Road Case

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
Carvin Knowles

Road Case

Post by Carvin Knowles » Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:04 pm

Does anybody know where I can get a road-case for my etherwave?

I have a gig in New Orleans this October and they have specifically requested my theremin...but I've never taken it on a plane.

Any ideas?

see wayne

road case/new orleans

Post by see wayne » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:52 pm

I've carried my theremin on multiple road trips in vans and airplanes. I found an old hardshell suitcase - a pretty small one - and cut some foam to fit inside, then cut out places for the body, power supply and antennae of the theremin to fit. It works great, as good as the other pro roadcased my other equipment is in (lots of vintage keyboards mostly).

Hey, when and where are you playing in New Orleans? I play in liquidrone, a new orleans based band. We do really well here - and I play the theremin at every gig. A couple weeks ago we were playing at the Contemporary Art Center for probably about 1000 people. There were 2 HUGE screens behind us, one with the video projections we run and another linked to a vidcam a guy was running around the place with. I was doing a long theremin solo and noticed the crowd was way more rapt than usual. I was feeling really good about it - then I turned my head and noticed on the screen behind me like a 30 or so foot projection of me playing. It took me off guard and I kinda botched my playing for a second. Funny.
I'd love to come see your show - I don't know too many thereminists around here.
-casey

Don

Re: Road Case

Post by Don » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:21 pm

[quote="Carvin Knowles"]Does anybody know where I can get a road-case for my etherwave?

I have a gig in New Orleans this October and they have specifically requested my theremin...but I've never taken it on a plane.

Any ideas?[/quote]

Well, I sold mine because the pro was supposed to be available by now (grrr), but I found something that worked quite well.

It's available through Sears (!) and is called:
Craftsman 17 in. Compact Truck Box
Sears item #00965117000 Mfr. model #65117

It let me pack it with the volume loop still attached (all I had to do was take off the pitch antenna. I wrapped the power brick in a cloth and it fits nicely within the loop. The pitch antenna fits on top. You can walk in with it and put it in the overhead. Be sure to keep some information with you so the minimum wage droids checking you out at the airport can see that it is a theremin and not an explosive device.

see wayne

Re: Road Case

Post by see wayne » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:35 pm

Don wrote: Be sure to keep some information with you so the minimum wage droids checking you out at the airport can see that it is a theremin and not an explosive device.
Nice.

bunnyman

Post by bunnyman » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:56 pm

When/where is the show going to be? I moved back here to New Orleans after a few misspent years in Vermont (although they were very appreciative of our theremin and electronics shows in Burlington!). As far as road cases, I've been able to fit it in a small Anvil case with no difficulties. Of course, you can always try it as carry on... I've done it succesfully (the antennae were in my checked luggage, though).

-Andrew Bunny

bunnyman

Post by bunnyman » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:01 pm

see wayne,

Seeing how there are a couple of us in the semi-New Orleans area that play theremin (I also play bass guitar, modular synth, Voyager, etc...) maybe we can hang out sometime? Maybe form an electronic music thing similar to M.E.M.E.? I'm really disappointed I didn't see your show at the CAC! Unfortunately, I didn't know anything about it...

-andrew bunny