Theremini Calibration issues

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
kellfire

Theremini Calibration issues

Post by kellfire » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:59 am

Greetings!
I recently bought a theremini and have tried many times to calibrate it using the manual's method. The main issue I'm having is that there is no calibration info for the theremini that goes beyond the manual, nor are there any beginner theremin tutorial videos that are theremini-centric (beyond the box-opening, deconstruction), so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've done the calibration set up a bunch of times and it seems like I'm doing it wrong since the note range is less when I play than in tutorial videos I've watched. I'm pretty sure that the normal theremin setup rules don't apply to the theremini. I've done everything I could possibly think of and am now stumped. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
K

kellfire

Re: Theremini Calibration issues

Post by kellfire » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:34 pm

****UPDATE*****
I did happen upon the Scale function that controls how many octaves in the field! Though I am proud of finding it on my lonesome, it would be nice of Moog to make a getting started THEREMINI video. Next year when I have managed (hopefully) to become an adequate player, I will make one if no one else has by then.

mrwalker13

Post by mrwalker13 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:48 am

I agree with you as I am in the same boat. There needs to be some sort of video or better descriptions in the manual provided. The note range is also very small for me and also the distance that the pitch antenna responds to doesn't seem to be that big for me either. I have calibrated it dozens of times and when I try different distances when holding the hand close and far while doing the calibration, it doesn't seem to make a difference. It could be me, I know that, I might be doing something wrong, but how am I meant to know without proper instructions?

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:16 pm

Hello, there are a few prerequisites: The space around the Instrument must be free of any conducting material, i.e. no metal or cables near the antennas.
Even wood (table) could be too much capacity. Best is to use a microphone stand. I put it on a big dry cardboard box.
Though the teremini itself should be grounded, either via the power supply and a grounded wall outlet, via a grounded amplifier or via the ground screw on the back.
I did everything that the Display asks for (near = 3 - 6 cm distance to the antenna, far = 40 - 60 cm from the antenna).
And it worked. Good luck!