Theremin Newbie and Having Fun

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
ContraDude

Theremin Newbie and Having Fun

Post by ContraDude » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:14 pm

Hi All,

I have recently developed an interest in the theremin and am at the very beginning of learning how to play it. I just got a Theremini and it’s been a lot of fun! As a classically trained musician, I’m not afraid of it and have long known that it’s a difficult instrument to play. Just the same, I’m having a blast with it.

At this time, I’m looking for good instructional videos and/or other resources. I’ve been combing YouTube and as many other places I can find. I’ve also looked through this and other sites.

Does anyone here have suggestions as to recommended resources for beginners? Thanks!

GregAE

Re: Theremin Newbie and Having Fun

Post by GregAE » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:20 am

Check out Carolina Eyck on Facebook - she's a terrific Thereminist. In an old FB post she explained her hand gesture method for getting correct pitches. Might be a good place to start.

Good luck! :D

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:33 pm

Lydia Kavina is probably the most experienced theremin player out there. She began to use social networks this year and does free workshops online every Sunday
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

ContraDude

Post by ContraDude » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:48 pm

GregAE wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:20 am Check out Carolina Eyck on Facebook - she's a terrific Thereminist. TIn an old FB post she explained her hand gesture method for getting correct pitches. Might be a good place to start.

Good luck! :D

Thank you! I’ve seen some of her videos - she’s brilliant! I’ll look for here hand gesture video!

ContraDude

Post by ContraDude » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:51 pm

bichuelo wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:33 pm Lydia Kavina is probably the most experienced theremin player out there. She began to use social networks this year and does free workshops online every Sunday
Thanks! Ironically, I found her web site after I posted this and just finished taking today’s workshop. While it’s no longer free, it is very reasonable and I learned a great deal. I’m going to see if I can take some lessons with her.