Theremini as midi cc controller in Ableton

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
alexolotl

Theremini as midi cc controller in Ableton

Post by alexolotl » Fri May 14, 2021 8:10 pm

I'm trying to follow the instructions linked below to control a VST synth in my DAW (Ableton 11) with the Theremini:

https://moogmusicsupport.zendesk.com/hc ... sing-MIDI-

I've set the midi input for Theremini in Ableton to Track and Remote, and on my specific VST track, I mapped the Theremini's CC 2 and CC 20 to vst synth output volume and pitch bend.

This all seems to work, at least when I add a single sustained note into a clip, I'm able to hear my volume and pitch modulations via midi cc as expected.

The problem I get though is around recording or overdubbing these cc automations over my existing midi note. I can hear my changes while recording, but something seems to be firing too often. The "Re-Enable Automation" button keeps turning itself back on whether or not I'm recording (I turn it off and it flashes back on instantly), and when I open up the clip's Envelopes tab, it repeatedly flickers between the two input cc sources (even when not playing or recording). Do I have some kind of midi feedback going on, or did I perhaps not do this setup as Moog intended in their Support article above?

Thanks