Moog Etherwave Theremin recordings...?

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
BlackWorm

Moog Etherwave Theremin recordings...?

Post by BlackWorm » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:21 am

I just tried a theremin (is that how you spell it?) for the first time - it was new so I guess one of Dr Bob's re-issues. Good fun (crap it's expensive though!) but I really had no idea what i was doing; anyone know of some good recorded examples of it's use? If they were in the context of listenable music rather than psychedelic soundscapes that would be a bonus :D

kokoran

Re: Moog Etherwave Theremin recordings...?

Post by kokoran » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:09 am

here’s some more notable theremin players to check out, just to hear the instrument. *not all use a moog theremin* but it sounds like you just want to hear actual music played on the instrument. so...

Clara Rockmore
was the original theremin virtuoso. She moved from violin to theremin because of arthritis. any of her pieces are masterfully played, however I believe she is most known for “the Swan.” She probably used an original by Leon Theremin.

Lydia Kavina was a relative to Leon Theremin and started learning the instrument at nine. She is also a composer and teacher. She has a video that is rather helpful for learning good techniques. Doesn’t seem like she uses a Moog, but the video has an introduction with Bob Moog.

Miklós Rózsa played on “The Subconscious” and “Dementia” from the soundtrack to Alfred Hitchcock’s Spellbound. I’m guessing that she probably used an RCA.

Carolina Eyck is also a master of the instrument and absolutely worth looking into. She seems to uses a Moog Etherwave Pro.

Armen Ra is a NYC based theremin player who is sort of like if Klaus Nomi played theremin. uses an etherwave pro and highly recommended.

a little more “out there...”

the outsider artist KRK Ryden is a theremin player who has collaborated with DEVO live. The only recording I know of, with him, is as “Ken the Magic Corner God” playing the song “Daisy” on a compilation put together by Mark Ryden (where different artists interpret the song, Daisy.) He uses a Moog Etherwave.

Film maker Kenneth Anger occasionally performs theremin live with Brian Butler (for their Technicolor Skull project) in LA for the occasion of the Autumnal Equinox and what-not. I believe he uses a Moog Etherwave.

haven’t heard said performance, but the 60’s psychedelic band “Lothar and the hand people” were known for their theremin performances. perhaps they warrant a mention. theremin brand unknown.

Hope this helps and please post back if you discover any artists or tracks that you’d like to share!

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:52 pm

Or... If you were thinking:

"I wonder if there are any Theremin players that like to light it on fire when they play it?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d21auUsROcQ
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

mackjone

Post by mackjone » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:47 am

Armen Ra is a NYC based theremin player who is sort of like if Klaus Nomi played theremin. uses an etherwave pro and highly recommended https://blackfridayvpn.me/