How to obtain both note CV and Gate using a Theremini as a controller

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
Durr_GaGa

How to obtain both note CV and Gate using a Theremini as a controller

Post by Durr_GaGa » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:10 am

Some weeks ago, in this post (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35782) I asked if anyone knew how to send Note CV and Gate to my Mother 32 and other synths using MIDI but unfortunately I didn't get any replies. However, I have now found a way of doing it myself and thought the information might be of interest to others who want to use the Theremini as a controller for external synthesizers.

I have two Disting 4s and by selecting the Quantizer algorithm (A6) on one of them and the CV-MIDI algorithm (G8) on the other and connecting the two together, I gain an enormous amount of control. As shown in the attached link, I can use the Theremini volume antenna to bring the Theremini's native sound (03 Eire in the case) in and out as I wish, to produce the illusion of two instruments being played differently at the same time.

For this demonstration, I used one of my two Mother 32s as a drone generator and the other as an ambient 'wind' generator with my B2600 producing the ambient 'melody'.

I hope someone finds this useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcixymSrFMI