Theremin grounded

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
Miriam_M2

Theremin grounded

Post by Miriam_M2 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:30 am

Hello

I´m still new and need your help.

I‘ve got a Moog theremin and it needs to be grounded. In Europe there are only power adapters with two plugs and no grounding option. There is an american version with three plugs, but I don‘t know, if I can use this one or if there are any other possibilities.

Many thanks for your help.

Regard Miriam.

JimF

Re: Theremin grounded

Post by JimF » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:24 am

Hi Miriam,

I know this problem. it is one of the _bad_ things from the Moog supplier in Germany (where I live), for instance, that the only European Etherwave power supply available is 2-pin, without a ground connection. Some years ago I bought a spare for my EW, and took issue with the supplier about it. I was told that nothing else was available, take it or leave it, and it was assumed that the ground would be supplied by amplifier/PA etc. This is of course not always the case.

The workaround is to connect a single wire to the earth side (sleeve) of the jack that you put into the output socket, and connect the other end of this, via an alligator clip, to the earth connection of a European grounded socket. I have used this solution or some variation on it for years (including in this video: https://youtu.be/Aw11FMeJo08 from the Thermein Academy in Lippstadt last year). Several participants at the Academy used the same solution.

Good luck!

Jim F.

JimF

Re: Theremin grounded

Post by JimF » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:26 am

PS _Don't_ use an American power supply in Europe, the voltages are wrong.

Jim F.