Please help! Etherwave acting very strange all of the sudden.

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
tziporahkates

Please help! Etherwave acting very strange all of the sudden.

Post by tziporahkates » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:09 pm

Hello!
l have been playing my Etherwave theremin for a bit over a year now. l have never had this issue before.
When l go to tune my theremin, and the pitch knob is turned all the way to the left- zero beat becomes only a few inches away from the pitch rod. As l move away from the pitch rod (after zero beat) the pitch goes higher rather than lower. As l turn the knob to the right, the pitch goes higher but zero beat gets closer and closer to the pitch rod until its only about an inch away. The linearity seems very off too.
I have tried setting it up in different rooms, using different speakers or amps, moving all metal objects away, etc.
This came out of nowhere and feels honestly devastating. l have no idea how to fix it or what to do.

mfl

Re: Please help! Etherwave acting very strange all of the sudden.

Post by mfl » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:49 am

Hi

(sorry about the late reply, I hope you've fixed that by now or haven't given up. the thereminworld.com forum might have helped)

It seems that you've reach the point were you need to adjust the 3 internal variable inductors with the tiny red tool that should have been provided with your theremin when you bought it. The section about modifying the range in the user manual provides all the details.

It's a fun and challenging process (frustrating and tedious might be more honest). The first time I've done that took me multiple hours spread over a few days but once you get used to it, it's fairly easy. It's a useful skill to develop that's worth taking the time to learn and as with anything else, gets easier with practice.
Etherwave+ > Eurorack > [CV cables] > Minitaur , Sirin < [USB cables] < Bidule < nanoKontrols