Phatty Tuner - Alternate Scales Editor - new video

Everything Phatty.
graphix

Re: Phatty Tuner - Alternate Scales Editor - new video

Post by graphix » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:22 pm

just updated the OS and the only bearing it had on the scales that it seems like siamese clem and mqm husseini scales work... only on the white keys... they update just by scrolling to that listed tuning, meaning that hitting enter didnt seem to make any difference... so yea it seems like updating the OS only affected those two tuning scales the others dont change the pitch whatsoever

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:00 am

correct, hitting enter isn't necessary. most of the meantone, pythogorean etc. tunings are VERY subtle; if you look, many notes have 0 cents of detuning and others have only a few cents. These tunings are most noticeable when playing chords or at least 2 notes of an interval at once, so it can be very difficult to tell if anything is happening on a monosynth (unless you overdub multiple tracks). I test those with a tuner, or by playing only a single note in equal temperament and then playing the same note in an alternate tuning (check the Tuner program to make sure the note in question should indeed be detuned).
If some tunings obviously work, then the simplest explanation is that all tunings work and some are just hard to hear. You can try re-sending the "non-working" tunings again, to be sure. But, if the names show up and the very obvious tunings are clearly happening, then I definitely start to think the problem is one of subtlety and perception...

Cheers,

Amos

HowardJones

Post by HowardJones » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:38 am

Hi Amos,

Just checked this again, I downloaded the application again I re-sent the scales and I am getting the alternate tunings to work now exactly as intended. Don't know what was going on before but probably 'operator error' on my part, sorry! This is a fantastic innovation, well done Moog.
Two Slim Phatties 313 and 354- DSI Tetra - DotCom System - Korg Poly 800 - Yamaha DX27 & RS7000 + Matching Moog Pocket Protectors

bealtown

Post by bealtown » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:39 am

Hi Amos: I have updated my LPStage2 to the latest beta vers of OS3 (#667) and have the Phatty Tuner 0.6 beta running on my Mac. Can you point me to a user manual for running the alternate tuning MIDI info to the LP? or is the PT soft not yet configured yet for the LP? I read all these postings and it seems everyone is starting off knowing how to load the alt tunings...

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:41 am

bealtown wrote:Hi Amos: I have updated my LPStage2 to the latest beta vers of OS3 (#667) and have the Phatty Tuner 0.6 beta running on my Mac. Can you point me to a user manual for running the alternate tuning MIDI info to the LP? or is the PT soft not yet configured yet for the LP? I read all these postings and it seems everyone is starting off knowing how to load the alt tunings...
There's not much to it really. Make sure MIDI is connected from your computer to the LP (on the LP Stage II, the built-in USB is perfect for this). In PhattyTuner, go to the Device menu and make sure the correct MIDI device is selected.
Next, select a tuning from the Tunings menu, or if you're a little more comfortable with the software you can program your own tuning here or load one from a file.

In any case, the number box in the top left of the PhattyTuner sets which of the 32 slots (numbered 0-31) the tuning will be stored in. The only other thing you should need to do is to click the "Send" button at the bottom.

When you click "Send," watch the Phatty LCD. You should see "Receiving Tuning Scale" for about a second. Now you can go to the Master menu TUNING SCALE menu and you should see the new scale appear in its designated slot. You can set the tuning globally from this menu, or you can choose a tuning by number on the Advanced Preset menu and it will set an alternative scale only for that preset.

A final note - a lot of the tunings (such as Just Intonation or Pythagorean) are extremely subtle changes in tuning which are difficult to detect when listening to only one note in isolation. The real difference can be heard more easily when listening to chords or intervals (more than one note at a time). In the case of more extreme detunings such as Maqam Husseini or Siamese Clem, you should be able to hear the difference on a monosynth, no problem.

Cheers,

Amos

PS) this .pdf guide should have been included with the Phatty Tuner:
http://seamslikereality.com/moog/phatty_tuner_guide.pdf
Last edited by Amos on Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:07 pm

Does filter keytrack follow the pitch or is it determined by the key pressed/midi note number? In other words, will using an alternate tuning change the filter keytack?

