Theremini problem

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
bizarre

Theremini problem

Post by bizarre » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:28 pm

Hello!, my Theremini sounds shaky at low frequencies and even, the passage from some notes to another is longer than normal.

I have calibrated it repeatedly, changed banks and the problem continues.

What I can do?

katiepritchard31

Re: Theremini problem

Post by katiepritchard31 » Wed May 03, 2017 11:34 am

Same problem I am faced with my dad's one!

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Wed May 03, 2017 9:04 pm

You should contact tech support, that sounds to me like a faulty IC on the pitch antenna board
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:04 pm

I think it is not the pitch board, but insufficient grounding of the instrument.
Also read my post here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28394
The Theremini power supply is special because Gnd (outer contact of DC plug) is connected to the PE (protective earth) contact of the mains plug.
This is not the case with many other power supplies.
I also noted that not all old style transformer power supplies (heavy wall warts) are suited because Theremini is susceptable to ripple on the DC (you hear a humm in the Audio).
Only good quality regulated supplies with Gnd (3-wire mains cord) will work.

gingercat

Post by gingercat » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:50 am

Had a similar problem so returned it for a replacement then the new one started diing it. Turned out it was the power supply on my laptop which i was using for the editor. As soon as i switched it off prblem solved.

Strelok_401

Post by Strelok_401 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:26 pm

Can confirm, I ran into several of the aforementioned issues with my Theremini: both power supply ones (the supply was too weak, or had an inappropriate frequency, and this made the sound of the instrument "blurrier" and transitions slower) and insufficient stability issues due to, well, a wobbly table. Sometimes, issues come from something so simple that it becomes hard to fins :lol: it's like the term "bug" for a computer issue that was coined by an American engineer that ran into issues with one of the first electronic computers in the 40s because a literal bug had climbed into the machine and had himself fried in it...

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:42 pm

Had to google that one.

it was Grace Hopper, actually, who found the burnt moth on a relay inside the computer, in 1945!

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2 ... -bug-.html
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra