Theremin etherwave

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
Psyordie

Theremin etherwave

Post by Psyordie » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:39 am

So I bought the Moog etherwave theremin thinking I’ll be able to use it as a midi controller since I watched a few videos that made this seem possible and also posts but seems I’ll need a cv to midi converter can anyone shed any light one this?

Or should I sell this and get the theremini instead which I know does this easily.

Thanx

JimF

Re: Theremin etherwave

Post by JimF » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:16 am

Hi Psyordie,

if you have an EW Plus, it has cv outputs. With a suitable cv->MIDI converter, this _might_ work. But you would need to check it, as the conversion process can be touchy and the results sometimes unreliable, depending on the combination of devices (theremin, converter, synthesizer etc). If you have an EW standard, you will need to hotrod it with the necessary cv outputs, ie build additional circuits into it as described in the manual and/or various online documents. But you will still need to play around with cv->MIDI converters.

Your simplest route may be a Theremini. But i have no experience with that instrument, so will have to leave advice to others who are familiar with it.

Cheers,

JimF

_DemonDan_

Re: Theremin etherwave

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:47 am

Psyordie wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:39 am...seems I’ll need a cv to midi converter can anyone shed any light on this?

Or should I sell this and get the theremini instead which I know does this easily.
Hi Psyordie,

I'd say that the money and time you'll spend on a CV-to-MIDI convertor would be better spent getting a Theremini.

The exception to this would be if you also had other uses for a CV-to-MIDI convertor.

This video uses both the Etherwave Plus and Theremini in various controller uses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hae0g-lDOqw
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _