New SP owner

Everything Phatty.
RokGeetar

New SP owner

Post by RokGeetar » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:20 am

Hi, my name's Rok and I'm a guitarist :anxious:

I'm the proud new owner of a Slim Phatty - and I'm absolutely loving it! Being a guitarist I love the analog, organic side of sound production. I've always loved the sound of a Moog, going way back to early Rick Wakeman, ELP and all those bands, and I've always aspired to owning a Moog myself, even though I certainly ain't no keyboard player! The SP came along and I jumped as soon as I could! I use an M-Audio AxiomPro49 keyboard, which for me is good enough. I've found that leaving a Cubase track in record while tweaking and twiddling the knobs is a great way of learning what the oscillators and filter do, so many variations. I'm a little baffled by the envgens, but I'll get there. The sounds this little thing produces are so raw and ... analoggy that they sit right in there with the way I play guitar - I'ma gonna have so much fun :D

One question - I end up mangling the original sound almost beyond recognition, but I'd like to find some more 'starter' patches as that is the area where I will struggle most to start with. Anyone point me at a patch resource?

Oh and another question if I may - I'm really keen to pass a pre-recorded guitar track through the SP, I know how to pass the signal in, and how to plug a patch lead into the KB socket, but what then :? The oscillators produce a pitch that I don't want, and the sound output from the SP is pretty weak and feeble. I need to learn some stuff right there I think! :)

Cheers for listening - I sometimes tend to ramble a bit so please bear with me :oops:
Rok
Moog Slim Phatty | PRS guitars | Gibson guitars |
Fender guitars | Taylor guitars | Steinberg Cubase

mysterycircuits

Re: New SP owner

Post by mysterycircuits » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:16 am

Hi
I'm a guitarist myself and bought a Phatty for -more or less - the same reasons as you and have never regretted it one second. :D

As for your questions:
-you can use the calibration patch as a starting point; everything's set up pretty neutral, only one osc., filter fully open, etc., just check the individual knob settings and progress from there. If you've mangled your sound, you can always return to your 'point of departure' by pressing the preset button (will change from red=changed to orange=original) and can always go back and forth for comparison.
-for using the phatty as a filter: plug a patch lead into the KB socket, turn the volume of the oscillators down. The signal you feed into the SP has to be powerful enough, so try putting a booster after your guitar, etc... so you can increase the volume going in.That should do it.

Have fun.

RokGeetar

Post by RokGeetar » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:55 am

Thanks for that

Hmm, calibration patch - found that, and managed to mangle it good an proper! But the sound I came up with wasn't particularly inspiring - too much like an underweight bee in a large biscuit tin. I guess what would be useful for me would be some more presets that I can load/program in. My fave at the moment is rezzy dualsaw, so gives you some idea where I'm coming from. I'm kinda guessing that there aren't too many preset banks available out there at the moment as it's still quite new? No probs, I'll just carry on having fun mangling until I find what I like 8) ... renaming patches is a bit :!: isn't it! Figured it out from one of the threads here, but keep forgetting the button sequence!

As far as sending a guitar into the SP, I'll have to revisit that - I remember the manual stating that a good loud signal is the order of the day (owtte). And "turn the volume of the oscillators down" = D'oh! :)
Rok

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:36 pm

I've fixed the patch-renaming bug, just need to test the update and I can release it.
Very, very sorry about that one.

Meanwhile you can load the Tribute Edition, Stage Edition, and Stage 2 presets, so that's 300 more for you to play with...

You should be able to find those preset banks under "downloads" on the respective product pages for the different Little Phatty editions on the Moog website. Or perhaps a helpful person could post a link here.

-Amos

RokGeetar

Post by RokGeetar » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:10 pm

Thanks Amos, excellent news! And thanks for the preset info - 300?! Woohoo!
Rok

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:43 pm

http://www.moogmusic.com/software/LP_TE ... sounds.zip

http://www.moogmusic.com/software/LP_SE ... sounds.zip

http://www.moogmusic.com/software/stage ... resets.syx

ta-daa!

use MIDI-OX (for Windows) or SysEx Librarian (for Mac) to send these to your LP, and you'll be set.
Each file replaces all the sounds currently in your LP with 100 new ones.
You can export your favorites and assemble a custom bank of your own, if you like...
or, just use these as jumping-off points for designing your own sounds!

gabrielstigmatic

Post by gabrielstigmatic » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:07 pm

Do you have to have the editor to assemble our own batch of presets? From what I understand you have to have one of the host programs for the editor to work, correct?

RokGeetar

Post by RokGeetar » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:49 pm

gabrielstigmatic wrote:Do you have to have the editor to assemble our own batch of presets? From what I understand you have to have one of the host programs for the editor to work, correct?
Just thinking out loud: you have the option to dump a single preset. So create and dump single presets as you go. Then when you have acquired a 'batch' worth of dumped presets you load them all in to separate patch numbers on the S/LP and then dump all presets as a singel sysex. Just a guess - what do I know, I'm just the guitar player!

