pitch issues

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
architech

pitch issues

Post by architech » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:05 pm

Hi, I just assembled my Etherwave Theremin kit as indicated in the manual and there seems to be an issue with the pitch controller. I get a "dead zone" about 4" from the pitch antennae where no sound is produced. It gets higher in pitch as I move closer to the antennae, but also raises the pitch if I move away from the "dead zone". The sensitivity is outrageous and I can't imagine learning to hit notes so close together. I'm also incapable of producing particularly deep tones as I was hoping to.

Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of the pitch antennae. In a way, stretch out the distance between the notes to allow for easier control?

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:04 am

Welcome to the group. I can't help you with what is wrong (if anything) with your kit. The tuning of the instrument depends on prior assembling issues and other calibrations along the way.

But the dead zone you are describing is absolutely normal (for an instrument not quite tuned for playing) and the pitch knob let you control that dead zone, that should go away when approaching better tuning. On a typical Etherwave Theremin, you can set the playing range to respond to as much as 36 (or even more) inches in distance to the pitch antenna and there is no pitch signal outside that zone. It's a very fine spot on the pitch knob.

You got to learn about tuning your instrument and I can understand there are a few unknowns with a kit vs a factory assembled and calibrated unit, but in the end, the components are the same, so there are no reasons why your finished theremin would not tune similarly to a manufactured unit.

I remember my first few days with the Etherwave (having skipped reading the book), trying to decide if my EW+ needed servicing because that knob sure did not get me the results I expected. There was no issue and the EW+ has been one of my favorites ever since.

Good luck to you!

hastings

Post by hastings » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:51 am

i have the same exact issue. i just finished building the kit and it has a super high tone (no low tone whatsoever). the only zero beat i can get is within 3 or 4 inches.

Wibble

Post by Wibble » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Hi, just got myself an Etherwave too. I think I'm correct in saying that the pitch knob does not function as you might first think (ie. as a straight higher or lower pitch) but is actually a 'proximity' setting based on your body's capacitance (the 'Mastering the Theremin' DVD that ships with the Etherwaves touches on this briefly).

If you move well back from the theremin and adjust the pitch knob at arms length, then pull your arm back and slowly reach forward toward the antenna, you should be able to adjust the point at which the sound first initiates (your lowest pitch).

This confused me at first too, and I'm yet to fully grasp the whole capacitance/tuning/available octaves concept.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:24 pm

Wibble wrote:I'm correct in saying that the pitch knob does not function as you might first think (ie. as a straight higher or lower pitch) but is actually a 'proximity' setting based on your body's capacitance .....
Excellent post Wibble. This is what I was hinting at, without saying it with the proper words. I'll remember that ;)

And welcome to the group.

mwelles

MineToo!

Post by mwelles » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:21 pm

Hi!

Not sure if this problem ever got solved. Mine does this too.

I have an Etherwave Pro hand me down from my brother. It was not a kit (I think).

It exhibits the same symptoms. The Zero Beat point only reaches 3-4" away from the antenna. Adjustment of the pitch controller NEVER gets it to be 36" away. After zero beat, the pitch inverts, then reverts to a high pitched squeal, which is its standard field noise.

Please help! This really makes the unit unplayable.

Thanks!

Guy Welles

Thierry

Re: pitch issues

Post by Thierry » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:00 pm

First, (this is for the kit builders) think that the cover which has 9 hidden metal screws influences the pitch field. A zero beat distance of 4" is normal an correct for an Etherwave without cover. So place it on the theremin before making other tests an remove it only for tuning the internal coils.

Second, the zero beat point moves the farer away from the pitch antenna the more you turn the pitch knob counterclockwise. Ideally the zero beat is at about 60cm (2 ft) when the pitch knob is in its center position and the cover is closed.

Third, the oscillators components are aging, so an Etherwave needs internal tuning from time to time: Open the case and adjust L6 so that you get zero beat at about 4" (10 cm) from the pitch antenna when the pitch knob is in its center position after letting the instrument warm up for 15 minutes. When you close the cover you'll see that you may adjust the pitch knob for a useful pitch range .
French Mathémartiste, Informagicien, Thérémingénieur ;-)

[url]http://theremin.tfrenkel.com[/url]

FranklynJones

Post by FranklynJones » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:11 pm

Hi there,

I received my pre-made theremin today and I'm experiencing the same issues - not matter how I adjust the Pitch Control and Body position I can only achieve Zero Beat at around 3-4inches from the antennae. It's quite frustrating. Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
FJ

Thierry

Post by Thierry » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:54 pm

It's all already written on this forum, just follow the links in this article: http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... 810#p74692
French Mathémartiste, Informagicien, Thérémingénieur ;-)

[url]http://theremin.tfrenkel.com[/url]