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:10 pm

Sir Nose wrote: will using an alternate tuning change the filter keytrack?
Short answer is no, filter KB tracking is not affected by alternate tunings.

bealtown

Post by bealtown » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:49 am

There's not much to it really. Make sure MIDI is connected from your computer to the LP (on the LP Stage II, the built-in USB is perfect for this). In PhattyTuner, go to the Device menu and make sure the correct MIDI device is selected.
Next, select a tuning from the Tunings menu, or if you're a little more comfortable with the software you can program your own tuning here or load one from a file.

In any case, the number box in the top left of the PhattyTuner sets which of the 32 slots (numbered 0-31) the tuning will be stored in. The only other thing you should need to do is to click the "Send" button at the bottom.

When you click "Send," watch the Phatty LCD. You should see "Receiving Tuning Scale" for about a second. Now you can go to the Master menu TUNING SCALE menu and you should see the new scale appear in its designated slot. You can set the tuning globally from this menu, or you can choose a tuning by number on the Advanced Preset menu and it will set an alternative scale only for that preset.

Cheers,

Amos

PS) this .pdf guide should have been included with the Phatty Tuner:
http://seamslikereality.com/moog/phatty_tuner_guide.pdf[/quote]
Awesome! I got it that easily! Thanks, Amos, I'm stoked!

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:54 am

Just updated my Trib to the OS3.1 (667). I have been able to assign the 10 new tuning scales found in the Scales Editor to the Trib. However I can't seem to get the editor to save other tunings in the 10-31 editor slots. The Save As just creates another scl. file. Is there a way to create a file which would hold 31 different tuning which could then be loaded into the Phatty?
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

Del-Uks

Post by Del-Uks » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:58 pm

tutstyty wrote:
graphix wrote:video looks awesome, but how do we get it to work? a few of us have the software and have the scales in the little phatty but it doesnt change the pitch.... is there something we're missing?

I'm having the same problem! The directions say to look in your manual for more info about "scale#" but there isn't anything in their or the addendum about that.
HowardJones wrote: Same here, I have loaded in a few different scales successfully. However the scales don't have any effect - whether selected globally, or saved into a patch. The SP continues to play equal temperament. The only thing that changes is the displayed scale...

I'm interested to know how this worked in the demo vid but not for the rest of us. It doesn't seem like it should be complex to get going ?

Has anyone else out there with a SP managed to get alternate tunings to work?
Amos wrote:OK guys, I have a Slim Phatty here running firmware v3.03 617 (what we're shipping now, and available from our website)
and Phatty Tuner v0.6 beta (just downloaded from our website).

Both the Mac and Windows versions of the Phatty Tuner seems to be working perfectly for me. I have the default Slim presets, in which at the preset level, all tunings are set to GL (global), and as I change the Tuning Scale on the Master Menu, I get each new tuning audibly working.

So, for anyone who's not having success with this, can you report here and tell me what version Phatty firmware and what version of the Phatty Tuner you're using? Any other details that might help to shed light on the situation? Thanks.

-Amos
Hi Amos, I have a Slim Phatty here running firmware v.3.12 680/30 (latest firmware available from your website) and Phatty Tuner v0.6 beta : just like graphix, tutstyty and HowardJones... none of the alternate tunings seems to change a thing when selected in the "TUNING SCALE" menu !

Any clue ?

Thank you for your attention.

Cheers,

Aleks

EDIT : I've tried the suggested "Siamese Clem" tuning : no change at all !?!
My Moogs : Minimoog Model D #10790 • Slim Phatty #SP 00433 • Sub Phatty #SUB03422 • MP-201 Multi-Pedal #MP00344 • Moogerfooger MF-104M Analog Delay White Finish #2074 • Moogerfooger CP-251 Control Processor #3962

Del-Uks

Post by Del-Uks » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:12 am

Anyone ?!?
My Moogs : Minimoog Model D #10790 • Slim Phatty #SP 00433 • Sub Phatty #SUB03422 • MP-201 Multi-Pedal #MP00344 • Moogerfooger MF-104M Analog Delay White Finish #2074 • Moogerfooger CP-251 Control Processor #3962

Tabula

Post by Tabula » Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:03 pm

Hi,

SlimPhatty here.

I have the same problem.

Nothing happen.

I loaded the tuning scales with Phatty Tuner, with windows 10 and macOS Mojave.

The tunings load in the SlimPhatty, but when i play keys nothing happen.

Anyone, please ? I want to try this feature !