anyone try polychaining SP/LP's yet?

Everything Phatty.
anoteoftruth

anyone try polychaining SP/LP's yet?

Post by anoteoftruth » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:07 pm

I'm going nuts here waiting for some sort of demo of it.

I got a lot of gear on my list and am ready to make some purchases, and... I really wanna see how this works before I pull the trigger on it.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

David Bulog

Re: anyone try polychaining SP/LP's yet?

Post by David Bulog » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:20 am

I purchased a SP from Shawn at Analog Haven and LP Stage 2 from Noisebug last month
I think polychaining is a bit of a pipe-dream to be honest and that is why you are not seeing a lot of posts
Having said that as an instrument the LP Stage 2 sounds great and as good as any of my vintage mono synths
The only negative is you cant trigger the ARP by gate in---eg send it a trigger pattern from a Kenton box--I like to program my trigger patterns

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:51 am

How is it a pipe dream?

It has polychaining functionality programmed into it. You can already do it with the Voyager RME and the Little Phatty..

I already do it duophonically with my 2 units, but am interested to buy 2 more SP's to create a 4 voice poly setup.

I know how great the synths are otherwise. I just want to know about this feature, as it is entirely possible, and there was a lot of talk about it when the product was released, even mentioned by moog at various times.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

r05c03

Post by r05c03 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:45 pm

I have had not problems polychaining my voyager and LP so I would not anticipate any problem with the SP...I gotta get two just for this purpose...
MF-102, MF-107, MF-m105, CP-251, MP-201, Elektron Octatrack, Filter Factory...

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:41 pm

I know it's doable. I would just like to see a demo vid or something of someone actually doing it before I choose to buy 2.

I think Moog's marketing department is really missing a opportunity to catch peoples attention with a polychaining demo video.

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:34 am

I own 2 LPs but polychaining with just 2 voices isn't very interesting, I'm waiting for the SP to be available here in Holland so I can hook it up to create a 3 voice polymoog. Hell, maybe I'll buy another one for a proper 4 voice system. :)

svshkurkin

Post by svshkurkin » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:52 pm

I agree. When the Memory Moog came out, in 81, I was too young and too poor to get my hands on one.
When I say the Slim Phatty and it's price, I thought, hmm, four of those together with a controller
may make an interesting instrument that hit's the 2 to 3K price point. But it concerns me that
I haven't heard more about it. Is there some technical or sonic reason. I would think Moog marketing would look at it. Is there any talk of
Moog developing a poly synth at whatever price point? Would love to hear anyones experience and comments. Thanks
SVS in Davis

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:49 am

Maskin wrote:I own 2 LPs but polychaining with just 2 voices isn't very interesting, I'm waiting for the SP to be available here in Holland so I can hook it up to create a 3 voice polymoog. Hell, maybe I'll buy another one for a proper 4 voice system. :)
Sorry I haven't done any A/V demos yet, but I agree - I tried 2-voice poly and it was OK, somewhat fun... but as soon as I added a third voice it became, not 33% more interesting, but more like 300 percent!

Some time in the next few weeks I promise to do some demos.

Cheers,

Amos