The Art Of The Theremin

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
smogdog

The Art Of The Theremin

Post by smogdog » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:22 pm

When I was in high school, (almost thirty years ago) I bought an immaculate RCA Victrolla dated 1912 from a local antique shop for $30. While the other kids in school were blowing all there money on the recent rock records which went for about $4 at the time, every weekend I would go down to the local Goodwill store and check out the incoming 78s which were going for about a nickel a peice. I would have to say I probably enjoyed this more. One of my greatest finds was Clara Rockmore's "The Art Of The Theremin" which was a set of six 78s in a hard cardboard case resembling a book more than a record collection.

The Victrolla and my record collection parted ways during one of my "starving artist" bouts. However, I see the collection is available at amazon.com for $11. It even bears the same cover that was on the 78 collection. Sure, it's not going to sound as cool as it did coming over an antique Victrolla, but it is an awsome collection just the same.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 90-5605410

fridgebuzzz

Post by fridgebuzzz » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:15 pm

I actually just purchased it today. It is great. I can't help but feel that the etherwave has a purer sinosoidal tone compared to the old RCA on the recording.
I haven't played either so maybe I'm wrong.