"Smell The Rubber!"

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
_DemonDan_

"Smell The Rubber!"

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:52 pm

OK, agreed... Probably one of the stupidest product names in recent history.

(BDSM meets Spinal Tap?)

But, man does it look cool coming out of the bottom of my theremin!

http://www.ultimatesupport.com/product/Custom-6
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Prime NL

Post by Prime NL » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:33 am

Looks awesome Dan..... 8)

Niko

Re: "Smell The Rubber!"

Post by Niko » Thu May 27, 2010 8:23 am

indeed, looks very cool. But it is suitable to keep an Etherwave Theremin in a stable position? I mean a microfone weights much less than a Theremin.
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered" - No. 6

Where is the tutti button on this instrument? ...

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu May 27, 2010 9:28 am

Niko wrote:Indeed, looks very cool. But is it suitable to keep an Etherwave Theremin in a
stable position? I mean a microphone weights much less than a Theremin.
Hi Niko,
My best answers is: This Ultimate Support mic stand is how I use my
Etherwave Plus both live and at home. It's also how I keep it when I'm
not using it. The weight of the base makes it secure enough for my
comfort level.

And you have to understand that, when I use it live, it's in the band's
and crew's walking path, it has 4 cables coming out of it, it's right
next to my trombone that I'm usually grabbing or putting back in haste,
it's also next to my Avion Mixer that I'm always reaching for, and it's
just to the side of a keyboard that I do full arm glissandos on.

And I keep it pretty high in the air too:

http://picasaweb.google.com/TRENDPLANET ... 9872434690

I've yet to have a "whoa!" moment. (Of course, now I've jinxed myself.)

75 more Pink Droyd pics can be found at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/TRENDPLANET ... BRIDGE2010#

Niko

Post by Niko » Mon May 31, 2010 3:09 am

Hi dan,

thanks a lot for your reply. And thanks for the link to the amazing photographs. Really great performance! By the way I still have an old but still working Spectra Physics Argon Ion laser (green and blue lines, 6 watts output, enough to drill a little hole into a wall (proofed!)) with power supply which I cannot use because I don't have rotary current (3-phase AC) power at home and the necessary water cooling access is also difficult for me to achieve. If you like you can have it for free (however you have to take care about the transportation, and this lamp is quite heavy and bulky). This idea came up seeing your stunning stage photographs.

And now back to the music. You mentioned to play also trombone. Before I thought to get involved with the Theremin and its continuous tone spectrum access (not divided by number 12 or so) I thought about a trombone too. And if the world goes really down now an instrument which does not need electrical power may becomes more interesting. I see myself walking in the post apocalyptical landscape accompained by a wireless trombone...(sorry for this pessimistic view, everything will turn positive...)
I suppose you need physical excercise to keep the necessary condition for playing both Theremin and trombone. Is that right? If yes I may need to adjust my phlegmatic couch potatoe attitude accordingly.
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered" - No. 6

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:13 am

Niko wrote:You mentioned to play also trombone...I suppose you need physical excercise
to keep the necessary condition for playing both Theremin and trombone.
Hi Niko,

Playing trombone will certainly help to improve your lungs' efficiency and capacity.
And there have been a few times in my life when I've gone crazy enough on the horn
to feel dizzy, so I guess it's good to be in "better-than-couch-potato" condition;-)

I don't find playing the Etherwave very strenuous, but there are lots of ways that
you can make it so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIZ2z1WwUD8

Back in the '90s I was front row at a Winter NAMM Show performance by Keith Emerson
(I had dinner and wine with Keith and Eric Norlander a little earlier that evening) and
watched Dr. Moog go crazy on a theremin (I think it was in the middle of Tarkus). At
one point Bob had both of his fists wrapped around the antenna and was enthusiastically
thrusting up and down. (My kingdom for an animated gif if anyone has video of that night!)

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:37 am

Strange name, although I love the way that stand looks! The base kinda reminds me of the $5.00 plastic hubcaps I had on my first car. And I mean that in a good way. :) Looks like a very sturdy, very pretty stand. Only thing is...how much would one of these beauties cost? :shock:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Niko

Post by Niko » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 am

Hi Dan,

thanks for your reply and your comment to physical condition. It reminds me a little bit to the period where I played flute (flauto traverso) and my experience in improving my lungs and lips performances. But I gave it up - also because some grounding problems with our PA equipment those days. Although it was very exciting to "taste" the electrical current on my lips I moved towards electrically insulated plasic (or ivory) keys or non contact moving through the air.
But refering to your extraordinary link about an Jimi Hendrix like Theremin performer I start to consider to spend some time in a gymnasium...
And the issue with a trombone is also still in progress. And the probability to get contact with a microphone is lower than with a flute I suppose.