Moog Claravox Centennial vs Moog Etherwave?

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
moogywoogy

Moog Claravox Centennial vs Moog Etherwave?

Post by moogywoogy » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:37 am

Hi there. I'm new to this forum, and new to Moog instruments, as I have never owned one or played on. I do, however, have a Moog Matriarch being shipped to me, and I am getting a Moog Theremin as well, but I don't know which one to get,

I am new to Theremins, having never owned or played one. I love the dual functionality of the Moog Claravox Centennial, but apparently some of them have volume issues, among other problems. Is this a common issue? Are the Claravox Centennials considered to be excellent, generally speaking, or are they besieged by problems?

I could get an Etherwave, as I have not heard anything bad about them, but I would lose the digital functionality and midi/usb control. I mainly want the Theremin to use as a synth controller. Would it be better to get the Etherwave for reliability and use the CV pitch out to control the oscillators on an analog synth? Doe the Etherwave offer the player as much fine control as the Claravox? Which one is a better instrument, in your opinion? Maybe the complaints I noticed about the Claravox were from a few people who got bad instruments, whilst many people got excellent instruments and didn't feel the need to mention how good they were?

What do all of you think?

Thanks for any replies. Cheers.

VCO

Re: Moog Claravox Centennial vs Moog Etherwave?

Post by VCO » Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:30 am

I want to use a theremin with my voyager. I don’t know much about theremins though after reading I found out you need two cv outs for pitch and volume to use with a synth that has cv. That claravox centennial is very expensive and also all the problems it had. I would choose that new moog etherwave theremin because of the price features and how dependable and reliable they are. I saw them on sale for 750 dollars. You might also join theremin world forum. It’s a good resource as well
The etherwave theremin uses features from the etherwave plus and the moog etherwave standard I believe if I’m remember right.

VCO

Post by VCO » Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:45 am

That Moog Matriarch is a great synth. Paraphonic as well 4 voices sequencer and arp. Plus analog delay and semi modular. Welcome to the Moog forum , people here are knowledgeable and passionate abut all things moog.

VCO

Post by VCO » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:16 am

The moog matriarch and the grandmother are really something special. I like the fact that the grandmother uses spring reverb and the matriarch has an analog delay. I think the matriarch uses stereo filters like the voyager