music

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
immlira

music

Post by immlira » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:06 am

What determines how we perceive different types of music? Music can bring out such strong and mixed emotions from every listener. A listener also appreciates certain music over other. A listener will find some music to be horribly and some music to be great. What determines a listener to perceived a piece of music to be a great work of art? What determines a listener to perceive a piece of music to have no beauty?
Last edited by immlira on Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

EricK

Re: music

Post by EricK » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:29 pm

Quite the philosophical question.

I think Beauty is something which moves us emotionally to feelings of euphoria. Probably what appeals to someone depends on their culture or upbringing or what they can personally identify with. For example, There are a lot of really well done country songs, but as I don't identify with the cowboy hat wearing, truck driving, hog wrastler, then it doesn't move me. In fact it moves me to nausea in most instances. But to some people I heave heard them express a fondness of Hank Williams that indeed grants them that Euphoria, and they were the Chevy driving rebel flag flying (in their house on a floor pole) chicken farmer. (Im from Arkansas)

So its just subjective depending on the interests of the individual but nothing specific that I think most people would be able to pin down as being that "Thing" that makes all music or anything beautiful.

EricK
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

frestrobbe

Post by frestrobbe » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:18 am

To my opinion you can't compare different genres like that as they all have there own target groups: age, religion, upbringing,...
and in a specific genre what makes this song beautiful and that song not beautiful? I think there are formulas of songwriting that are quite successful over others, I also believe when you get people listen to a song over and over, their perception changes and in the end they start liking the song or genre, just because they're getting used to it.
Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue, Etherwave plus, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, VX-351, CP-251

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:18 pm

I have heard the "Fresh Prince of Bel Air" and I only hate it more and more when I hear it lol.
If you don't lik something, hearing it over and over again is just torture. My reflex is to run to the tv or kill the sound ASAP as soon as I hear the fresh prince theme song come on. My niece likes to blare it loudly.

You can be talking about different genres of music or art, different people, different natural landscapes.....doesn't matter if or who it is supposed to be targeted at...beauty is something that is defined by the individual. It is a subjective perception.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Niko

Post by Niko » Tue May 04, 2010 10:31 am

for me music replaces spoken words. With words a common code or language is essential otherwise a conversation is not possible. With music no common code is necessary or in other words music is international. And it is difficult to lie with music.
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered" - No. 6

Where is the tutti button on this instrument? ...