One question - I tried loading in the LP_TE_factorysounds.syx and ended up with a whole bunch of corrupt patches :( Anyone else come across this? The Stage 2 presets loaded in ok. Could it just be a corrupted download? I'll try downloading the .zip again. 8)
Rok

johnjay

Post by johnjay » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:57 pm

RokGeetar wrote:Hi, my name's Rok and I'm a guitarist :anxious:

I'm the proud new owner of a Slim Phatty - and I'm absolutely loving it! Being a guitarist I love the analog, organic side of sound production. I've always loved the sound of a Moog, going way back to early Rick Wakeman, ELP and all those bands, and I've always aspired to owning a Moog myself, even though I certainly ain't no keyboard player! The SP came along and I jumped as soon as I could! I use an M-Audio AxiomPro49 keyboard, which for me is good enough. :
Since you're a guitar player you might like using a Sonuus G2M with your Slim Phatty. A keyboard is of course better if you have good keyboard chops but the Sonuus might be more enjoyable for a gutar player.

John

Assar

Post by Assar » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:54 pm

johnjay wrote:
RokGeetar wrote:Hi, my name's Rok and I'm a guitarist :anxious:

I'm the proud new owner of a Slim Phatty - and I'm absolutely loving it! Being a guitarist I love the analog, organic side of sound production. I've always loved the sound of a Moog, going way back to early Rick Wakeman, ELP and all those bands, and I've always aspired to owning a Moog myself, even though I certainly ain't no keyboard player! The SP came along and I jumped as soon as I could! I use an M-Audio AxiomPro49 keyboard, which for me is good enough. :
Since you're a guitar player you might like using a Sonuus G2M with your Slim Phatty. A keyboard is of course better if you have good keyboard chops but the Sonuus might be more enjoyable for a gutar player.

John
I bought a Sonuus G2M, just to use it with my LP, but returned it a week later. It was a completely useless little thing. It couldn't manage to analyze the tone steady enough, it sounded awful. And, yes, I know it is monofonic and that you have to play very clean on a well tuned guitar.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

johnjay

Post by johnjay » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:07 am

I bought a Sonuus G2M, just to use it with my LP, but returned it a week later. It was a completely useless little thing. It couldn't manage to analyze the tone steady enough, it sounded awful. And, yes, I know it is monofonic and that you have to play very clean on a well tuned guitar.
Judging by the reviews I've read, a certain percentage of Sonuus users have an experience like yours. But then there are others, like me, who find that it works well for what it is and is very useful.

I would say that for it to work you need to adapt your guitar playing to what it can do. You need to play cleanly and it helps if strings are damped between notes. I don't think you can play lightning licks but you can play pretty fast. For really fast playing it's best to play the higher octaves and transpose the notes down to the octave you want them at. And, depending on what you're going for, you may want to stay away from the bottom octave of the guitar. It's also a good idea to start with note bending turned off.

I also find that a quick guitar mod helps a lot. I put a thick rubber band under the strings just in front of the nut to damp the strings. This helps to stop false triggering. The guitar also needs to have a decent set-up, fret buzz can cause false triggering too.

That said, if a person is both a proficient guitar player and keyboard player then I think they would prefer to use a keyboard over sonuus. But if you're good at guitar and a hack on the keyboard then you might find adapting your guitar playing style to what sonuus can do is easier than picking up a new instrument and more in line with what you want to do.

John

Here's a couple of demos I found that show what it's all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLikw5SB ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1kW617K ... re=related

waxdoctor

Post by waxdoctor » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:22 pm

Amos wrote:http://www.moogmusic.com/software/LP_TE ... sounds.zip

http://www.moogmusic.com/software/LP_SE ... sounds.zip

http://www.moogmusic.com/software/stage ... resets.syx

ta-daa!

use MIDI-OX (for Windows) or SysEx Librarian (for Mac) to send these to your LP, and you'll be set.
Each file replaces all the sounds currently in your LP with 100 new ones.
You can export your favorites and assemble a custom bank of your own, if you like...
or, just use these as jumping-off points for designing your own sounds!
Hi Amos,

wanted to ask if there is a reason that you do not offer this downloads on your home page anymore?

The sounds offered at:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Kn ... 0the%20LP/

are very nice but all single .syx and I am not able to send them up to phatty all at once. But maybe I do something wrong. I use Sysex and have the soundtower editor - but find no way.

with the "old" factory banks moog offered it was a single blow and voila!

Many thanks for your help in advance!

Gernot
LPSE#00882,MF-101,102,103,107, CP-251(w/o red jacks), an EP-2 as well, MMVOS #0349, mfb-502,503 & xbase888, vermona per4mer, future retro xs, sms mars/planet7; oth./digi: monomachine mk2, blofeld, clavia electro 2, machinedrum