Big Briar 91b

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
halen99

Big Briar 91b

Post by halen99 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:07 pm

Hello all. I was given a Big Briar series 91b U shaped theremin a few years back from a buddy. I'll never let it go and really love it but as I try to find out about this model it seems as they are rare.

I'm curious to know the value of one in good shape. I've searched ebay for the past few years and have not seen one pop up at all.

Were there limited numbers produced? Are they special? If they went for 2K back then are they worth the same, less, or more now?

Thanks.

Eddie

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:30 am

Please show us a pic!
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

halen99

Post by halen99 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:28 am

this doesn't show the stand but you should get the idea, I could set it up better and take another photo if you guys want.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:34 pm

Dude you might have something very very rare right there. That looks like an RCA style design, but the control panel looks like the one used for the Ethervox.

I don't know, Ive never heard of that unit. Does it have a serial number or any labeling on it? The way it looks, it could be some kind of prototype but I have no idea about how that would end up in private hands of someone other than Bob's colleagues.

Regardless, Great freaking score there.

Eric

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:38 pm

http://www.thereminvox.com/article/articleview/109

Big Briar Series 91
February 21, 2004
Designed by Bob Moog, the Big Briar Series 91 theremins were produced from 1991 to 1997. Series 91 are still played by Japanese thereminists Masami Takeuchi and Hiroshi Takano, by german thereminist Carolina Eyck and by U.S. thereminist James Coleman. Since they are no longer in production, the information below, taken from the Big Briar Information Bullettin No. 9201A, is presented only for historical reasons.

Big Briar Theremins

The Big Briar Series 91 theremins retain the timbre and playing characteristics of Professor Theremin's design, but use contemporary digital and analog integrated circuit technology.

Specifications

GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The Big Briar Series 91 theremins use contemporary solid-state digital and analog technology to implement the tone color and playing characteristics of the space-controlled instruments designed by Leon Theremin during the period 1930 - 1980. Several cabinet styles and interface options are available. All instruments of this series are designed by and built under the supervision of Robert Moog.

PITCH RANGE: Highest playable note is G6 (21/2 octaves above middle C), which is produced when the player's right hand is approximately 1/2 inch from the pitch antenna. Any pitch below G6 may be produced. The lowest playable note is determined by how the player sets the Pitch Antenna adjustment. Most players prefer to set this adjustment so that a pitch between one and two octaves below middle C is produced when the player's body is approximately 24 inches from the pitch antenna and the player's right hand is at his/her shoulder.

Big Briar 91c

VOLUME RANGE: Any volume level from maximum volume to complete silence may be produced. Most players prefer to set the Volume Antenna adjustment so that maximum volume is achieved when the player's left hand is 12 Inches or more above the volume antenna, and complete silence is achieved when the player's left hand is two inches or less above the volume antenna.

PITCH ANTENNA: Heavy-nlckel-plated straight brass tube, 19-1/2 inches long and 3/8 inch in diameter.

VOLUME ANTENNA: Heavy-nickel-plated loop shaped brass tube. Loop is approximately 13 inches long and six inches in diameter; tube diameter is 3/8".

TECHNICAL DESCRIPTION: The Series 91 circuitry is divided into two separately operating parts: Control and Tone Generating.

Control

The control (antenna) circuitry consists of two specially designed antenna coils that form resonant circuits with the antennas themselves. The pitch antenna circuit is excited with a 263 kHz signal, while the volume antenna circuit is excited with a 461 kHz signal. The effects of the proximity of the player's hands are measured by phase and amplitude detection circuits that are coupled to the antenna coils.

RESPONSE SPEED: Pitch and volume of tone respond essentially instantly (delay time less than two milliseconds) to the motions of the player's hands.

Tone Generating

The tone generating circuitry uses contemporary analog synthesizer technology to emulate the waveforms of Professor Theremin's instruments.

TIMBRES: A selection of four discrete timbres is available. Timbres vary in brightness, but conform to the spectral characteristics of Leon Theremin's designs.

AMPLIFIER: A ten-watt amplifier for driving either the small internal speaker, or an 8-ohm extemal speaker, or both, is provided within the Instrument.

POWER REQUIREMENTS: 100-130 volts or 200-260 volts (switch selectable), 50-60 Hz AC, 50 watts. Power is applied to the instrument through an international standard three-conductor power line receptacle.

FRONTPANEL FEATURES:

Volume Antenna adjustment
Pitch Antenna adjustment
Timbre selector switch
Power switch and indicator light
External audio (tone) switch
Internal speaker switch
Headphone jack; 1/8" stereo mini-jack

POWER PANEL FEATURES: The power panel is located at the bottom of the instrument's cabinet, and is readily accessible when the instrument is set up. It contains the power connector, power voltage selector, fuses, and audio, control connectors.

OUTPUT CONNECTORS ON THE POWER PANEL: ALL ARE 1/4" PHONE JACKS

Unbalanced line level audio output
One volt/octave pitch control output
0 - +5 volts volume control output
Speaker output

PERIODIC TUNING AND MAINTENANCE REQUIREMENTS:
Instruments are designed to operate for many years with no internal tuning or maintenance.

