King of the Phattys

Everything Phatty.
DanesGer

King of the Phattys

Post by DanesGer » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:17 pm

Straight up!
I’m curious of other peoples experiences with the phatty line.
I’ve owned the sub phatty, sub 37, subsequent 37 and slim phatty and to me, the slim holds the crown and it’s the one I’ve kept. I think it’s all about those vcos and filter overload you find on the slims or littles that sets them apart from the rest. I wasn’t a big fan of the filter drive on the subs/subsequents and the vcos…well I don’t know, I could easily match them with vsts.
What’s your take?

stiiiiiiive

Re: King of the Phattys

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:15 pm

Hi DanesGer!

Raising my hand here.
I bought my first Little Phatty in 2009 and replaced it shortly for a LP CV out a couple of years after. I then had some Slims to try out duophony or travel lighter.
I also played a friend's Sub Patty weekly -we were rehearsing at his place. I was globally less seduced by the MultiDrive sound with respect to the LP's Overload, just as you. One thing though is that one needs to mix the Sub's oscillators to less than 12h to unchain a certain subtlety... which I did not know by then. The other point is the oscillators: they feel too modern for me. Less rock'n'roll than the LP's.

When the Sub37 was announced -and the front panel unveiled- I was really, really excited: it had so much more than an LP, duophony... I thought I might replace my LP with it. But I came to try it and was disappointed by the sound and feel. Or is it just me being used to my instrument.

Besides sound, there are two other aspects of it I like:
- the interface sits in the right spot between immediate and complete
- there are just enough possibilities not to get lost in sound design when composing music, plus it stimulates creativity.

Anyway, I ended keeping a Little Phatty around: it's my stage synth.
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobustAmerican

Post by RobustAmerican » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:40 pm

For simple lead sounds, I often create the same patch on the S37 and the Slim and then compare the 2 (in the mix) to see which one I prefer. It's usually the Slim, especially when using Osc 2 to create an interval. Perfect 4ths and 5ths always seem to sound better to me on the Slim. Maybe it's the drift or just the way the oscillators interact when spread out over a few semitones. Just my 2 cents.

electronicpoison

Post by electronicpoison » Mon May 09, 2022 3:55 pm

Hello,here the same I still have my lp with the cv outs. I prefer it.

elsapo2001

Post by elsapo2001 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:27 pm

I prefer the sound of the Slim Phatty over the Sub 37CV but clients expect one in the studio just like the EL Distressor.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:10 pm

Interesting.
What about having a LP / Slim sitting next to the Sub37 and the customers to compare? :)