Little Phatty vs. Slim Phatty + MIDI Controller

Everything Phatty.
clarke68

Little Phatty vs. Slim Phatty + MIDI Controller

Post by clarke68 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:51 pm

Hello, this is one of those "tell me what to buy" threads.

I've een thinking (dreaming!) about getting a Moog for a some time. My current thinking is that, for around the same price as an LP I could get an SP plus a MIDI controller, something like the Novation SL MKII. Obvious benefits would be a larger keyboard, aftertouch, plus all the flexibility/functionality of the Novation controller.

My question for anybody who has played both, is "what would I lose?"

I've never played an LP in person, how is the quality of the keyboard? I'm also concerned about form factor...one of the things I like about both Phatties is the simplicity/elegance of the UI...I'm concerned that the Slim/MIDI combo may be fiddly when playing live.

Any other thoughts/experiences?

Kenneth

Re: Little Phatty vs. Slim Phatty + MIDI Controller

Post by Kenneth » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:46 pm

I have not played a Slim, but I do own a Little Phatty. I have heard talk that the Slim does have its own unique sound, and is a great standalone synth that can be played creatively without a midi keyboard. However, I have also heard that, when played with a midi controller, it feels significantly less responsive than the Little Phatty. I guess what I'm getting at is, if you are just going to use it for sound effects and arpeggios and such, the Slim seems like it would do its job, but I think if you're going to be using it for leads and basses, you may as well get the LP.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

phono1337

Post by phono1337 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:28 am

Kenneth wrote:I have not played a Slim, but I do own a Little Phatty. I have heard talk that the Slim does have its own unique sound, and is a great standalone synth that can be played creatively without a midi keyboard. However, I have also heard that, when played with a midi controller, it feels significantly less responsive than the Little Phatty. I guess what I'm getting at is, if you are just going to use it for sound effects and arpeggios and such, the Slim seems like it would do its job, but I think if you're going to be using it for leads and basses, you may as well get the LP.
where did you "hear" that, i think its very much rumor. You wouldnt be able to poly chain them if they didnt sound or respond the same.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:19 am

If you are out alot and have a full rack with room for one more module and typically have a single controller (or are replacing one) the SP+Novation combo is a good one. If you are a minimalist and want to travel light, get the Little Phatty and a road case, call it a day.

I have a Tribute and also a Novation MK II SL. The quality of the Phatty kbd (which may be slightly better on the Stage editions) is only so-so. Remember, Moog sought to put the power of analog synthesizers into the hands of more people that couldn't afford Voyagers. The quality of the Novation kbd is about the best I've felt in a modern controller. (I'm actually in the midst of figuring out how to replace mine with a Fatar keybed).

The MK II SL has tons of functions, it's endless actually and that can help you all over your rig if you have other gear. If you don't have other gear, you can bind sliders and knobs to many many functions which are not up front on the Phatty and that is useful too...

But it's not the same. There is nothing like an integrated synth.

A few years back I had about $2,200 to spend and wanted a 3 OSC analog synth. For a spell I considered getting a Voyager RME but in the end, I decided on the 'integrated' keyboard even though I gave up a fair amount in what the RME offers capability wise (Midi, presets, functionality). But this machine (the Voyager Old School) and my Little Phatty have got soul. Rack modules are rack modules and yes you can put it in a fancy wooden box; a very nice one for that matter, but if you are out much (point #1 above) it becomes a burden (extra cables to drag along, needing to find a place mount it within reach).

Analog synths (unless you have Prophet '08 or an Andromeda) are all about tweaking and the proximity of the keyboard to the controls in one unit is what Moog is all about.

Aftertouch won't do anything for you anyway as far as the Phatty is concerned and the touch sensitivity which can be tied to Filter is only of limited value in my opinion. But everybody has different requirements.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:51 pm

You the lose the LP form factor. That's it.

I LOVE my SP, and use it w/ a Korg MicroKey. Basically allows for me to have the SP sit on the table next to my computer and not take up a ton of room (small studio). Microkey is great w/ SP since it's got a modwheel+pitch bend in a miniturized controller, something that doesn't exist elsewhere in the mini-key dept. I know a lot of people really don't dig the minikeys but for me, I do a lot of midi sequencing, so it's exactly what I needed to make everything in the studio fit together properly but still give me the opportunity to quickly play stuff on it. It's velocity sensitive like the LP too, so I can get the same filter action. Oh yeah, it's also got -4...+4 transpose, something you CAN'T do on the LP. I can get lower notes than the LP keyboard can (given, this is really freakin' low).

Here's a crappy ipod shot of it:

p.s. - anyone looking to further miniaturize, the akai lpk25 is an awesome lil controller too. You forfeit pitchbend controls though, and have to use the amount knob trick to simulate modwheel use.
www.ctrlshft.com

clarke68

Post by clarke68 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:28 pm

Thanks gang, valuable feedback.
EMwhite wrote:The MK II SL has tons of functions...and that is useful...

But it's not the same. There is nothing like an integrated synth.
I think this pretty much sums up my thoughts. I am pulled by the features/functionality of the combo, but moved by the LP. Put another way: my head says combo, but my heart says LP. If I'm buying a Moog largely because I love it, I might as well buy the one that is the most enjoyable instrument to play.

CTRLSHFT makes good points, however...as I also have a small studio (a stretch, really, to call it a studio...it's actually a desk). Buying an LP is going to have to wait until I can clear some space for it. But I've waited this long! I will persevere!