MP-201 vs CV output mod?

Everything Phatty.
bloodsample

MP-201 vs CV output mod?

Post by bloodsample » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:41 am

Good morning,

I'm fairly new to analog synths and CV so bare with me here.

The LP's output mod gives you the following 5 CV outputs:
- Gate (O to +5V)
- Pitch (1 volt per octave)
- Volume Envelope (0 to 5 Volts)
- Filter Envelope (O to 5 Volts)
- Mod Bus (Variable)

For the sake of this post let's ignore the Mod Bus and say it only has the first 4 CV outs.

The MP-201 has MIDI input and has 4 CV outputs (which I'm guessing are assignable).

So my question is can the MP-201 be used as kind of a CV output expansion to the LP in a way?

The LP sends the gate,pitch,volume and filter envelope via MIDI to the MP-201 and the MP-201 in turn sends this data to its CV outputs (assuming you can freely configure the internal routing of the MP-201).

Again, I'm new to this so it's very possible that I may be completely misunderstanding all this.

Cheers!

Sir Nose

Re: MP-201 vs CV output mod?

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:56 am

yes. The LP sends 14 bit midi on the filter cutoff and mod wheel. So, the control should be very smooth on those two controls. Pitch with a note should not be a problem. I am not sure how glide and pitch bend will react from a midi to CV conversion. I am not sure if pitch is 14 bit or 7 bit. I am not totally sure how the MP-201 handles CV gates, but I think you're okay there. Some people would not like this route because of possible conversion lag or artifacts. I have not heard of any actual issues though.

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:48 pm

I would be really curious about this as well... since I am interested in the CV output mod, but less interested in sending my LP over the CAD/US border.....

Still no word back about wether or not Long and Mcquade in toronto would be able to do the mod yet like Amos was on the fence about before....

But if the pedal worked well I'd consider that as a alternative
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:51 pm

bloodsample wrote:Good morning,

I'm fairly new to analog synths and CV so bare with me here.

The LP's output mod gives you the following 5 CV outputs:
- Gate (O to +5V)
- Pitch (1 volt per octave)
- Volume Envelope (0 to 5 Volts)
- Filter Envelope (O to 5 Volts)
- Mod Bus (Variable)

For the sake of this post let's ignore the Mod Bus and say it only has the first 4 CV outs.

The MP-201 has MIDI input and has 4 CV outputs (which I'm guessing are assignable).

So my question is can the MP-201 be used as kind of a CV output expansion to the LP in a way?

The LP sends the gate,pitch,volume and filter envelope via MIDI to the MP-201 and the MP-201 in turn sends this data to its CV outputs (assuming you can freely configure the internal routing of the MP-201).

Again, I'm new to this so it's very possible that I may be completely misunderstanding all this.

Cheers!
I've got both. If given the choice and could only have one (or the cost/hassle of shipping was a showstopper), it would be the MP-201.

It's far more versitile in that it can perform many CP-251 functions.

From an envelope gen perspective, one thing you will lose is the ability to drive other devices with the Phatty's Vol or Filt envelope but there is nothing to say that you can't frove both the LP and another device (Vol + Filt env) from the pedal in one shot mode (bound to midi note on).

Also worth noting that the MP has a 5 stage envelope (there is an 'H' old in fron of the ASDR. However, setting the levels is a bit tedious but there is nothing from stopping you from mapping midi values from your LP into the 201's ENV and then store it as a patch on the first channel for instance then use Pgm Changes to match the Phatty 100 presets. (Sadly there is no software editor for the MP yet).

Also you can use it to generate and drive midi clock for your LP's arp or lfo and other devices.

I also use it as a midi interface for old school non usb based keyboards but that is minor.

If you have a specific scenario that you would like to address let me know or better yet, post on the 'controllers' forum so that others can respond.

A pure analog buff might turn up his or her nose at the option but it's the 21st century and Midi and CV actuall work quite well together thanks to this wonderful device.

Hope this helps.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!