Simple DIY-fix to get a more open sound on your LITTLE PHATTY TRIBUTE EDITION

Everything Phatty.
danne71

Post by danne71 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:23 pm

You only need to cut/desolder a capicator.

I was thinking of selling my "little Phatty TE" becouse of the lack of brightness in the sound. Ok i have heard that the oscillators was to blaim for this.(?)

Today i did some testing with a oscilloscope and the waveforms lock as they should both Prefilter and postfilter... hmm why not on the output? I found a extra capicator (10 nF, marked 103) in paralell with R62 to work as a extra LPF after the VCA....(Why?). When removed, the sound opened up and the phatty sounded more like a minimoog.
Now i do not need to sell the moog LPTE.. Im very happy. :lol:
/Dan Lind

grenert

Re: Simple DIY-fix to get a more open sound on your LITTLE PHATTY TRIBUTE EDITION

Post by grenert » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:41 pm

Glad it worked for you! Do you know what the value is of R62? I'm wondering what the intended cutoff frequency is.
Moog stuff: Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Mother-32, Werkstatt x2, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-108M
Running Moog software on Win7 64-bit
Dreams of a Voyager XL some day...

danne71

Re: Simple DIY-fix to get a more open sound on your LITTLE PHATTY TRIBUTE EDITION

Post by danne71 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:21 am

Not easy to see, but i think SMD code is 103 on the resistor(10K)
Attachments
Image1.jpg

grenert

Post by grenert » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:00 am

Wow, that is a cutoff of 1591 Hz. Pretty low, even for a 1 pole filter! Not surprising that it is audible. Is your photo a "before" shot, or did you decide you like it better with the capacitor back in place? Might be fun to make it switchable.
Moog stuff: Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Mother-32, Werkstatt x2, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-108M
Running Moog software on Win7 64-bit
Dreams of a Voyager XL some day...