Options

OPTION ‘A’ -TRADITIONAL CABINET: Slanted-front cabinet similar in size and shape to instruments built by RCA in 1929, and by Leon Theremin during the period 1930-1938. Cabinet without stand is 20" high, 19" wide, and 12" deep. Matching stand is 22" high, 19" wide, and 12" deep. Stand may be taken apart for travel. Cabinet material is high quality walnut veneer. Finish is hand-rubbed lacquer. Color is dark brown.

OPTION 'B' - U-SHAPED CABINET:Similar in size and shape to instruments more recently designed by Leon Theremin. Cabinet without stand is 18" high, 17-1/4" wide, and 5" deep. Matching stand is 24" high, 18" wide, and 10-1/2" deep. Stand may be taken apart for travel. Cabinet material is hardwood plywood, veneered with black Formica.

OPTION 'C' - CONTEMPORARY CABINET: This interpretation of the traditional Theremin cabinet shape was designed by sculptor David McCornack in 1991. Cabinet without legs is 24" wide, 20" high. and 11" deep. Legs are 28” long, and may be detached for travel. Cabinet material is highest quality cherry veneer. Finish is hand-rubbed lacquer. Color is that of natural cherry wood. Antennas are genuine gold-plated when Option C is selected.

OPTION 'R' - ROAD CASE: Rugged ATA-style road case with heavy-duty recessed hardware. Case is lined with 1" foam.

OPTION 'S' - SMALL EXTERNAL SPEAKER: Heavy-duty, high-efficiency 6” speaker, mounted on a 16” square clear plastic baffle. Supplied with an adjustable tripod stand and connecting cable.

Prices

91A Walnut - $2500
Black - $2650
91 B - $2600
91 C Cherry - $2900
Black - $3050
Walnut - $2900

External Speaker - $ 200
Roadcase for 91A - $ 375
Roadcase for 91B - $ 325
Roadcase for 91C - $ 595

[Copyright: © 1996 Moog Music]

halen99

Post by halen99 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:26 pm

That's about all the info I can find on it myself. Mine is just like that, I have the stand part too.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:04 pm

Let's see...$2600 in say, 1996, when gas was a buck twenty a gallon here in the US, would probably be equal to $4000 in 2009 dollars or therabouts. Figuring the rarity factor, as Big Briar built stuff on a limited basis of typically 300-1000 unit runs except for the MoogerFoogers, this could fetch at least 5500 USD on E-bay. If I were you, I'd keep it, though. That theremin is part of Bob Moog's legacy, after all. Read: PRICELESS. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Theremint

Looky here me lads

Post by Theremint » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:34 pm

Hey Halen99,

Let me know if you ever want to sell that puppy.

Theremint

halen99

Post by halen99 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:39 pm

:) I can't sell it but I'd love to know what a good street value is.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:00 pm

I thought I had seen a U shaped RCA Cabinet. The post seems to contradict my statement. I thought the one played by Kavina in the DVD was an RCA that looked exactly like that. I like that U design because you don't see them all the time.

Have you ever opened it up and looked at it and how much does it weigh?

Eric

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 pm

Hi Eddie -

Just out of curiousity - what's the serial # of the 91B? The serial number is on a small plate fastened to the bottom of the unit if I remember correctly.

There were only ~ 150 Series 91s made.

Most were the 91A model which was the the "traditional" podium shaped one, they had a fold down ledge for sheet music - nice touch.

The 91B was probably the second most popular - not too many of those were made - maybe a couple/few dozen were made. Angelo Moore of Fishbone had one of these - it was stolen last year :(

THe 91Cs were even rarer - of course they were the most expensive...

Those are all really nice instruments - the 91B cabinets were mostly made in the shop at Big Briar. Most of the 91 series special hardware components (antennas, antenna connectors, sheetmetal) were made in the shop too. Even the PCBs were assembled there (soldered by hand). Bob meticulously checked out every one that was made before it shipped. The series 91 was a very laborious product!

The coolest thing about the Series 91 is that the distances between the notes is really linear - it makes it different to play than the Etherwave, Ethervox, or Etherwave Pro, but a really easy theremin to learn how to play.

It was the Series 91 that led to the Etherwave, which led to the moogerfoogers, which led to the Voyager...and so on...

Ahhh memory lane....

SD

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:21 pm

Steve,
I really wish that you guys would consistantly write stuff like this down in a Book.

The History of Moog Music

It would be a fascinating read. Perhaps thats an Idea for the Foundation.

I really enjoyed the inteo in the Freq Box manual about Bob's belly laugh and the development of the Freq. I wish there were a lot more stories like that in the manuals, or at least a webpage or something for the products.

Eric

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:57 pm

EricK wrote:Steve,
I really wish that you guys would consistantly write stuff like this down in a Book.

The History of Moog Music

It would be a fascinating read. Perhaps thats an Idea for the Foundation.

Eric
YES! A NINE THOUSAND FORTY TWO page tome covering Bob's entire life and meticulously going over each item ever produced by Moog Music/Big Briar with a paragraph describing why each transistor, capacitor, and resistor was chosen for each product. Going into vivid detail about every project Bob ever worked on, even the ones NOT Moog Music related. That would make a great centerpiece for the museum! Put it on a pedestal in the front atrium for all to see. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

halen99

Post by halen99 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:17 pm

hey I'll post the serial tonight. thanks for the info!

Eddie

halen99

Post by halen99 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:20 pm

Sorry I don't see any serial number or faceplate anywhere. No other markings that I can find.