Slim & Little

Everything Phatty.
GregAE

Slim & Little

Post by GregAE » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:00 am

For those wondering what the Slim Phatty looks like next to it’s bigger brother, here it is. No fake Photoshop trickery here, this is the real deal:

The slight off-angle of the SP in the photo makes it look as though its panel color is lighter than the LP. It’s not, it’s the same. One thing that IS different is the color scheme of the backlit switches on the SP - it’s the reverse of the LP. The SP switches are RED while the LP Stage II switches are AMBER.

The sound is, of course, awesome on both…

- Greg
Last edited by GregAE on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Krinor

Re: Slim & Little

Post by Krinor » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:47 am

Nice shot. Thanks!

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:33 pm

arg! need 3 now!

Thanks a ton for the post.. nice to see the comparison!
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:37 pm

Show off !! (just kidding)

Can you tell me (assuming this is your serial #0002 compensation for doing the manual and not just a picture you snapped at MoogFest) if the new OS has a true keyboard split feature, or is it the same quirky Poly function.

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on one of the new SEMs. With an LP and a Old School MiniMoog, I really want to get my hands on a different sounding module with expanded CV capabilities. The Dark Energy had some of this appeal but having fallen for some of the videos I've seen recently on the SEM, I'm close to sold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yFMbd1LLYA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeF0i2saxjc

Thanks.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:46 pm

EMwhite wrote:Show off !! (just kidding)

Can you tell me (assuming this is your serial #0002 compensation for doing the manual and not just a picture you snapped at MoogFest) if the new OS has a true keyboard split feature, or is it the same quirky Poly function.

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on one of the new SEMs. With an LP and a Old School MiniMoog, I really want to get my hands on a different sounding module with expanded CV capabilities. The Dark Energy had some of this appeal but having fallen for some of the videos I've seen recently on the SEM, I'm close to sold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yFMbd1LLYA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeF0i2saxjc

Thanks.

Those videos are of the 2 voice and 4 voice... Are you looking at those? Or the new SEM's? Cause so far the new SEM's don't have any polychaining capabilities, unless you get a seperate midi / cv converter for polyphony... That was my first concern when I looked into the SEM's, but I emailed Tom O about them and he pretty much said... there is no functionality unless u find a decent midi to cv converter like the "encore electronics expressionist", which isn't in production anymore.

I'd be really interested to learn of any other solutions you may know about that I dont... I'd love a home made SEM 4 voice... but I think I'm going closer and closer to a 4 voice LP/SP hybrid.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:00 am

The odds of finding an arp unit from a 2 voice or the programmer from a 4 voice are slim (no pun intended) to none. These things are part of the original keyboard, not parted out and go for big $$ on eBay (several thousand).

For me, it's just the single voice that I'm after. If I can come up with something crafty down the road, then fine. At a minimum, I have an analog sequencer that I'm working on (science project) that I'll use to drive one, and be able to play a 2nd some day (so everything and then some from the 2-voice video will be possible, but not as neatly packaged... I'm ok with that).

I have a few Ob-Matrix modules and a Matrix 6 and the sound and modulation capabilities are 2nd to none (in my opinion) for an 80's key, it's the discreet nature of the SEM and all of the CV ins/outs plus the fat sound of the SEM really appeal to me. Just looking for a little variety is all.

A friend of mine has a 4 voice and has had OBs for ages, he picked up a new SEM and said that the sound is indistinguishable from the original.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

insomniyack

Post by insomniyack » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:07 pm

I highly recommend the new SEM! It truly sounds like no other analog and it's built pretty sturdy! Plus no digital sound sound either...it's as real and as analog as they come!!

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:22 pm

The SEM's do sound great.. if I end up wanting another standalone monophonic synth, that will be the one I grab.

But right now I'm still kind of hooked on the idea of building a poly. I'm just waiting for those video's Amos said they'd put together to show off the polychaining features of the LP and SP's. I want to see how succesful it would be to chain a few of the SP togethers, and how succesful playing chords would be (and how bad the voice stealing may or may not be).

I've thought pretty long and hard about what I want to do with a poly... and I keep coming back to the idea of a Moog system.. I've looked and thought about buying a Prophet 08 for quite some time.. but everytime I play one or hear one.. it sounds too polished to me.. In fact I want a moog poly because of the opposite.. I could make it sound polished if I wanted to, but it has the capability of sounding very gritty.. and very organic.. that organic kind of sound in a poly I find is rare, and it's what I'm looking for.

But it's kind of a experiment and a gamble at this point too, without having seen anyone pull it off yet. The REM has been out forever and has polychaining capabilities, and I've yet to see any samples or videos of people using them that way.

The SEM is definitely on my list of things to add to my studio though. Right after I get this poly business sorted out.