Etherwave Kit

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
Front Half

Etherwave Kit

Post by Front Half » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:40 am

I have been wanting a theremin for years, and I've decided that I'm finally going to get one. The problem is that I can't decide what to get. I wan't the fully assembled theremin, but I am on a budget, so I might have to get the kit. Is it difficult to assmeble? I'm not great with electronics. The only experience I've had is from fixing up electric guitars. If you've assembled it, or know someone who has, could you please tell me exactly how much assembly is required? Thanks!

Jonathan
I am the best person ever.

Front Half

Post by Front Half » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:43 am

Also, how does the casing compare between the two? The kit is made of birch plywood. Is the fully assembled one much better?
I am the best person ever.

Lothar

Re: Etherwave Kit

Post by Lothar » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:23 am

Front Half wrote:I might have to get the kit. Is it difficult to assmeble? I'm not great with electronics. The only experience I've had is from fixing up electric guitars. If you've assembled it, or know someone who has, could you please tell me exactly how much assembly is required? Thanks!
Jonathan -

When I assembled my etherwave (back in 1996!) the only experience I had in soldering and electronics was fixing my headphones. Assembling the etherwave electronics took me an evening and was very straightforward.
Front Half wrote:Also, how does the casing compare between the two?
The casings use identical materials. The kit uses unfinished wood while the preassembled version has a black laquer finish. Sanding, staining, and finishing the casing of my kit took me two additional evenings, but it was totally worth it. Now I have a unique looking theremin with forest green stained wood.

~Jon
[url=http://www.wobblymusic.com/lothars]The Lothars on the Web[/url]