Voyager with a theremin

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
VCO

Voyager with a theremin

Post by VCO » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:49 pm

Do any theremin users use thier theremin with a voyager? And if you do how do you use it? I have a voyager and don’t play the theremin although I’ve seen the voyager used with a theremin. I always thought the theremin to be the great granddaddy in the evolution to the moog synthesizer. I have always loved how the theremin can sound like a violin in the hands of a master. I know it’s very difficult to learn and have admiration and respect for those that can play this unusual and unique yet expressive instrument

VCO

Re: Voyager with a theremin

Post by VCO » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:20 am

It seems that after some reading a person would have to have a theremin with two cv outs to use with a voyager. The theremini has only one. The higher end theremins would be needed and that utilize two cv outs

mfl

Post by mfl » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:56 pm

VCO wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:20 am It seems that after some reading a person would have to have a theremin with two cv outs to use with a voyager. The theremini has only one. The higher end theremins would be needed and that utilize two cv outs
Correct, the Theremini does not have dedicated CV outs for each antennas. Would needs 2 to control both the pitch of VCOs and the VCA using CVs.

It can still be useful to control other synth parameters using its single CV out (ex: an LFO rate if a CV input for that is available or your synth) but not enough to fully replace a keyboard or a sequencer.

The Claravox and the new Etherwave (previous one needed an additional CV module that wasn't installed by default) offers independent CV outs for each antennas + Gate (usually to trigger the Filter EG,). Edit: Claravox doesn't seems to have a Gate output but I could be wrong.
Etherwave+ > Eurorack > [CV cables] > Minitaur , Sirin < [USB cables] < Bidule < nanoKontrols

VCO

Post by VCO » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:58 pm

So does Moog call thier newest theremin the moog ether wave theremin? Does it have the correct amount of cvs to connect to a moog voyager? I read it used things from the ether wave plus I think. Wasn’t sure of all the features that were offered. I saw the price for a pro which I guess has been discontinued. They were really expensive. I think I’m leaning toward the moog etherwave theremin.
Do you think that would be a good one to use with a synth that has cv and also a good one to learn on playing it the traditional way? Wouldn’t I need a stand as well if I stood up? I already have a keyboard amp that’s in stereo I use with the voyager. Thanks

mfl

Post by mfl » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:54 am

VCO wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:58 pm So does Moog call thier newest theremin the moog ether wave theremin? Does it have the correct amount of cvs to connect to a moog voyager? I read it used things from the ether wave plus I think.
Yes, the new (2022) Etherwave is simply called Etherwave Theremin and now includes the 'plus upgrade' (CV module) by default.

https://www.moogmusic.com/products/etherwave-theremin

Assuming the voyager has 1/4 inch CV inputs for VCO and VCA, you'll simply need 3.5mm to 1/4 inch cables (not hard to find).

Twice the price of a Theremini (and no digital help to change the playing range) but twice the CV outputs + a Gate output to trigger the filter EG.
Etherwave+ > Eurorack > [CV cables] > Minitaur , Sirin < [USB cables] < Bidule < nanoKontrols

VCO

Post by VCO » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:25 am

Does it have midi? Or is that only on the claravox? I don’t use cv and only have experience with midi. I wasn’t sure if at minimum you had to have midi and the two cv outs on the theremin for it to connect. I wasn’t sure if that midi was via usb. I have a sequential pro3 that has midi via usb and regular 5 pin din midi in out and thru. Saw videos on utube where the theremin was used as a controller. I’m just not sure what’s all involved since different theremins have different features. I would think there are various applications. Im just void of understanding all the details. Seems like the devil is in the details. Thanks you seem to know what’s going on with all of this. Take care

VCO

Post by VCO » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:45 am

I don’t use cv just midi so my understanding is limited. I simply just use midi to use one synth as a master and the other as a slave. Most number of synths I’ve had midied up has been three at once. I realize midi can do much more than the limited application I’m using it for. I just saw the theremin being used as a controller and thought that would be a lot easier than learning how to play the theremin which is very difficult. I thought that would be the most musical way to use the theremin since I have synths with cv. Thanks

mfl

Post by mfl » Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:42 pm

VCO wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:25 am Does it have midi? Or is that only on the claravox?
No, the Etherwave does not have MIDI (that would requires digital signal processing). On paper, the Claravox does have MIDI but I've never tried it so I can't tell how good it works.

With the Etherwave, you set the 'root note' with a MIDI controller (or the synth keyboard, I believe the Voyager has one) and use the pitch antenna to add a CV offset to the VCOs, similar to how a pitch bend wheel works.

The Gate output is used to start notes and trigger envelopes after the root note has been set. Just avoid using the amp. envelope (set Attack to minimum and Sustain to maximum) when controlling the synth volume (VCA) with the second antenna.

CV is not complicated, just need a few tries (and maybe watching a YouTube tutorial about CVs) to get it right.

VCO

Post by VCO » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:50 pm

Thanks for that information I’m starting to think though that maybe the theremin is a bad idea for me. I wouldn’t play it in the traditional sense. It seems like it is very difficult to learn . I thought after seeing how it was used as a controller with synths it might be interesting to try although the cost adds up. I’m more at home with polyphony being that I’m a piano player. I like monophonic synths and monophonic instruments but I think I would probably get an analog polyphonic synth before I would get a theremin, but then again you never know. Appreciate the information though so if I decide to get a theremin I would at least know what I would have to contend with. Thanks again appreciate your insight. I wouldn’t have really understood what was required if you hadn’t explained it. Take care