I Just Bought An Etherwave

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
Jrayk Roze

I Just Bought An Etherwave

Post by Jrayk Roze » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:29 pm

I got it online, of course. So now, I have to wait in Moog purgatory >:|

Do they have serial numbers on the back of them?
Voyager Old School #0005, Etherwave #18321, Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai, CP-251, and a Nord Lead 2X

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:37 pm

Congrats! One with CV's? A kit?

Assembled units have a sticker with the serial number, on the bottom of the case.

Klopfgeist

Post by Klopfgeist » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:42 pm

Hopefully my Plus kit should come tomorrow! :D
So this thing only plays one note?

http://soundcloud.com/unarius
http://www.youtube.com/user/plague1715

Jrayk Roze

Post by Jrayk Roze » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:51 pm

Portamental wrote:Congrats! One with CV's? A kit?

Assembled units have a sticker with the serial number, on the bottom of the case.
No, I got a standard Ash Etherwave (to match my old school) used for $340.

What kind of mic stands do you need for these theremins?
Voyager Old School #0005, Etherwave #18321, Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai, CP-251, and a Nord Lead 2X

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:55 pm

Normal stand will do. It screws on in place of the mic clip.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:34 am

I was told when I bought my theremin that a tripod mic stand is reccomended. I have never tried it on a round base stand, but I think a tripod would certianly be more stable.

Now instead of a Mic Stand, you can put it on a stool or some other table that is at the right height as long as there are no nails or misc particleboard junk that might mess up the magnetic field.

When you get your theremin, Im sure you won't be able to keep your hands on the thing. (yes that was really lame)

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Jrayk Roze

Post by Jrayk Roze » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:41 am

I ordered a tripod base mic stand with it, but because of supply irregularities, the theremin will be coming a few days before the stand.

I haven't been this excited since my last episode of Moog purgatory.

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:50 pm

i have mine bout a week now, enjoy , this is so much fun . everybody at home think i'm crazy : moving and waving my hands in the air, looking silly, very concentrated though, trying to play a tune or creating an effectsound.
i use a normal though heavy microphonestativ

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:26 pm

I tried both tripod and mic stand. Tripod is not all that much more stable and legs are cumbersome. You're not supposed to touch that thing anyway. For a standard playing configuration, I prefer the mic stand for it's smaller footprint. Makes a lot of sense in the room I am playing in.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:20 pm

A round base Mic stand might make it straighter. If you try to put it with your synths a tripod stand might be crooked (if that matters to you). A round base mic stand might be better on a hardfloor whereas a tripod might be better on a thick carpet. The carpet here is over an inch thick and Id hate to bump into my theremin on a round based stand on this carpet.

Eric

This photo isn't where we are staying now, the carpet is different. I posted to show how crooked it can be. For me who likes to look at my gear for inspiration sometimes, it being crooked can be off putting lololl.

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:57 pm

EricK wrote:Image
I have my EW+ mounted on a tripod boom stand, tilted out over the top of my Voyager. It is very sturdy, though I needed to tie the back end of the boom to the vertical pole of the stand to keep the boom from slowly pitching forward. Before I tied it, it looked like it was solid. However, when I got up the next morning, the boom had dropped down, and the EW was gently resting on the front of the Voyager's keyboard! No damage was done, and a lesson was learned. :lol:

The boom is almost fully extended, and is tilted at about 10-15 degrees from vertical, out over the Voyager. If you do something like this, please be sure to orient the stand's legs exactly like Eric has his in the photo above, with one leg facing forward (in line with the direction of where the boom is tilting...) otherwise the stand will fall over.

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:35 pm

that's why i suggested a heavy microphone stand.

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:43 pm

If the EW is mounted on a straight, vertical stand, then a heavy round base is probably going to be adequate, provided you're careful to prevent it getting tipped over, especially if there are kids around. Otherwise, I would go with a tripod stand as it is less prone to tipping, though you would still want to be careful, especially with kids around.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:02 pm

Lets evaluate the parts of MY particular tripod stand to show the problems facing it.

You have the tripod legs, that join at the base of the shaft that houses the extender. In that shaft is the pole upon which the theremin screws.

The shaft itself will slide up and down (making the whole stand really small for storage), allowing the shaft to even rest on the floor, or to be held suspended in the base where the legs meet. This will give the whole stand either an inch or so of extra height or added stabillity. This also makes getting the whole thing to stand STRAIGHT difficult. So even though the stand is set up in a way where there is a forward leg that might prevent a forward lean of the theremin, youll notice in the picture that my theremin has a sideways lean, due in part to the stand being on carpet AND in part because of the stand itself.

A Good heavyweight stand should be siffucient either of a tripod style of a really heavy bottomed round base.

I hope this was clear, if not ill take some photos clearly showing the fault with my particular stand.

Eric

Jrayk Roze

Post by Jrayk Roze » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:21 pm

My theremin will be in a completely different story, far away from my synths, so I don't have to worry about space. I hope the tripod base stand doesn't look too weird by my fireplace.