Moog Halloween Theremin Video Contest - Information

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:18 am

I don't think so, Gordon. All one has to do is hear their demos or experience their products and let that speak for itself. Whether or not they get authenticated into the forums quickly isn't going to hurt Moog at all.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Gordon Charlton

Post by Gordon Charlton » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:04 am

I'm sure everyone's reactions differ (*), but it seems to me that it's like wandering into a high-tech gear shop. It's full of luscious kit and you can feel your wallet hand itching, but you have a question so you ping the little bell on the unmanned enquiry counter and nothing happens...

Ten minutes later you're out of the shop muttering about lousy service.

Anyway, until this resolves itself I'm refraining from suggesting to people that they join the forum.

(*) Mine is probably coloured by Mrs C, former customer satisfaction auditor for major multinational, and not afraid of making her opinion known.
Check out my theremin videos on my youtube channel.

CaptRob

Post by CaptRob » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:35 pm

Maybe their admin is just sick or taking vacation. I'm sure it will be resolved shortly! Then we can get these polls moving!
CaptRobThePirate of Procrastination Pictures(c)

http://www.youtube.com/user/CaptRobthePirate

moogmusic
Site Admin

Post by moogmusic » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:34 pm

Sorry for any difficulties in joining the forum. We had a problem with the forum software that should be cleared up now.

Good luck to all the contestants!

saltlocker

New Memberships

Post by saltlocker » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:39 pm

With all due respect, it seems like signing up friends and family for the sole purpose of voting for a video is not really in the spirit of this contest.
Voyager Electric Blue - Etherwave Plus - MIDI MURF

Gordon Charlton

Post by Gordon Charlton » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:20 pm

You have a point, saltlocker, but short of concealing my participation from Mrs Charlton it would be beyond my power to prevent her from voting. She's a very determined lady.

(She was rather vociferous last night about the slowness of the registration process. Personally I hope she does get to vote soon - I don't need another ear-bending on the subject!)

Oh, and FWIW, I voted for Phantasma - not my own entry.

iloveanalogue

Contest Entries

Post by iloveanalogue » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:12 pm

Hey, everyone. I wanted to thank you all for the many views and kind words I've read about my videos, Night of The Theremin and Dawn of The Theremin.

I think it's important for everyone on the forum to vote for their favourite video from the competition not for any personal or monetary gain, but just because it's a way to support a musician's career without having to purchase a CD, t-shirt, or attend a show, although I'm not discouraging
you from any of those actions.

Moog is being very kind to offer all of the finalists a t-shirt, which is more than most would do.

I also agree that people should not just sign up to the forum for the sole purpose of voting, because there are enough subscribers to this forum to create a great competition.

Nor am I suggesting that people vote for the videos that I produced, because the videos are all awesome, and there are some serious
"Mooglomaniacs" out there that certainly deserve the top prizes!

Thank you all for your consideration. Please, if you haven't voted yet, do so.

Many regards,

Robbie Ryan
http://iloveanalogue.blogspot.com

Gordon Charlton

Re: Contest Entries

Post by Gordon Charlton » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:16 pm

iloveanalogue wrote:there are enough subscribers to this forum to create a great competition
I've administered a few lists over the years, and they have all roughly followed what I call "the five percent rule." Pretty much five per cent of the people who sign up for a list will post to it more than just a few times, and of those, five percent will become actively involved and vote on things and stuff. If you get ten percent on either that's better than average and you've got yourself a good, enthusiastic list!

Looking at the forum's memberlist, I see that five percent of the members have posted 25 times or more, so could reasonably be considered active posters. (Or have been active posters at some time or other - but this would be offset to some extent by active posters who joined recently and will get to 25 posts soon enough. (Hey, it's just a rule of thumb - not a serious statistical analysis. Actually participation curves tend to be fairly exponential - take a look at the top ten posters. By contrast, more than half he subscribers have never posted at all.)

Five percent of five percent of 7000 is about 17, so 37 votes so far suggests a good list, participation-wise, maybe with a few spousal support votes, but not many.

I think what will make a big difference to the vote count is the next moog newsletter (I don't recall seeing one since the vote was announced) - particularly if there's a chance of a bit of moogwear for one or two lucky voters. (Yes, I declare an interest - I want a woolly moog hat to go with my forthcoming moog t-shirt!) I don't know, but I would guess the newsletter mailing list is significantly larger than the forum membership, and could easily render friend & family votes irrelevant.

I plan to watch how the voting goes with interest, and not ask my wife who she voted for. (Just in case she watches mine - reanimated dog heads aren't really to her taste. :-)

there are some serious "Mooglomaniacs" out there that certainly deserve the top prizes!
I'm more of a "Ethermaniac" - does that count too?

P.S. While I have the Admin's attention. An RSS stream from the forums would be really great, please.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:11 am

While you are enjoying the fine videos, please don't miss the opportunity to take a look at my Homage to Moog, Leon Theremin, and director F.W.Murnau the greatest of the silent era German Impressionists. I parodied his Nosferatu in my first ever short film called

Etherferatu
link in my signature

Thank you and enjoy the contest!

Respectfully,
Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Yeapsystar

Re: Moog Halloween Theremin Video Contest - Information

Post by Yeapsystar » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:25 pm

... Well ... Just decided to jump in here too! ;-) Some of you do know me, others don't ... I'm not a kinda PhP forum reader as I always got stuck with the threads & messages 'cause of my couple of wiggly wobbly visually impaired eyes ... Anyway ;-)

... Aw cool! I'm happy to read that this contest's deadline will be on November 3! Unless I only read this on the Moog Music Inc. page on Facebook since today, I just was planned to make some Halloween theremin video anyway ... Though I think I will use some cover as music (if that's allowed of course :D ) ... AND ... The Jackula ... :P And Gordon & others who are on my Facebook & Youtube might know who I mean, hehe!
I know ... Time's short and still gotta finish my pre-Halloween video (which is a non-theremin one) ;-)

Love,

Marielle :D

Gordon Charlton

Re: Moog Halloween Theremin Video Contest - Information

Post by Gordon Charlton » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:57 pm

Marielle - I think you got a bit confused - this thread is for last year's contest - the deadline was November 3 last year.

You just missed this year's contest. They announced the winner a few hours ago.

Sorry. :(

Your friend Gordon.