Are theremin's pitch hand positions unique?

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
Buffaloris

Are theremin's pitch hand positions unique?

Post by Buffaloris » Fri May 08, 2020 2:11 am

I don't know much about theremins, and wondered about this: given a constant volume, I would like to know if I can produce the same note with different hand positions or if all notes have a specific/unique combination of hand positions.

In other words: can I correctly deduce the pitch hand position from the sound (frequency) of a note only? What is the degree of uncertainty?

JimF

Re: Are theremin's pitch hand positions unique?

Post by JimF » Sat May 09, 2020 1:52 am

Hi Buffaloris,

using the most common playing technique, of different degrees of curvature/extension/splaying of the fingers of the right hand to produce different pitches, it is possible to produce the same pitch with different positions, eg, a note played with fingers extended can also be played with the fingers less extended but the hand drawn slightly closer to the antenna. This position technique is not dissimilar to that used by violinists etc.

You might like to check Carolina Eyck's method book, 'The Art of Playing the Theremin', ISBN 3-033 757-08-8, for details.

Cheers,

Jim F.

JimF

Re: Are theremin's pitch hand positions unique?

Post by JimF » Sat May 09, 2020 1:54 am

Sorry, typo in the ISBN number of Carolina's book. Should be

ISBN 3-933 757-08-8

Jim