Best theremin for a beginner

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
VCO

Best theremin for a beginner

Post by VCO » Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:50 pm

This question is for theremin users. I know that moog makes the thereminmini, sort of like a theremin with training wheels to use a bicycle analogy. I was wondering excluding that model which theremin would you choose for your first theremin
and do you have to have a special amplifier for it? I have a voyager and would like to implement that with a theremin. I’ve seen the voyager used with one as a midi controller. Seems to make great sci fi effects. Although I know in the hands of a master it can sound like a violin. Was also wondering if the audio outputs were in stereo as well. I’ve seen a documentary on Leo theremin and the instrument seems as fascinating as the man behind the instrument. The RCA one is out of the question lol. Thanks

mfl

Re: Best theremin for a beginner

Post by mfl » Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:07 pm

VCO wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:50 pm I was wondering excluding that model which theremin would you choose for your first theremin
I'm no expert (and don't even own a Theremini) so take my opinion for what it's worth but for beginners, I'd strongly recommend the Theremini.

Not for its 'training wheels' features (pitch quantization that can be turned on and off) but for how easily its playing range can be changed (the user manual suggest starting with a 3.5ish octaves setting and I agree with that recommendation).

I would never trade my beloved Etherwaves even for a functioning RCA (ignoring the fact that I could probably resell it for an insane profit) but unless you're particularly gifted, its default 5 octaves playing range can sometimes be discouraging for a self-taught beginner. 5 is still far from the 7+ octaves setting of a 'professional' thereminist but still not easy.

Of course, the Etherwave's range can also be modified for about 3 to 7 octaves or possibly even 9 for the new Etherwave and its coupling adjustment, but that's not something I would recommend attempting to someone without a solid theremin background.

The Claravox would offer the best of both worlds (dual analog and digital engines) but that seems overkill and I would not consider its price appropriate for a beginner. There are also other theremin manufacturers outside of the Moog ecosystem if you look around but I'm not aware of any as beginner friendly as the Theremini.

Start with a Theremini and once you're more experienced and comfortable playing it, upgrade to a more beautiful one and gift it to a child of one of your relatives or friends. Its white plastic, retro-futurist / Apple style design... but considering its price and feature set, refusing to get one for purely esthetic reasons seems absurd to me (to my defense, it didn't exist when I got my first Etherwave).
Etherwave+ > Eurorack > [CV cables] > Minitaur , Sirin < [USB cables] < Bidule < nanoKontrols

VCO

Post by VCO » Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:10 pm

Thanks for the information. What do you use for an amplifier? Do you have to use something designed for a theremin? Don’t you have to have a stand as well?
Is the theremin in stereo? I would think everyone is different but how long did it take before you
Could play it well? I saw once a teacher teaching a student to read music notation for it. Doyou play
Things by ear, which I would think so being your constantly finding your intonation?
The notation looked different as well although I don’t know much abut the notation. I used to play violin and I know how difficult that was. Do you think playing the theremin is similar to the violin in the fact that you have to be adjusting and finding your pitch as well as using vibrato. It seemed to me that playing a scale from left to right seemed difficult to stay in tune where as staying on a single note lended itself to sounding more in tune. I play piano so tuning is fixed if I’m out of tune it’s because the piano needs tuned. The theremin I would think would be very hard to play staccato.
It sounds beautiful for slower and longer sustaining notes in my opinion. Sorry for all the questions just don’t know much about the instrument thanks

VCO

Post by VCO » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:05 am

I found out it has stereo outputs and a headphone output. I saw that it has sounds from animoogz which I have.
Wasn’t sure if I could connect the theremini via midi as in the standard 5 pin standard midi to possibly my voyager or pro3 or any synth that has 5pin din I think that’s what it’s called. I guess there’s usb midi my sequential pro3 has that as well as 5pin midi. I would think maybe you would have to get an adapter to take it from usbmidi to 5 pin midi. I’ve never done that so I’m not
Sure. I also was wondering if you could sit down while playing? I remember that you have to be careful not to have something in between it or it will go crazy. Not sure how all of that works I thought it used the persons body somehow
So you could control it with the two antennas. I’ve never seen the back of the theremini so I wasn’t sure if it offered it offered the 5 pin midi on the back as well. I was going to try to connect it from my voyager or sequential pro3 as the master and use the theremini as the slave. I guess you can use the theremini as a controller? Wasn’t sure how that all worked.

mfl

Post by mfl » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:41 pm

That's too many questions ;) I'll answer a few and will leave links to the user manuals that should help you with most others.
VCO wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:10 pm What do you use for an amplifier?
No need for a special amplifier. At home I use almost exclusively headphones and when playing with others, I use my bass amp (any guitar or synth amp should do the job).
VCO wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:10 pm I don’t know much abut the notation.
There are no specific theremin partitions. Just traditional 5 lines with G, F or C clef. If you can do solfege, you can use any monophonic instruments' partitions. Theremin is the instrument where the old saying: If you can sing it, you can play it, makes the more senses.
VCO wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:10 pm Do you think playing the theremin is similar to the violin in the fact that you have to be adjusting
Yes, very similar. Just a bit harder as the note positions can change if you move your body even slightly or if anything in the environment changes (temperature, humidity or if someone gets near you.. must always adjust and re-tune if necessary). A smaller note range (more distance between each notes) makes it much easier, the main reason I suggested starting with a Theremini.

(linked from: https://www.moogmusic.com/downloads)
Thermini manual
Etherwave manual
Claravox manual
Etherwave+ > Eurorack > [CV cables] > Minitaur , Sirin < [USB cables] < Bidule < nanoKontrols

mfl

Post by mfl » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:28 pm

VCO wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:05 am I also was wondering if you could sit down while playing?
Yes!

I never do but that should reduce the effect of unconscious movements to keep your balance while playing and would greatly improve your stability (just a bit less fun, probably a worthy trade off but I'm a bit stubborn).

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha8rerckieA&t=121s