new slim phatty with Bass guitar?

Everything Phatty.
avj

Re: new slim phatty with Bass guitar?

Post by avj » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:12 pm

johnjay wrote:
EMwhite wrote:Interesting. So it's a matter of the wave and latency, not necessarily how clean the particular note is played? Based on what I heard/saw/read, I I thought that it had to do with the attack on notes (or absence of it) and thought maybe a compressor might help.
The frequency of the note determines the latency but you have to play clean or you'll trigger the wrong notes. If you play more than one note at a time you get bad sounds. Certain fretting techniques that sound fine with the guitar pickup can trigger wrong notes. If you fret hard, almost like a hammer on but not that loud you can trigger a wrong note. If you're guitar has any fret buzz you'll trigger wrong notes. But even with all that, there's still a lot of room for expression. Hammer ons and pulls-offs can work. Bending notes work too.
Proper use definitely requires a bit of discipline and finesse. When I first started using it, I approached it as an entirely new instrument. As you mentioned in an earlier post, this was something you also did.

This may sound a bit ridiculous, but I actually have an EHX Big Muff in a switched loop that runs before my G2M. It has absolutely no effect on the sound; its only purpose is to feed the G2M a nice sustainy signal. I previously had an EHX Black Finger compressor after the Big Muff to sort out the transients, but I took it out after realizing the Big Muff does a decent enough job at squishing the signal.

Here's how I have it integrated in my setup for live play: http://bestnetworx.com/uploader/files/1 ... iagram.png

Option two is my favorite, where I can play things on the guitar and have the Little Phatty in parallel with my guitar and other effects. It's a great feeling.

johnjay

Post by johnjay » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:50 pm

I noticed they have a V2 version of the G2M that just came out. It's supposed to improve the latency and note detection.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:50 pm

johnjay wrote:I noticed they have a V2 version of the G2M that just came out. It's supposed to improve the latency and note detection.
I hope it's better. I was at Guitar Center today and picked up a POG (Micro) for my Bass. Tried it and the MXR unit out. The MXR was horrible even with a MusicMan Stingray (which has a good preamp in it). I asked the guy at the counter, whom I've known for some time if he even had the G2M, he said he's sold about 10 of them and every single one has come back.

V2 has got to be better.

My impressions on the POG (polyphonic octave generator), while not necessarily interesting to a Moog crowd, is that the thing is brilliant. Tracks absolutely perfectly across the entire range of my bass, with chords, etc.

Hoping that a v2 of the B2M is soon released.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

johnjay

Post by johnjay » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:19 pm

These folks seem to be able to make the new G2M it work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wOoIZSH7G8

BigMurf

Post by BigMurf » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:28 pm

I know this is an old post, but have been thinking about this myself. I have a Slim Phatty and wanted to use my bass guitar as a midi controller for it.

If the latency issue is due to waveform length maybe a pedal/effect/piece of software that could transpose the audio signal from the bass up an octave or 2 then have the output from that fed into one of these MIDI convertors before sending the resultant MIDI data to the synth. The faster waveform cycle would vastly reduce audio analysis time and to get the originally desired pitch simply use the octave down setting on the synth.

:?:

I may be wrong as it introduces the extra process in the signal path, but I am not certain. I was wondering whether anyone had tried this and could recommend some software or hardware that implements this? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

avj

Post by avj » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:13 am

BigMurf wrote:I know this is an old post, but have been thinking about this myself.
No worries on the old post thing. A lot of people on every internet forum seem to get upset when ancient threads are bumped, but that's what the search function is for. I'd never have seen this otherwise.
BigMurf wrote:If the latency issue is due to waveform length maybe a pedal/effect/piece of software that could transpose the audio signal from the bass up an octave or 2 then have the output from that fed into one of these MIDI convertors before sending the resultant MIDI data to the synth. The faster waveform cycle would vastly reduce audio analysis time and to get the originally desired pitch simply use the octave down setting on the synth.
This is a great idea in theory, but thwarted by one fundamental problem: the octave transpose buttons on the panel have no effect when using an incoming MIDI Note On data.

I was also disappointed by this discovery, as it would be a nice feature -- but unless something has changed in the firmware in the last minor revision, the transpose via octave buttons will not work.

I believe our use cases with the pitch-to-MIDI device are unique in that it would usually be the responsibility of the external MIDI controller to handle the transposition and let the Phatty deal only with interpreting the Note On. For example, an external keyboard MIDI controller would have its own octave transposition buttons and would handle the transposing outside of the Phatty.

This may be a good idea for a feature request in a future firmware update, and it's worth pinging Amos or their support via email. Not sure how likely it is as from what I understand the firmware is already near the practical size limit, but I could be wrong about that and this could be a fairly simple feature.

BigMurf

Post by BigMurf » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:18 pm

avj wrote: This is a great idea in theory, but thwarted by one fundamental problem: the octave transpose buttons on the panel have no effect when using an incoming MIDI Note On data.
Cheers for your reply, I don't want to seem rude, but it seems you are wrong on the quoted point.

From the Slim Phatty manual:

"Octave Up/Down:
The OCTAVE UP and OCTAVE DOWN switches transpose incoming MIDI notes up or down by octaves. The range is –2, -1, 0, +1, +2"

I'm currently attempting to use cycling74's programming software Max5 to make a patch which should transpose incoming audio and convert to midi note. Having issues at the moment due to 100ms latency caused by the FFT method I have tried so far, but i'll keep trying and see if I can find anymore helpful info on cycling74's forums. If I can get this working I should be able to use amplitude information to control velocity also. I'll post back here if I manage to produce a useable patch and link it for free download.

avj

Post by avj » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:04 am

Whoops; I'm an idiot.

I somehow neglected to take special note of the "Slim" part of this discussion. The functionality I described is how the Little Phatty operates, and since they're alike in nearly every regard I assumed -- incorrectly -- the Slim worked the same way.

Sorry for the confusion, but happy this will work for you!

Cillian

Post by Cillian » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:55 pm

Hey!

Did Thisbe work for you? I'd love to know!

avj

Post by avj » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:01 am

Cillian wrote:Hey!

Did Thisbe work for you? I'd love to know!
Did you take the time to read any of the thread's contents?

Crazyfist

Post by Crazyfist » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:18 pm

I've owned a G2M for a while, it's not too bad in the higher register... but that's not good news for us bass players.

Check out this video, the guy gets a guitar to work through a Slim Phatty by plugging in a 1/4" to the KB gate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_XrrwqhWmQ