New Player Questions - Left Handed & Videos

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
Zirconium

New Player Questions - Left Handed & Videos

Post by Zirconium » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:54 pm

Alike many others, I find the theremin a fascinating concept and have come across the theremini. I have a couple of questions that I hope you can help with.

I am left handed and would naturally want to use my left hand for the pitch antenna and right hand for the volume antenna. The theremini is therefore handed in an orientation where I wouldn't be able to directly see the screen to help me utilise the note feedback. I previously contacted Moog to find out if they sell a left handed theremini, but they unfortunately do not (a left handed version or modularity within the design to be able to change the handing of the screen would be an idea for the future).

Is it possible to directly relay the theremini screen to a television, computer or monitor so that a left handed player can see the screen?

In researching the theremin I have naturally come across theremin videos from the likes of Lydia Kavina and Carolina Eyck. However, I'm failing to come across videos of what I would consider to be playing the theremini "properly". There are a lot of first play demonstrations, but youtube videos from the likes of Dorit Chrysler or Clara Venice seem to randomly mix the theremini into music for odd backing sounds or sessions with voice that don't resemble anything recognisable.

Are there any particular sites or performers to look at who demonstrate the theremini being used to its full potential for mainstream music?

I appreciate the reputation of the theremin as a difficult instrument to learn, however I am trying to understand if the theremini is significantly easier to learn with, if most people don't progress very far, or always move on to a traditional theremin? Put simply, there seems to be an absence of videos of people learning, trying techniques and settings as you normally find for most instruments.

ehrichweiss

Re: New Player Questions - Left Handed & Videos

Post by ehrichweiss » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:55 pm

Hi, I know it's been a while since you likely thought about this post but I have some insight for ya...

I am a right handed musician and I play bass so I, and many other right handed players of stringed instruments, tend to select the notes with my left hand just as you are describing so I understand. It hit me today that volume and pitch are in the wrong places for me and I went searching for a solution(there is none), and then I emailed Moog in hopes they'll implement such a thing. If not, I may see about making a custom case for mine and may consider selling them(I have a CNC so duplication would be easy enough). So there is some hope.

haleyb

Re: New Player Questions - Left Handed & Videos

Post by haleyb » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:23 am

huh, and I thought that I\m the only one who is right-handed but use left-handed setup :D