New Hardware controller for Moog Slim + Little Phatty

Everything Phatty.
David Bulog

New Hardware controller for Moog Slim + Little Phatty

Post by David Bulog » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:26 pm

JWaltman

Re: New Hardware controller for Moog Slim + Little Phatty

Post by JWaltman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:30 pm

is it that much better then editing on the phatty?

The site doesn't list a price, but it doesn't look cheap, and the phatty is a joy to edit for me. It might be handy for envelope editing but a novation remote will do this trick easily as well.

David Bulog

Post by David Bulog » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:29 am

much better then editing on the phatty-----the idea is to use both together --the patch editor has the controls the Phatty is missing
price is USD$400 ballpark---SOS mag will be reviewing this --they just received one

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:27 pm

Livid is another high end option http://www.lividinstruments.com/hardware_code.php

Novation zero and behinger BCR/BCF2000 are the cheap way to go.

I got a used BCF for next to nothing. It was advertised as a BCR which I thought I wanted for the extra knobs. It was so cheap, it didn't matter. I am so glad that it has the faders. I use them so much more than the knobs for live tweaking. 24 more knobs instead of 8 faders seemed like the right choice, but with multiple programmed setups just a button push away, plenty of knobs were still available for sound sculpting. It has eliminated menu diving for the most part, anything that I would want to change on the fly that is in the menus now has a knob/fader/button. It send 14-bit CCs with a ton of programming options. Well supported by an online community. Relatively cheap build quality compared to the high end models mentioned, but it's 1/4 the cost and my unit has not failed me once yet.

HowardJones

Post by HowardJones » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:18 pm

Sir Nose wrote: Novation zero and behinger BCR/BCF2000 are the cheap way to go.

I got a used BCF for next to nothing. (snip) Well supported by an online community. Relatively cheap build quality compared to the high end models mentioned, but it's 1/4 the cost and my unit has not failed me once yet.
+1 for the BCF. I know Behringer are controversial but the BCF is excellent value and reliable, I've had mine since they first made them and it hasn't had any problems. It makes all kinds of devices so much more useable. I assign the faders to envelopes and the knobs to filter settings and osc waveforms etc. Plus it can serve as one extra midi interface.
Two Slim Phatties 313 and 354- DSI Tetra - DotCom System - Korg Poly 800 - Yamaha DX27 & RS7000 + Matching Moog Pocket Protectors

JWaltman

Post by JWaltman » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:42 pm

I think that new controller is indeed perfect for synths like the MKS80, which are terrible to program. But for a synth with much hands on control like the LP it seems to be overkill. Most options on the LP are really easy and fast to edit. As I said, it might be handy for Envelopes but cheaper alternatives are available.

But I do have to say I wish this controller had been released earlier, I heard about it some months ago but that was just after I sold my MKS-80. A very lovely synth -perhaps the best synth I ever played- but it was such a pain in the ass to use it in a production environment I had to sell it, just to make sure I wouldn't use it.

Still, when I have the money to buy one and buy that controller, I won't hesitate for a min.