Do I need a special cable for CV?

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
insomniyack

Do I need a special cable for CV?

Post by insomniyack » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Just ordered a Etherwave Plus and I want to use it with my Minimoog Voyager to open up the realm of textures my synth can make but I don't have any 1/4" CV cables.

Do I need a certain 1/4" cable to use for CV or any audio cable will work? Does it make a difference if it's balanced or unbalanced?

EricK

Re: Do I need a special cable for CV?

Post by EricK » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:42 am

An audio cable will do the job. TRS cables are preferred. Im not quite sure what you mean by balanced/unbalanced because im no engineer.

TRS cables are preferred because a mono cable will short to ground on the Foogers, leaving the other CV jacks useless essentially. This is why I can't use my ep1 and another cv because most of my cables are mono.

I don't know if this property is similar on the Voyager so I can't say for sure.

For one cv at a time it should be no problem, in fact, I controlled the volume and pitch cv with my EW+ and my everyday cables and it worked fine.

I have youtube videos demonstrating THe Voyager theremin combo but they aren't that musical

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eleittomrtE
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

kimbo

Post by kimbo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:55 am

Balanced and non-balanced, refers to the output (level) of the device, and in the case of a Theremin, this isn't applicable.
As long as you use a good 'audio quality' patch lead with 1/4" jacks, it will be fine. :D
Kimbo:
MacBook Pro, Minimoog Voyager Old School, VX-351, Etherwave Theremin, DSI Prophet 08, Trax Rota-Synth RS-1.

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:22 am

and with cv signal it's often a good idea to keep the cable as short as possible espec if you want to control pitch with it. otherwise the tracking might get disturbed/ influenced.
haven't tried it out with the theremin yet, but with other analogsignalsynth's this was recommendable

ydang

Post by ydang » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:28 am

So which one is the correct one?

ydang

Post by ydang » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:44 am

IS IT THIS ONE:

ydang

Post by ydang » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:49 am

So which one is the correct one?