Running a Korg through the LP

Everything Phatty.
PersonalPan

Running a Korg through the LP

Post by PersonalPan » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:55 am

Hey,

Is there any way to run a Korg Kaossilator (1/4" Output) through the Little Phatty?

Thanks!

SteveD

Re: Running a Korg through the LP

Post by SteveD » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:43 pm

The Little Phatty has an audio input that runs external audio through the Filter, then through the VCA.
In order to get sound through the VCA has to be opened by the Volume Envelope Generator - which is done by playing notes, or by using the External Gate input.

Details about these things are in the user's manual if this interests you.

SD

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:19 pm

Yep, just run the kaossillator out to the audio in on the left side of the phatty. Im not sure if the kaoss sends out gate info via midi, but you might be able to take the midi out of the kaoss to midi in on the phatty to trigger notes
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

Assar

Post by Assar » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:08 pm

ColorForm2113 wrote:Im not sure if the kaoss sends out gate info via midi, but you might be able to take the midi out of the kaoss to midi in on the phatty to trigger notes
Just take a chord and plug one end into the gate in. That will open up the gate.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

PersonalPan

Post by PersonalPan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:03 am

Thanks for the responses. I'm still getting dead air, so I must be missing a step somewhere. I'll keep trying.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:18 am

Plug the Kaossilator out into the audio in, plug a short mono cable connected to nothing into the gate in (this opens up the gate), make sure the sustain level of both the amp and filter env are turned all the way up, turn the OSC level down on both OSC, filter res down, turn the filter cutoff all the way up. Play the Kaossilator, you should here its audio coming out the LP audio out. Now play with the settings till you here the desired sound.

There is a lot you can do using the envelopes rather than just having an open gate and mixing the LP OSCs with the incoming audio, but the above should get you started with using the external audio in.

There is no attenuation or boost for the incoming signal within the LP. This must be done externally before sending the signal into the LP.

RokGeetar

Post by RokGeetar » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:14 pm

That's good info Sir Nose - I'll try the same with my guitar 8)
Rok
Moog Slim Phatty | PRS guitars | Gibson guitars |
Fender guitars | Taylor guitars | Steinberg Cubase

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:08 pm

Note: you will definately need a preamp or boost pedal between your guitar and the LP
Do NOT send a speaker level signal into the LP, line level only

graphix

Post by graphix » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:11 pm

does the lfo on the filter work in this mode as well?? what about the filter ADSR?

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:55 pm

graphix wrote:does the lfo on the filter work in this mode as well?? what about the filter ADSR?
Yes, to the LFO.

The envelopes, amp and filter, only fire when the gate is triggered with a key press or an external trigger signal into the gate CV in, when held open they jump to the sustain level. With keyboard tracking turned up on the filter you could change the filter cutoff with the keyboard or external sequencer. I can imagine that could sound pretty badass on a sustained guitar tone (or another synth) maybe with the arp running controlling the filter cutoff. Glide on would make smooth sweeps off for stepped. I got to go try that now.

Edit: It's quite nice on an external synth :D
With the gate open, have the arp running and the LFO, the mod wheel will switch between/ mix the two mod sources, glide rate has some nice input as well to changing the modulation as well as the chosen arp settings.