I want to bass wobble with a midi theremin

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
thefunktopus

I want to bass wobble with a midi theremin

Post by thefunktopus » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:49 am

Is this possible? I remember seeing some youtube video a while back that I can't seem to find now of some dude with a modded wii remote that he would use to control filter cutoff as he played the notes on a keyboard. Basically, I don't really care about controlling pitch, I just want to have one sustained note going and control either filter cutoff or LFO speed with on hand, and FX or other with the other hand. I imagine it would be very difficult to do smoothly, but I am interested in this and would very much appreciated your feedback.

Also, now that the ethervox is no longer in production (not that I could afford it anyway), are there any other midi theremins capable of what I am trying to do?

Thanks!

Thierry

Re: I want to bass wobble with a midi theremin

Post by Thierry » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:14 pm

Actually there is no midi theremin in production. A substitute would be taking a theremin with analog CV outputs for pitch and volume (like the Etherwave Pro or the Etherwave Plus) and to send these voltages into a CV to Midi converter.

But there is a reason why the idea of a Midi theremin is generally not so accepted among serious musicians: A good Theremin allows a very smooth and subtle control of pitch and volume. The corresponding analogue CVs can mirror this. But midi is quantizing all input signals in simple and coarse 7bit data blocks which causes the loss of just this smoothness and subtleness.

From this point of view it might be better to put the midi idea aside and use the CVs directly in order to control analogue equipment like a VC(LF)O or a VCF.
French Mathémartiste, Informagicien, Thérémingénieur ;-)

[url]http://theremin.tfrenkel.com[/url]

thefunktopus

Post by thefunktopus » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:11 pm

Hmm. I really do like the options that midi provide, but OK I will humor the analog idea here for a minute. I do have a little phatty. So I could send the theremin voltages into the LP filter CV input?

Gordon Charlton

Post by Gordon Charlton » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:53 pm

The CV outs from an Etherwave Plus should be compatible with the CV ins on other Moog equipment.
Check out my theremin videos on my youtube channel.

Synthfoot

Post by Synthfoot » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:19 am

Making some wubbstep, yea?

This should help you out with that, I'm pretty sure.

http://cmpercussion.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... in-pd.html

Just download pd and paste the code into at text editor and rename the filetype to ".pd". Then open up the program in Pd and use whatever soft synth you normally use or want to control.