SP vs LP

Everything Phatty.
weemac

SP vs LP

Post by weemac » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:55 am

Hi all!
A box of newbieish questions here..
I have a Roland A70 controller which is well featured and has a good feel.
I'm wanting to get a Moog but of course buget is important.
Is there any real advantage in the LP over the SP once I hook it to my A70?
Apart from having a keyboard and some different presets is there any functional differences?
What is the feel and quality of the LP keyboard? Is it average or above par? (I know the feel of the board makes a huge difference to how one plays..)

Opinions wanted... :D

emac.

Sir Nose

Re: SP vs LP

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:38 am

The LHC on the LP has a great feel. I have an LP stage 1 and the keybed of the stage 2 was improved to have a better feel. In my opinion the keybed is... so, so. I like the fact that the keyboard is integrated though. No need to daisy chain midi going into the LP from other devices through the controller.

The SP has also added a midi thru (in, out, and thru). The LP has a midi in and out with the ability to merge some incoming info (notes, CC, and velocity merge, midi clock in is not sent out when in merge mode).

If you only buy new then the SP seems like a logical choice. Used LPs tend to go a bit cheaper than a new SP though.

Another thing to consider based on your needs, the LP currently has a CV out mod available where the SP does not. It seems that when time permits this will be added as an SP mod, but so far it has not. Also there has been a few LP special editions released that come with the factory installed CV out mod. No need to send in your LP to get the CV out and they have had a special color scheme.

David Bulog

Post by David Bulog » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:28 am

LP stage 2 is a much better instrument --SP is more like a toy cheaper build quality not as satisfying to own --Im not convinced that the sound of the SP is as good also
(i bought a used LP Stage 2 and a new SP)
If I could do it again I would buy two used LP stage 2 for about the same money

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:40 am

David Bulog wrote:LP stage 2 is a much better instrument --SP is more like a toy cheaper build quality not as satisfying to own --Im not convinced that the sound of the SP is as good also
(i bought a used LP Stage 2 and a new SP)
If I could do it again I would buy two used LP stage 2 for about the same money
I own both. The build quality is stellar on both. The knobs are the same. The buttons are just as responsive. Built like a tank, the steel assembly is substantive and reassuring. Sound quality wise I think they each have a little of their own flavor, the SP sounds a tad brighter to me, which can actually be better for 4-pole LPF use. I entirely disagree about saying the SP isn't as good sounding as the LP, though. Sorry your experience wasn't better with it, but IMO the SP is best thing Moog has put out since the Voyager.
www.ctrlshft.com

David Bulog

Post by David Bulog » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:14 am

the SP is a great instrument in its own right --I would compare the SP to like the Roland MC-202 --even though it shared the same circuit as SH-101
the sound was different
what I said before came out the wrong way--the push button switchs are a little cheaper on the SP and the controls are spaced more closely together-
Moog did cut some corners on the SP--I would still choose a SP over a Midi SEM any day or any of the DSI instruments

weemac

Post by weemac » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:17 am

This is the sort of stuff I wanted to hear about!
It looks like the LP is the way to go unless I can get a second hand voyager at the right price...

Eden.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:44 am

weemac wrote:This is the sort of stuff I wanted to hear about!
It looks like the LP is the way to go unless I can get a second hand voyager at the right price...

Eden.
If you're interested I'm selling my LP Stage II + LP Gig Bag +Extras right now at a pretty great price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Moog-Little-Phatty- ... 2c5935eebf
www.ctrlshft.com

weemac

Post by weemac » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:54 am

CTRLSHFT wrote:

Eden.
If you're interested I'm selling my LP Stage II + LP Gig Bag +Extras right now at a pretty great price:
Well it would be perfect apart from the nasty shipping to Australia.... :lol:

Eden.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:04 am

weemac wrote:
CTRLSHFT wrote:

Eden.
Well it would be perfect apart from the nasty shipping to Australia.... :lol:

Eden.
Erm yeah, that'd be rough. Best of luck on your LP Quest though.

In the meanwhile, here's a couple tracks I finished w/ the LP in the past few months if you still need some convincing:

http://soundcloud.com/ctrlshft/sensuous ... y-ctrlshft
http://soundcloud.com/ctrlshft/saint

A bit of Tom O. SEM and DSI Tetra, but both tracks are 50%+ Moog LP.
www.ctrlshft.com

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:37 am

Dumb question likely, but why are you selling your Phatty, CTRLSHFT? What are you getting instead?

Listened to your tracks and wow, alot there. Your evil Saint bit was a bit much for me at 6am though !!

Two questions: Did you use the Tetra for the drum racks? And how do you like the new SEM? I've been wow'ed by a few of the YouTube clips and have it on my list (am considering the patch panel version as it offers quite a bit of utility).

Thanks.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:52 am

EMwhite wrote:Dumb question likely, but why are you selling your Phatty, CTRLSHFT? What are you getting instead?

Listened to your tracks and wow, alot there. Your evil Saint bit was a bit much for me at 6am though !!

Two questions: Did you use the Tetra for the drum racks? And how do you like the new SEM? I've been wow'ed by a few of the YouTube clips and have it on my list (am considering the patch panel version as it offers quite a bit of utility).

Thanks.
Right now my studio space is limited so the SP was the replacement for the LP. The Tetra doesn't do any drum work on these remixes but all of the strings and a little of the bass are Tetra. The new SEM is super sick. Huge discrete bass, amazing filter flexibility. I am actually going to be selling my midi-cv version shortly to fund a SEM Pro. The MIDI version benefits have been great, though. For me the convenience of midi, transpose, switchable retriggers for lfo, envs, and filter keytrack, built in portamento, and an overdrivable preamp is worth the missing patch stuff.
www.ctrlshft.com

weemac

Post by weemac » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:23 am

Weeeelll...........
I just won a Stage one LP on the bay for a good price (Including the shipping) and it is also fitted with wood sides (the originals are included) I assume that it still has version one OS and will upgrade it to version two once the bugs have been fixed.
I may even do the usb over midi upgrade too....

This should keep me busy for a bit!

Eden.

weemac

Post by weemac » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:34 am

I just got my LP stage 1 yesterday and it arrived without a hitch!
It has OS version 2.21 so no update necessary yet.
Someone has fitted wood sides to it (originals are included) so it looks the part sitting next to my korg es-50.
For something that is so new it really feels like it is old but in fantastic condition.
What a sound! I find that compared to my other keys it tends to sting rather than sing and I like the response from the keyboard (which makes funny springing noises) and can see how it could make me a better player (I'm pretty hopeless)
The sound is so direct and dare I say... blunt! I'll try to soften it a bit with some old school chorus and delays, but as it is you could mix it low in the sound and it will still want to jump out of the speakers at you.
The problem is I now want to have a go on a voyager.... :lol:

emac.