Korg MicroKorg as keyboard controller for SP

Everything Phatty.
Joeg27

Korg MicroKorg as keyboard controller for SP

Post by Joeg27 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:41 pm

Hello, everyone. This is my first post............hopefully this questions does not appear TOO imbecilic.....

The Slim Phatty doesn't arrive for another week, I believe........but can anyone tell me if a Korg MicroKorg would serve as an appropriate keyboard controller (whether in computer based recording AND/OR live performance setting.)

I am mainly considering difficulties regarding mapping. I want to use all parameters and voices from the SP.....nothing more than the keys from the MicroKorg.

Based on forum topics I've read....I realize the MicroKorg isn't highly regarded under any circumstances...but any comments/suggestions as to this type of application would be very appreciated!!

Thank you!

NOTE: I am not asking what keyboard controller is best........I'm only asking if the MicroKorg would work....as I already have it available.
I L.U.V. the SP.

anoteoftruth

Re: Korg MicroKorg as keyboard controller for SP

Post by anoteoftruth » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:45 pm

It would work. Yes.

I'm exercising a lot of restraint right now though. I really want to tell you to get a better controller. Oops.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

Joeg27

Post by Joeg27 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:09 pm

anoteoftruth, thank you for the simple answer.......and for the honesty!

Haha...are you restraining yourself from giving me a list of one hundred + other controllers that are better? I know of a few........but what specifically is it about the Micro that you find so limiting? Again, it's not that I disagree (I do agree, mostly).......rather, I am just interested in what you, personally see as the major setbacks.......

Your opinion is very welcome!
Thanks, Joeg27

P.S.- Since we're on the subject...you might as well give me your top 5 preferred controllers......if you're up to it.
I L.U.V. the SP.

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:54 pm

The little bitty keys and the feel of the wheels are set backs, but the micro korg will work fine until you decide to get a better controller. I don't have any controllers other than my LP, so i wont suggest any. What I will suggest is that you test all the wheels/joystick before deciding on a controller. Also be wary of usb only midi controllers, as I've noticed many of the cheaper midi controllers only have usb and no midi din.
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:56 pm

I like M-Audio's controllers myself. Don't have one, but I've checked them out. Reasonably priced, and of better quality IMO than my LP Stage I's keyboard. Of course, if you have the money, Kurzweil is my all time favorite MIDI controller manufacturer...I no has money for one, though. Great keyboards. :) Also, if you just want a very basic controller with full-sized keys, it doesn't get much more basic than a used Yamaha PSR MIDI keyboard. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:11 pm

Yeah, the microkorg will function.. it's keys and mod wheels should function ok... it's only... playing on those tiny plastic springy keys would kill me.. especially when trying anything difficult. I'm not a huge fan of the microkorg anyway (though it was my first synth, bought when it was first introduced and cost me about 850$ if you can beleive it) the only reason why I cringe at using it as a controller is because of the cheap feel of the keys / mod wheels, and the smallness of the keys themselves. Like I said, it'll function, but I just dont know how enjoyable it will be.

Personally I use my LP as a controller for most things, but I do have a M-Audio Axiom 49 as well... that does more than enough for me to use it as a controller for any software VST's or to control some of my rack synths. The nice thing about them is they are relatively cheap to purchase nowadays (avoid the limited ones, they cost way more usually and are just basically a different color) but they have the drum pads (same pads as the trigger finger which i love) and faders, playback controls, and lots of assignable buttons.. the keys feel decent to play on as well as the mod wheels...

Personally for a controller I don't need something that is uber polished.. especially when I'm only using it to control rack synths and software.. but my standard is just... has to be comfortable to play, easy to use with my other equipment (plug and play is nice) and added functionality like assignable buttons, knobs, drum pads, faders etc are all bonus...

It's nice being able to route things so that I can record and multitrack directly with my gear and not really have to look at the screen as much.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

Joeg27

Post by Joeg27 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:37 pm

This is all excellent information! Thanks very much to all of you for the contributions. Again, not at all that I think the MicroKorg is preferable....it's simply available to me at home- and with the Ltd. reverse "black" keys, no less. But aesthetics aside-- I get your points.

As a matter of note, I do happen to like the keys, if for no other reason than the fact that you don't find this type on many other boards these days...the "softness" and/or "flimsiness" does offer benefits in SOME (not all) melody line runs... :roll: But yes, as most of you mentioned........ there are many other aspects of the set-up that seem to complicate "ease of use."

Nevertheless.....we shall see what happens. I am looking forward to the SP very much....should be another winner for MOOG, as always. :mrgreen:
I L.U.V. the SP.

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:59 pm

Joeg27 wrote: As a matter of note, I do happen to like the keys, if for no other reason than the fact that you don't find this type on many other boards these days...the "softness" and/or "flimsiness" does offer benefits in SOME (not all) melody line runs... :

I do agree that the smallness and springyness of the keys too come in handy in some times of playing... I find if I want to get a really speedy kind of glitchy sound, i'll do like micro-taps and hits on the keys and it works really well for that because it springs back quickly.. but when trying to play big chords and melodies, no thanks haha.

Congrats on the SP! Let us know what you think of it when you get your hands on it!

Joeg27

Post by Joeg27 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:58 pm

Thanks anoteoftruth! And thanks for your positive input. I'll be spending a lot of time recording and figuring all of the details out........and I will let you all know how it is going.
Glad to have found this MOOG forum-- good people here.

Cheers!

And yes, you are quite right.....it's the quick legato lines that are a perfect fit for the MicroKorg.....but the fancy chords...not so easily.
Regardless, I'll likely be spending most of the time figuring out how to get the two to work together......something tells me it will be a bit of a challenge.
I L.U.V. the SP.