50%??!!

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
Don

50%??!!

Post by Don » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:12 pm

Uh, what's the deal with raising the price on the pro by 50% (from $995 to $1495)???? Whew! That's a big jump!

phaseshift

Post by phaseshift » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:20 am

:shock: I'll bet its costing the Moog folk a lot more to produce than originally anticipated. Maybe that's been part of the months of delay. In any event, I'm glad I ordered mine in time for "spring" delivery.

Don

Post by Don » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:51 am

[quote="phaseshift"]:shock: I'll bet its costing the Moog folk a lot more to produce than originally anticipated.[/quote]

Maybe. Not being in on their decisions I don't know.

But I also feel like I've gone to buy a car that was advertised for $10,000, only to find out that the price has unexpectedly been increased to $15,000 for nothing extra.

Initially, I was told that the T-pro would come with some DVDs and a stand (my guess is a microphone stand). I have also been told that they intend to have an ATA-style case available and can ship it to you in that case. I wonder if that is going to be included for the new, higher price? And with a separate output for a tuner, perhaps they will include a tuner, too? Hmmm....I kinda doubt it.

But I do wonder why they have suddenly increased the price by 50%. 24k gold plated antennas?

phaseshift

Post by phaseshift » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:44 pm

Don wrote:
phaseshift wrote::shock: I'll bet its costing the Moog folk a lot more to produce than originally anticipated.

Initially, I was told that the T-pro would come with some DVDs and a stand (my guess is a microphone stand). I have also been told that they intend to have an ATA-style case available and can ship it to you in that case.
I can tell you they shipped one of the DVDs a few weeks ago. They also offered the ATA case to purchasers for an additional $199, but as I recall, that price was for a limited time. I believe it will be shipped separately, although you're supposed to take the foam from the carton the Etherwave Pro is shipped in, and it fits in the ATA case.

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:54 am

This also happened when the Voyager first came out . . . it was originally priced at $3000 and then later sold for $3500. I guess that can happen when you cost an item that isn't yet completed. In the UK, it looks like it has gone up by 30% . . . still a considerable amount.

mal

Don

Post by Don » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:48 pm

[quote="mee3d"]This also happened when the Voyager first came out . . . it was originally priced at $3000 and then later sold for $3500. I guess that can happen when you cost an item that isn't yet completed. In the UK, it looks like it has gone up by 30% . . . still a considerable amount.

mal[/quote]

I understand that. It's can be difficult to cost things out and still make a fair profit before the final charges are made. Just look at what various military suppliers do to the U.S. Government!
:-)

However, the increase of about 15 per cent in the final price of the Voyager isn't outrageous. The 50% increase in price for the Pro is outrageous (unless there are other things now included).

If he Voyager had the same situation it would have come out at $4500 instead of the predicted $3000.

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:26 pm

I suppose the increase in price also helps the "pro" status. Perhaps Moog didn't think there was enough divide between the standard model and the pro version. I noticed in the UK that up until recently the standard Etherwave had been discontinued (or at least sold as a "end of Line" product) but now it's very much back in the catalogues ?!?

Having seen the prototype up close at the moogfest in London I want one but the price hike for me might be the killer . . . and I doubt whether I'll buy a standard Etherwave . . so it's no Theremin for me . . . best check out that Ondes Martenot I found in a shop the other day!

Mal

timfox

Post by timfox » Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:45 pm

This large increase in price is most unfortunate, and will cause me to seriously reconsider purchasing an Etherwave Pro. Moogmusic generously comped me to a DVD of the Kurstin demo of the instrument. It really looks like a beautiful machine. Still, an extra 1/2K. I dunno...