.

For Mac users: I'm sorry, but it seems like SysEx Librarian is unable to send this file. You need to be able to send the entire file in one USB buffer/packet, and SysEx Librarian does not allow to adjust the buffer size. The default buffer size is too small.

The zip file does include a SysEx file and you are welcome to try it by any means you like; a failure will not cause any problem according to my tests.

You do need to send this update via USB; it won't work to send using a DIN MIDI interface.

I am working with a Mac programmer now to implement an update solution for Mac OSX. Until then, you are welcome to experiment, or use Windows for this update if it's an option... sorry for the inconvience! (and for the bug to begin with, of course)

If you have any questions, ask 'em here.

kind regards,

Amos

noia

Post by noia » Sat May 07, 2011 4:13 pm

Hi,

I got my SP last week and it's been working perfectly, but Today I turned it on, and there was no sound. I did the power cycle without the midi cables, connected them again from my soundcard(out) to SP(in) and it has not solved the problem :S
I hope This can get solved!!
All the panel and circuitry look like working good.

And it doesn't work even if I power cycle it and turn it on,, this time just connected via midi to my midi controller keyboard it doesn't sound when I hit the keys. SO I think its purely a problem with the SP. (midi)

That's where I'm at right now

I would be very happy if somebody can help me solve this!

Amos

Post by Amos » Sun May 08, 2011 9:36 am

go to the "ENTER = Play Note" page, press Cursor, and Enter... of course make sure audio is hooked up correctly... does it play a note?
alternatively, when you send MIDI, do you see the little MIDI indicator (a black triangle) flashing in the lower left corner of the LCD?
If you hear a note in the first test, and get no MIDI indicator in the second test, then you have a MIDI IN problem.
If you don't hear anything in the first test, you have either an audio output problem with the Phatty, or a problem with your audio setup outside of the Phatty...

Sounds like you might want to contact techsupport at moogmusic.com for more info. Good luck!