no sound

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
creading

no sound

Post by creading » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:22 pm

I recently acquired a Moog Theremin Plus that appears to be in great shape, however I have read that Theremins require a 'keyboard' amplifier. Coming from a guitar playing background I have several guitar amps which I have tried but I can't get a sound out of the Theremin. Not being really schooled in electronics I wonder if the difference between a keyboard type amp and a regular guitar type amp would be so great that the Theremin would not respond at all through the guitar amp?
Tried it through a Fender Excelsior, a Gibson Lab 5 and a Bugera V22.
Is it a compatibility issue with the amps or do I have a problem with the Theremin?
Any information or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
C.

_DemonDan_

Re: no sound

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:05 pm

creading wrote:I have read that Theremins require a 'keyboard' amplifier. Coming from a guitar playing background I have several guitar amps which I have tried but I can't get a sound out of the Theremin. Is it a compatibility issue with the amps or do I have a problem with the Theremin?
Hi creading,

"Keyboard" amps are suggested only because they typically have a higher frequency response compared to a guitar amp and are less likely to distort the sound. But it has nothing to do with whether you'll hear sound or not. (And some people prefer the lower freq response and the availability of distortion.)

Assuming that the theremin is working, my first guess would be that you don't have it mounted to a pole, which means that the Volume antenna (the sideways one) is probably very close to some metal on, in, or under the table you're setting the theremin on. This would effectively make the output volume zero.

To test this theory, mount the theremin to a mike stand and try again.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

creading

Re: no sound

Post by creading » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:03 pm

Thank you for your quick response. You are correct, my first attempt was without a mike stand and I never even thought of that even though in retrospect it is obvious. I will try it again when I get home.

Cheers,
C.