Auto Mute isn't working

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
kirstietostevin

Auto Mute isn't working

Post by kirstietostevin » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:15 pm

Hello everyone! I'm a brand new theremini baby, and today I was doing the very first task - calibrating my new theremini. Everything was going wonderfully until I realised that no matter how many times I went through 'setup' and used the 'presets' knob to select 'Yes', auto-mute will not work.

When I have my hands away from the volume, it continues to play loudly. It is only once I remove my hand from along the pitch antenna scale line (of course) that the sound stops. This makes it almost impossible to silently line up notes with my pitch hand before increasing the volume. I've been into setup multiple times and it definitely says that Auto-mute is on - so am I missing something? Am I expecting it to work in a different way than I thought?

My understanding was that when you took your hand away from the volume, it should mute. Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks so much in advance for any advice!

bichuelo

Re: Auto Mute isn't working

Post by bichuelo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:12 am

It refers to the pitch antenna, not to the volume
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

vamshi

Re: Auto Mute isn't working

Post by vamshi » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:25 am

Hello Kirstietosrevin...

Your Theremini should be OK.
But when tuning while the setup, the right hand's distance should be zero ie, we should touch the pitch antenna when it asks to bring the right hand closer to the pitch antenna while tuning it and we should'nt use the distance more than the fore arm's length for lowest pitch the next step. And ofcourse the volume antenna tuning to be done not more than 6 inches away ie, 6 inches for note on and lesser to low down and finally mute it when the hand is still closer. Hope after this, your Theremini will be silent when you are away with auto mute on.